Question on buying Part 135 Operation

lvflyer

I am looking at buying the US part of an international rotorcraft operation. It is currently certified Part 135, but that may be for the whole company. If the company is split and US assets are sold what is the procedure to change the Part 135 certificate to new business name? Does the new business have to start from scratch even though the aircraft and opearation has already received certification?

I did that and all I got was a referral to FSIMS website and told to look it up for myself. While the link has lots of information it doesn't address this specific situation. I would appreciate any insight from those that have gone through the process of purchasing an existing certified 135,133 operation. The Chief Pilot is staying on for a year and then decide after that whether he stays. I am a low time private helicopter pilot with commercial 1000+ PIC fixed wing pilot so would need 300 hours rotorcraft to be the chief pilot so I have to rely on the existing one. Even with that I notice that to get the certificate you have to show experience. How does a person that isn't even a pilot and no experience running and operation under certification be an owner of a part 135/133 operation? The company already has contracts awarded for the next two years for fire suppresion, long line, and tourist transport.

lvflyer, you still need a Director of Operations, Director of Maintenance, Drug & Alcohol testing program and for you to be Chief Pilot you must have 3 years experience in a 135 operation as a PIC qualified line pilot. Who owns the aircraft? Are they leased? Will the leases be void if a new company takes over?

An aviation attorney sounds like a good idea.

Oh, you do not have to be a pilot to OWN a 135 operation!

Good Luck,

Mike

Helicopters are owned. Not large enough to have own maintenance so will be contracted. So for owner to be chief pilot for Part 135 operation you need 3 years experience? What happens if you hire a chief pilot for 6 months to get the certificate and then not have him for the rest of the 2 years and what happens at renewal? Sounds like a chief pilot can hold a company hostage. The contract is for heli-logging and I have no clue about the ins and outs of that. Apparently it is state contract for clean up in marshy area with 750k to 1 million in value for wood. The helicopters are 206 and 412. Can anyone tell me the average wet operating costs of each of these?

Helicopters are owned. Not large enough to have own maintenance so will be contracted. So for owner to be chief pilot for Part 135 operation you need 3 years experience? What happens if you hire a chief pilot for 6 months to get the certificate and then not have him for the rest of the 2 years and what happens at renewal? Sounds like a chief pilot can hold a company hostage. The contract is for heli-logging and I have no clue about the ins and outs of that. Apparently it is state contract for clean up in marshy area with 750k to 1 million in value for wood. The helicopters are 206 and 412. Can anyone tell me the average wet operating costs of each of these?

Respectfully,

The questions you are asking are not appropriate for a website with anonymous participants. Furthermore, it appears you are in over your head. IMHO, a low-time Private Helicopter Pilot has no business attempting to be the CP of a Helilogging Company. I suggest you employ a Helicopter Industry Professional to guide your interests and maybe after 10 or 15 years of experience under your belt, you can take on the CP responsibilities.

Again, I mean this with the utmost respect. The helicopter business is like no other business. Success will not come from the application of a typical business plan or model. Unfortunately, a misguided helicopter company will not only suffer financially, it could possibly end up killing people.

Edited by Spike

I'm legit, just maybe a bit naive. I've got 2 helicopters now and don't know what to do with them. I got a substantial inheritance and looks like I made a bad decision even though the aircraft are well worth the money.

I won’t appear to have an hidden agenda. However, if you succeed, I’d appreciate a CP job!

I suggest you head on down to HeliExpo and start making some Call When Needed (CWN) and/or Exclusive Use fire contract connections for the 2011 fire season. That is, if their still available. PART135 Certification is not required.

PM me if you want further details.

Heres what I'd do: Place a job opening for a Director of Operations with an emphasis on what the company you bought was doing before. You'll pay for it, but having some upper level management personnel should help avert disaster. There are plenty of owners out there who dont neccesarily run the day to day of their company, and in you're company everyone here would advise against it. One of the good things about the helicopter industry is that personell costs pale in comparison to operating costs...makes you feel better signing payroll checks :)

Going to Heli-Expo is a good idea. Maybe consider asking around about who you could bring on as a consultant to help you get started with your company. It sounds like you have the money and its better to spend it now than lose it later.

HeliiBoy has some good points. I neglected to take into consideration your existing contract. Absolutely, hire a DO and finish the contract. After that, calculate the profitability of helilogging. However, I’ll stick to my HeliExpo recommendation and at least make the fire connections. Or a better way to look at it; make an attempt to diversify the operation and try not to stick to one particular sector. If you can keep the machine on logging contracts year after year, then stick to logging. But, having a plan B such as fire may be critical to survival, especially with a medium.

Good luck.