FAA Written Exam - Private Pilot

Despam

I will be coming for PPL, IFR and CPL training by March 2012. Am almost done with selecting a flight school.

I want to start preparing for PPL Ground school. What books or materials should I read or buy in order to prepare well for the PPL written. I want to write the exam as soon as I arrive USA.

Should I prepare for IFR Ground School also? If yes, what books should I read? or I should concentrate on only PPL Ground School?

Thanks in advance for your advice and contribution.

The Dauntless software is good for practicing to take the written. The link in my signature has some recommended reading. Other than that, take one certificate at a time.

I used the demo version of the software. I tried buying it but had issues with my credit card and couldn't get support from them to get it resolved. I have ASA Private Prepware now.

I started with Rotor-craft Flying Handbook, of which you can download for free, I personally prefer having it in front of me and definitely get the ASA Private Pilot Prepware, this will help you a lot for your written. There are many other books out there, but this will get ya started...GOOD LUCK!!!

-Dustin

I have the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook and have purchased the ASA Private Pilot Prepware. So am good to go. Thanks.

I used the demo version of the software. I tried buying it but had issues with my credit card and couldn't get support from them to get it resolved. I have ASA Private Prepware now.

Yeah, I've used the Dauntless software for my CFI and CFII written's, and would recommend it. However, I also had problems with my Credit Card denying and saying it was a fraudulent. I received a call from my bank that asked if I actually had placed that order. So, for some reason their business get's flagged as fraudulent.

Yeah, I've used the Dauntless software for my CFI and CFII written's, and would recommend it. However, I also had problems with my Credit Card denying and saying it was a fraudulent. I received a call from my bank that asked if I actually had placed that order. So, for some reason their business get's flagged as fraudulent.

I couldn't get my issue resolved so I decided to move on. Dauntless software has poor technical support. I bought ASA Private Pilot Prepware yesterday. Am sure I will be fine with it.

...I bought ASA Private Pilot Prepware yesterday. Am sure I will be fine with it.

A word of caution. The FAA has been changing their tests, so don't take the actual until you have several practice tests in the HIGH A range!

A few months ago I barely passed the FOI in the very low 70's, despite having scored nothing but high A's on the last dozen or so practice tests (a few even at 100%)!

:ph34r:

Edited by r22butters
  • Like 2

A word of caution. The FAA has been changing their tests, so don't take the actual until you have several practice tests in the HIGH A range!

A few months ago I barely passed the FOI in the very low 70's, despite having scored nothing but high A's on the last dozen or so practice tests (a few even at 100%)!

I was going to say the same thing. I was getting consistent 98% on the Gleim software, and I got a 72 on the written (FOI). The Gleim test bank had a little over 200 questions, but the FAA FOI test bank was over 600 questions. I've heard they're changing all the tests, but the FOI has been hardest hit (so far). I've heard good things about sheppardair.com (I don't know what all ratings they have). Good luck!

• Like 2

Changes to the FAA test have been addressed by Industry and the recent high failure rate of FOI testers has made the FAA look at the recent new questions and their removal!

Also, Industry has assured that we will be consulted and have input to future changes.

I completed a survey about this just two days ago.

Mike

While there is a charge to take the written exam, it is not a charge levied by the FAA, the company that does the exam makes that charge. Since the FAA no longer does written exams directly there is only a couple of vendors.

If you want to start preparing for the instrument written also, look at the Instrument flying handbook and the instrument procedures handbook. Both are downloadable for free on the FAA website, along with the Practical Test Standards.

The FAA has for several years been changing questions on the written exams. While not at the wholesale rate happening recently, but still enough to effect scores.

Thanks for the advice. Am months away from taking the test. I am an international student so I wont be able to take the test till I get to USA in March 2012 since there is no testing centre in Africa.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the advice. Am months away from taking the test. I am an international student so I wont be able to take the test till I get to USA in March 2012 since there is no testing centre in Africa.

Maybe I missed it, but where will you be attending school?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I missed it, but where will you be attending school?

I am considering Civic Helicopters and US Aviation Academy (formerly All American Helicopters). Any advice on these schools?

I hope to leave for school in September, am still gathering my funds.

• 2 years later...

I will be coming for PPL, IFR and CPL training by March 2012. Am almost done with selecting a flight school.

I want to start preparing for PPL Ground school. What books or materials should I read or buy in order to prepare well for the PPL written. I want to write the exam as soon as I arrive USA.

Should I prepare for IFR Ground School also? If yes, what books should I read? or I should concentrate on only PPL Ground School?

Thanks in advance for your advice and contribution.

Test Prep ASA software