Hi, could someone clear up Add On Ratings for me. I'm a bit confused on endorsements needed and given for a PP Fixed Wing adding a PP Rotorcraft. They do not need to take the knowledge test. They do not need a Class B endorsement, They would still need a cross country endorsements though (because in the aeronautical experience they do need x-ctry hours in a helicopter). If someone could clear up these commercial and add on questions I would appreciate it. Thanks.

unfortunately lots of people will give you advice on the internet that is incorrect or misleading.

The best thing you can do is read the FAR's and work with the instructor that is going to sign you off and consult the DPE you will be using to take your checkride.

My opinion..

PIC endorsement is all that is required

then checkride endorsement when ready. That is all.

unfortunately lots of people will give you advice on the internet that is incorrect or misleading.

The best thing you can do is read the FAR's and work with the instructor that is going to sign you off and consult the DPE you will be using to take your checkride.

My opinion..

PIC endorsement is all that is required

then checkride endorsement when ready. That is all.

Of course, if add-on guy is learning in Robinsons, all SFAR stuff still applies.

Never done an add-on, but I do believe they still have to take the written exams (they're just add-on tests). As for endorsements, I would say anything that requires "make and model" would require a new endorsement for helicopters (so far class b seems to be the only one that doesn't)?

What really sucks though is when you think you're going to be tested on something (and so you study your ass of on that subject) but then they don't ask even one related question!

Lindsey is correct...

No, there is no additional written testing required or endorsement of a previous test or signing off additional study of missed questions

I have no idea what you mean by "make and model" pilot #476389... but NO there is no endorsement needed to be given unless as Lindsey stated it is for a Robinson in which case all SFAR crap has to be accomplished.

Edited by apiaguy

For Private Pilot add on:

NO FAA WRITTEN Exam Required

Already hold a Private (or higher) Pilot Certificate

Hold a Current 3rd Class (or higher) FAA Medical Certificate

Complete 20 hours Dual Instruction minimum flight time

Complete 10 hrs of Solo Flight

Pass an FAA Oral and Practical Flight Test

You DO NOT have to hold a Commercial Pilot Certificate in Airplanes to earn your Commercial Certificate in a Helicopter.

Up to 65 hours of your fixed-wing PIC time may be applied towards the 100-hour PIC requirement for the helicopter Commercial Certificate.

35 hours of helicopter PIC for the helicopter Commercial. You will already have at least 10 hours of PIC when you obtain your Helicopter Private (or Private "Add-On") Certificate. Then, you only need an additional 25 hours of helicopter PIC to meet the Commercial helicopter requirements.

If you already hold a Commercial Airplane or ATP Certificate, you do NOT need to take the Helicopter commercial written "Knowledge Test." If you don't hold a Commercial Airplane Rating, you will need to take the Helicopter Commercial Written "Knowledge Test".

50 hrs in helicopters total:

30 hrs from Private Add-On so you would need to add:

10 hr flight instruction

10 hr solo flight

For a CFI add-on there is no minimum specified time. You just need to be able to pass the oral/practical exam.

Edited by nightsta1ker

I have no idea what you mean by "make and model" pilot #476389... but NO there is no endorsement needed to be given unless as Lindsey stated it is for a Robinson in which case all SFAR crap has to be accomplished.

I was looking at student pilot requirements, where the endorsements say "make and model", so I was assuming that an endorsement to fly cc in a Cesna 172 wouldn't count for an S300,..but I guess an add-on rating isn't really a "student", therefore I was looking in the wrong section!

Thanks gents, yeah this add on stuff just gets me going. Not looking forward to it. What we were told is that they only have to complete those parts that say "in a helicopter" for aeronautical experience (61.109) for private add on part 61. For private add on part 141 I only see 3 hours x-country, 3 hours night, 3 hours in prep for practical within 60 days (which is weird because 61.109 ©(3) states 3 hours flight training in prep for practical within the preceding 2 calendar months, so they changed this to 2 calendar months but not the 141 which I find strange) and 5 hours solo which only adds up to 14 hours if my math is correct. What am I missing here? And I do appreciate it guys, Just trying to figure out all of this aeronautical experience needed for 61 and 141 private, commercial, and add on.

According to FAA Order 8080.6E the only written exams required for add-on rating are the ATP, CFI and CFII. For an add-on the required flight time is the time listed in the appropriate section of Part 61 for category and class. For the 'solo' signoff, you still have to list make and model. While the student is a pilot, they have limited authority in the aircraft they may solo. For a initial add-on, the student only needs a solo sign off and the recommendation sign off, except for the SFAR 73. The student is not a 'student pilot' in the accordance with the regs. They already hold a pilot certificate. As for the cross country time the cross country in a helicopter is much different than in an airplane. My commercial students, I give them a road address and they have to fly me to it. When doing stage checks, I don't let even student pilots use the GPS. Every thing is strictly chart based.

The reason for the difference between Parts 61 and 141, is that the FAA has required procedures they have to follow when changing regulations. The resent changes only effected Part 61 and did not involve Part 141.

As for the cross country time the cross country in a helicopter is much different than in an airplane. My commercial students, I give them a road address and they have to fly me to it. When doing stage checks, I don't let even student pilots use the GPS. Every thing is strictly chart based.

How do they find a road address without a GPS,...fly really, really low so they can read the house numbers? :blink:

• 9 months later...

Alright, bonus question time, this is one that I personally had to look up some time ago, seems simple but it's not:

Pilot Jim is already a rated fixed-wing CFI from school W and recieved his commercial helicopter pilot add-on from school X. He then comes to me at school Y, and for the purpose of his file I have to have a copy of his drivers license, certificates, passport endorsements etc etc. Because of his existing ratings and years of experience and already full logbook of other endorsements, do I have to give him a TSA endorsement verifying that he's a US citizen, assuming that he already has one from a previous school in his logbook?

No fair cheating and looking it up...

Alright, bonus question time, this is one that I personally had to look up some time ago, seems simple but it's not:

Pilot Jim is already a rated fixed-wing CFI from school W and recieved his commercial helicopter pilot add-on from school X. He then comes to me at school Y, and for the purpose of his file I have to have a copy of his drivers license, certificates, passport endorsements etc etc. Because of his existing ratings and years of experience and already full logbook of other endorsements, do I have to give him a TSA endorsement verifying that he's a US citizen, assuming that he already has one from a previous school in his logbook?

No fair cheating and looking it up...

No you don't. The license he carries means he's already been vetted.