Guidance Aviation -This is pretty cool..

Goldy

Nope, don't work there, don't know anyone that flies there, never been there, never landed near there, never slept with the owners daughter.

All disclosures done now, I think this was pretty cool of the owner to do...whoever he or she is.

Copied from a press release:

The high-altitude helicopter flight training provider Guidance Aviation of Prescott, Ariz. will be transporting its flight students and instructors to the 11th Annual Helicopter Association International Helicopter Industry Job Fair at Heli-Expo 2013 on Tuesday, March 5. The students and instructors are being provided round-trip transportation, box breakfasts and show passes to Heli-Expo 2013.

"Our job isn't done until our graduates are placed into industry. This is a great opportunity for our current students and flight instructors to get in front of prospective employers and industry leaders. We are grateful to HAI for this event," said John Stonecipher, president and CEO, Guidance Aviation.

Recently, four of Guidance Aviation's instructor pilots landed jobs in industry, with two instructors earning spots at NorthStar Trekking and two others securing positions with Maverick Helicopters.

• Like 4

Sheesh, you guys...

HAI and other events like this are not "job fairs", they are an opportunity to meet people in the industry. Not necessarily networking, but just meeting people, listening to stories, seeing some cool aircraft, and LEARNING. At some point, if you wind up applying with an operator you met at HAI, and they happen to remember you, all the better. I would not go there with any expectation of finding work though. Go because you love helicopters and want to learn more about the industry, not because you want to get a lead on a job. The industry right now is not hiring people who don't meet requirements anyway. You used to be able to get away with not quite meeting posted requirements. Those days are *pretty much* over. Put your time in, pay your dues, work hard, and when you are FULLY QUALIFIED, go put in your job apps and pound the pavement. You will find work. It's the guys with 800 hours (or less) who haven't flown in a year who are half-assedly looking for work anywhere that will take them that can't find jobs. There are a lot of them out there.

• Like 5

Sheesh, you guys...

HAI and other events like this are not "job fairs", they are an opportunity to meet people in the industry. Not necessarily networking, but just meeting people, listening to stories, seeing some cool aircraft, and LEARNING. At some point, if you wind up applying with an operator you met at HAI, and they happen to remember you, all the better. I would not go there with any expectation of finding work though. Go because you love helicopters and want to learn more about the industry, not because you want to get a lead on a job. The industry right now is not hiring people who don't meet requirements anyway. You used to be able to get away with not quite meeting posted requirements. Those days are *pretty much* over. Put your time in, pay your dues, work hard, and when you are FULLY QUALIFIED, go put in your job apps and pound the pavement. You will find work. It's the guys with 800 hours (or less) who haven't flown in a year who are half-assedly looking for work anywhere that will take them that can't find jobs. There are a lot of them out there.

Counterrotate- You have either read my mind (which is kinda scary) or you just posted word for word what I would have said!

Amen brother.

• Like 2

Personally, as a less than 2000 hour pilot, I didn't go to the expo to look for work. I went there to look at hot chicks and helicopters (and to take the Rotor Safety Challenge).

I just figured that since I've heard on more than one occasion that there are a lot of companies claiming that they cannot find "qualified" pilots that a "job fair" at a helicopter exposition in a city which has helicopters flying over it continually practically night and day, would be a good place to look? The emptiness of the room just depressed me a bit!

Then I saw Iron Man's hot girlfriend in skin tight leather, and all was good again!

• Like 2

Boatpix wasn't even there!

Yes they were. Just wasn't in the job fair area. I don't think they were anyways. I didn't (knowingly) go to the job fair, but I remember seeing a boatpix booth.

He was wearing the same red sweater that he was wearing at Heli-Success.

All disclosures done now, I think this was pretty cool of the owner to do...whoever he or she is.

John Stonecipher. He was a test pilot for Robinson once upon a time.

Sheesh, you guys...

These are the reasons I went, I am far from job hunting right now but, there was a job fair going on during the expo. I don't know how good or bad it was, I was in safety classes, looking around the show floor, and chatting with people the whole time.

Gary Mike,

You were Everywhere! I think I only saw you about a dozen times. You were in discussions with me , Rich & Jason by Starbucks, in the RSC (even got you to hand out attendance chips for me) after one class, in the Enstrom booth, walking with DP, Tim, Ron and me. Did you clone yourself for maximum networking?

Edit, Opps, forgot IHST workshops!

Edited by Mikemv

Hey Mike,

It was great seeing you guys! I tried to get around, I did see others that I didn't mention. I also missed a bunch that I was hoping to see/meet there. I ran into Goldy quite a bit, he is a hard one to miss. It was a very awesome experience! I picked up some nice stuff too, I got a signed Cyclic and Collective from Vertical, a signed book from TC at the Phoenix Magnum PI helicopter booth, and some R22 flash cards from EDMO. (EDMO also has flash cards for the Schweizer if anyone needs some). I guess it could be considdered networking but, I really just wanted to see all the cool stuff and meet some friends.

It is pretty cool Guidance sent some of thier pilots to the event. I know that Upper Limit has payed for thier people to go to Heli-Success the last few years. I guess some schools are starting to see the value of these events.

Now it is back to work and school :(

I think Gary-Mike does have a clone or 2... Every time I turned my head at Heli-success he was there handing out water, talking to random people, in the bathroom, etc... Way to network man!

Thats the ticket... corner your prospective employer at the urinal! I think thats called a "pick up" not a "network" in some circles.

• 2 weeks later...

Our school (Leading Edge Aviation) did a joint paid trip along with our associated community college and sent a group of students and instructors out to Heli Expo to represent our program. I hope some of you had the pleasure of meeting them. I hope to make it out next year for the expo. Im going to try and attend heli success this year!

You should RagMan. I went last year, awesome experience. I met a few people from the forums; to include Mike, DP, d10 and a few others. I also had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with Lynn Burks and Randy Rowles.

I definitely plan on going this year as well. I also intend to branch out much farther than I did last. As a 100 hour wonder I was obviously not hire-able by anyone, but wanted to get the experience and see how things went.

Hope to meet you and many more at the next event!

The reality is much different than this thread makes it to be (at least in my eyes). The way I see it is, I have made friends here, met them in person, became better friends, and used common courtesy. I do not yet have a certificate (other than my medical/student), so I was (am) far from gunning for a job, let alone use the men's room as a meeting place (on purpose). As Far as the water boy thing goes, that is a part of a longer story which involves a bit more emotion than brown nosing for a job. If you were at the seminar, you may be able to piece these things together. With that, I will say, this is a great industry with great people, and this forum has helped me in many different ways.

I do also enjoy the humor and the ideas for when I do have a resume ready though :lol:

• Like 1

To All,

Gary Mike was distributing water at last years Heli Success job ops session. He did this to fill in for Dean Springer (Icon-speaker) that could not repeat doing this from the 2011 session because super storm Sandy had damaged his home and covered it in snow.

Dean has stepped up and helped up and coming pilots in many ways and Gary Mike was one of those. He showed class by handling this menial chore for Dean. Kudos to you Gary Mike. It had nothing to do with brown nosing or getting noticed as a non pilot but it did show a caring and giving attitude to those waiting in lines for jobs!

Some of us, no matter where we are in the industry perform these menial tasks with smiles on our faces and respect for others. I will not mention all of the "things" I do at events for others but I will state that sometimes I feel guilty about how good it makes me feel to help others and make life easier for them. That said, believe it or not, I am a helicopter pilot too.

Edited by Mikemv
  • Like 1

The reality is much different than this thread makes it to be (at least in my eyes).

I was going to say "I'm sure it is" but Mike already explained why you were doing it. Anyone who looked at that as brown nosing (before OR after Mike's explanation) just doesn't get it, so don't sweat it.