CFIs whos looking for work?

Seems the Helicopter Industry is going to suffer from a major shortage of Qualified Pilots, from CFI up, as not enough new instructors are availibile. We contract new hires to a Major Ems company and they are short 5 pilots we sent are last 3 Cfis and they beggining for more.I think the economy really took its toll on the supply ......

I don't beleive that there is a "Pilot shortage" I think theres a "Pilots don't meet insurance minimums shortage". A week or two ago I visited the web pages of Air Methods and Air Evac. Combined there were 99 pilot job openings at the time. But every medical helicopter job seems to share the same insurance because they all have the same hour requirement and won't budge.

So it seems to me that the insurance issue is stronger than demand. I think a demand for 99 pilots would be enough to drop the hour requirements quite a bit but those insurance companies are beasts. I bet they could fill every one of those jobs in one day if they dropped the hour requirement to 1000PIC.

I've also been surprised as to the number of pilots that I meet that don't utilize these Forums. They're a great way to get information. I suppose if you look at the number of CFIs on here complaining that they need a job, and multiply the number by 50 you'll have an accurate estimate as to the real number of out of work pilots.

There is a demand for experienced pilots. Not necessarily pilots who simply meet insurance requirements… With that, if what you say is true (an EMS outfit begging for your CFI’s), this industry is headed for disaster, with the accompanying death and destruction…..

• Like 3

Seems the Helicopter Industry is going to suffer from a major shortage of Qualified Pilots, from CFI up, as not enough new instructors are availibile. We contract new hires to a Major Ems company and they are short 5 pilots we sent are last 3 Cfis and they beggining for more.I think the economy really took its toll on the supply ......

I just read yesturday (either here or on JH) someone from PHI stating that they get 100 resumes a week!

OK, it was on JH;

03/23/2013 7:41 PM

Hi Clint, first of all, thank you for your service. I have been working at PHI for going on 7 years, currently flying the s76. I would strongly advise you to take a look at our company. While there are plenty of people that complain and gripe on these types of forums, one thing I have never seen is anyone complaining about PHI's maintenance. To me, having an aircraft and ground team you can trust is priceless. We have a lot of former military pilots that have recently joined our ranks. There is a very good chance that you can skip flying light ships, if that is what you want, and go directly in to an s76 or even the s92. The HR department is usually pretty swamped, so please be patient with the application process. I was recently told they receive over 100 applications weekly. If you have any questions I would be happy to try to answer them. Feel free to contact me at 801-916-0405. Good luck with whatever you decide. Keith

Any reputable company will have no shortage of applicants.

There's definitely no shortage of instructors.

We've had discussions here in the past with participants complaining that they couldn't find work instructing.

If the business is there, a school will go buy another aircraft and put it on the line to absorb the additional business; getting an instructor into that aircraft takes very little effort, as there is no shortage.

There is no pilot shortage, either. There never has been, and there will not be.

Guest pokey

Any reputable company will have no shortage of applicants.

There's definitely no shortage of instructors.

We've had discussions here in the past with participants complaining that they couldn't find work instructing.

If the business is there, a school will go buy another aircraft and put it on the line to absorb the additional business; getting an instructor into that aircraft takes very little effort, as there is no shortage.

There is no pilot shortage, either. There never has been, and there will not be.

well, jetset just gave away his last 3 instructors, so he seems to have a pilot/instructor shortage?

I think there is a good supply of pilots that meet the requirements for EMS jobs, they just don't want to go to the locations open that are open. Nearly everyone I work with at my present company (~55 pilots) meet the reqs for an EMS job but don't want to relocate to nowhere-ville (And take a pay cut doing so)

There is a demand for experienced pilots. Not necessarily pilots who simply meet insurance requirements… With that, if what you say is true (an EMS outfit begging for your CFI’s), this industry is headed for disaster, with the accompanying death and destruction…..

+1 and /signed

been trying to keep an eye out for a friend of mine on the job front. When I started in this business if there was a CFI job available that is all it took was having a CFI and possibly SFAR sign offs.

Now this year that I've been looking to help a friend out - 5 jobs I saw this year all for CFI all with 400 - 500 hours minimums with prior instructing experience.

Not just an insurance thing I would assume.

Cost of living is definitely cheaper in "butt-crack nowhere" too, and if the pay is the same, or even a little worse, it might actually amount to a raise when cost of living is concerned. I lived rich in Texas, and can barely keep my bills paid on the west coast, and I make more now than I did when I was in Texas!

From what I have seen the insurance companies are deciding what the hour requirements are for EMS. If you don't have the hour requirements then they won't put you to work. I even read an article written by an EMS guy the other day that said basically the same thing. One guy might have 10,000 hours but if he doesn't have the 500 or now 1000 turbine they won't talk to him.

The problem is that the guys who have the hour requirements to work EMS would have to take a pay cut to go to work for them. You can start in the Gulf for 52K per year with 1000 hours. When you get to the 2000 hour requirement to go to work for EMS you will have already received two or three pay raises. Then you can go to work in the EMS field for 50K. Doesn't make sense.

• Like 1