Should I go for it?......

Wasabi32

Live Life To The Fullest!! It was a financial hardship in my younger years. What 19-20-30 year old have $60-$80K-ish laying around under the pillow. I've been seriously considering a career change. I'm tired and burnt out driving a 35'-53' semi truck for the last 15 yrs. However, I'm a bit concerned as I'll be starting much later in life than most new helicopter pilots. Currently with a good paying job (teamster-$65-$70K every year). This is not what I want to do the rest of my life. I'm 45 years young, excellent health, wife, no kids, debt free (just mortgage). At this point, it's not really about the money but more about life satisfaction. I really want to pursue my dream though.....Am I crazy? I work four day week and I can fly 3 days that I'm off and still hold my current job until I get a full time CFII gig. Yes, it's a BIG pay cut! ($15-$30K) a year position as as a CFII. I've attended many Air shows and Ooh & Ahh about the helicopters and aircrafts. I'm in PDX. Hillsboro Aviation it's about 40 minutes from my house and an approved FAA Part 141 training facility, and one of the best flight school in the U.S. I want to get the necessary add-ons to be a helicopter CFII, and hopefully instruct and get enough hours for an entry level job in the industry. My doubts are related to my age. I figure that being conservative I would probably be 47 or 48 yrs old by that time, does anyone know if that is TOO OLD? Would any tour company hire me? I just don't want to live the rest of my life with woulda, shoulda and coulda.....

Sounds like you have a lot of advantages to make your dream a reality. I say go for it. I started when I was in my late 30's and it didn't hold me back one bit. As long as you are willing to live the lifestyle it takes to get going your age shouldn't hold you back. Just be aware that the whole flight training environment is a bit like a pyramid scheme. Many pay for ratings and a smaller percentage actually find work at the end. If you mount a campaign you can succeed, but you have to make a choice to be the best of the crop. Sometimes luck comes into play. In my case several relocations were essential to be in the right place at the right time. I do feel it's my duty to try to talk anyone out of becoming a pilot. If you know the obstacles in front of you but still want to push through then perhaps it's for you. So my rational advice is don't do it, but my emotional advice is give it all you've got and see where it takes you.

Good luck (if you were an astronaut I would say Godspeed) on your journey.

Eric

Sure, but make sure you have the semi truck thing to fall back on if it doesn't work out. Yes pay will suck and you just might have to move to somewhere you don't like for a flying gig. Age is only a factor if you don't keep yourself in shape. I work with a couple of guys going on 60. One of them didn't start flying until he was around your age. As long as they keep passing the class 2 physical they're good to go. You'll have hurtles but there are many success stories out there. It won't be a smooth journey but nothing worth having is.

Good luck to ya.

The last job I didn't get <_< would've required me to move very far away while trying to survive off of $7/hr! (still not quite sure how I would've done it?) That was a 500 hour tour job in an R44. Most CFIs I've known make between $400 and $800/mo. (although there is a possibility you could go months without anything (or worse,...just ground! :o ))

If you can handle that at 45, then sure, go for it. Me, if I made 70k/yr and had no kids, I'd consider buying a helicycle, and just fly around on my days off!

Although, it seems that if you become a 50yr old 1000hr pilot who can't find work, you can just go back to trucking, no harm, no foul?

Edited by eagle5

I say go for it. My situation was very similar to yours. I was 45 when I started my training in November of last year. I am taking my CFI checkride next week and I don't regret a minute of it and I have never looked back. It takes sacrifice, drive and determination, but if you want it bad enough like I did you can accomplish it. I was turned down on the first interview I got after getting my commercial, but looks like i'm getting hired by the school I trained at. My wife and family have been behind me all the way too.

So in my opinion life is good!!! :D

Ask yourself this question; after spending the money, time and effort along with the associated hardship that comes with flight training, will you be content even if you never find work as a helicopter pilot?

A great question for a young kid, a bit irrelevant for someone who is 45yrs old, I think? He's already spent more than half his life not working as a pilot and probably only has about 20 (flyable) yrs left, so I doubt not finding a job would be as big a blow as it would if he were 25?,...I know it isn't for me (I'm 41)!

A great question for a young kid, a bit irrelevant for someone who is 45yrs old, I think? He's already spent more than half his life not working as a pilot and probably only has about 20 (flyable) yrs left, so I doubt not finding a job would be as big a blow as it would if he were 25?,...I know it isn't for me (I'm 41)!

On the contrary, it may be even a bigger blow….

I suggest you read his post a little more carefully. He wants a career change at 45. To me, this is a big-er deal. At 25, you’d have plenty of time to start over or better yet, keep trying to land the flying gig. Furthermore, you do not fill his shoes so please don’t attempt compare him to your situation.

As far as how far can he go is up to him and his health. I’ve known working pilots who were in their mid 70’s. Simply put, at 45 one can still make a career out of it. Then again, some can’t………

Edited by Spike

find a guy on here named CopterKeith, he did almost the exact same thing you are asking about. he sold his business, payed a ton for flight training. and now hes back trucking and lookin for a job. do it if you want to! but its a huge financial risk

Wasabi32 I would say dont go for it, its just another job.

you would have more fulfilment if you bought your own helicopter(certified) and fly for fun. I've done it and its awesome, you can fly when ever you want.

Dont give power to someone else by instilling trust that they will find or give you a job.

Like in any other business find a need and fill it, your training for a job thats doesn't need filled.

I'm telling you this because im half you age with a commercial R/C cert with 300 plus of helicopter time and I can't get a job.

I dont know how many of the people on this form are connected to flight training, but im not and thats why im telling what the real world is like.

Even with all the blood and sweat i've put into this career I'm considering calling it quits.

I see it all the time on these heli forms "is this career for me?" "I'm think of becoming a career helicopter pilot." asking those questions on here is like asking a car salesman if I need a new car.

I mean well I really do. PM your number I'd love to talk. Good luck

... its just another job.

you would have more fulfilment if you bought your own helicopter(certified) and fly for fun. I've done it and its awesome, you can fly when ever you want.

Dont give power to someone else by instilling trust that they will find or give you a job.

Like in any other business find a need and fill it, your training for a job thats doesn't need filled.

I'm telling you this because im half you age with a commercial R/C cert with 300 plus of helicopter time and I can't get a job.

I dont know how many of the people on this form are connected to flight training, but im not and thats why im telling what the real world is like.

Even with all the blood and sweat i've put into this career I'm considering calling it quits.

I see it all the time on these heli forms "is this career for me?" "I'm think of becoming a career helicopter pilot." asking those questions on here is like asking a car salesman if I need a new car.

I mean well I really do. PM your number I'd love to talk. Good luck

I couldn't agree more!

Edited by eagle5

Hello again, It's another beautiful day here in the Pacific Northwest and a very productive week for me. I’m getting really-really close and ready to start my flight school soon after I am back from Vegas (taking my wife on a Maverick Grand Canyon Tour in ECO-Star Helicopter (EC-130). After much research I believe that Hillsboro Aviation flight school is the best way to go. I’ve visited all three schools in the Portland metro areas. Leading Edge Aviation in Bend Oregon is too far of a drive.(Thank you Ross). Got all the brochures & CD’s from all three schools. They all have pros and cons, and there’re about 25 mile radius apart from each other, so my commute still be around 40-50 minute drive to either school. I'm not concern about the drive ( I drive for a living).

HERE WE GO!!

My First Stop!

1. Precision Helicopter. A nice little place out in Newberg, OR. Precision had a friendly staff and a smaller operation, but they flew only Schweitzer’s (Yikes!) The 300 are exclusively for flight training. I’m concern that with your 1st job out of training most likely going to be flight instruction, and 90+% of the schools teaching in Robbie’s, (Red-Flag) this was a big turnoff to me. Precision staff are very professional and very nice people with a decent price. Precision operates 9 aircrafts (3 fixed wing and 6 helicopters). This is a small training school and a family run atmosphere and you'll get more 1 on 1 attention here for sure.

Second Stop!

2. Jerry Trimble Helicopter in McMinnville, OR. Between Precisions and JTH its about 15 minute drive. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the program he has set up at JTH. It’s also a small family run atmosphere with one of the most experienced guys out there. Another small company that has a mom and pop feel to it. They have 5 CFI's on staff and some bring their dogs to work (Ha?) and there is a cat living in the hangar too. Who’s mopping the hanger? Sylvester THE cat!! LOL.. But, JTH has one of the best prices around. Jerry and his wife Allison are there everyday. Jerry himself will teach you and with 30+yrs experience, factory mechanic/pilot for Frank (Yes! Mr. Frank Robinson the MAN built R22) when the Robbie was certified. FW/RW ATP/CFII with a lifetime in aviation (Jerry, he actually started Hillsboro Helicopters way back when, when he sold it the new guy took it for a turn and it became HAI and the foreign pilot mill it is today) whole nine yards…Wow!

I Choose Hillsboro flight school because….

I’m leaning more to Hillsboro Aviation flight school at this point. Because it has been training professional pilots since the 80‘s. It is one of the largest combined helicopter and airplane flight training schools in the U.S. and one of the leading flight schools in the world. Hillsboro have trained students from over 75 countries, and they graduates fly for companies worldwide. They are FAR Part 61 & Part 141. They offer a variety of aviation products and services. Hillsboro Aviation has logged over 1,000,000 flight hours in 33-year history and they have more helicopters than the Precision and Jerry combined. They have 25-30 CFI’s on staff and ready to go. They currently maintain a fleet of over 30 training helicopters, mostly made up of Robinson helicopters and Bell helicopters. There are a different models in they fleet, including the R22, R44, Bell 206 Jet Ranger, Bell 206 Long Ranger, Bell 407 and Bell 205. All of they choppers are maintained here in house and an FAA-approved repair station by factory-authorized mechanics as well. Also, another key component I’m looking for is that part of the training programs is using the latest flight simulator technology.

I’m looking for a long-term. I know none of the three schools can guarantee you a job, particularly if they are "accredited" which is not allowed in an "accredited" school. If a DPE runs the school he'll never pass the reins over to you to get a job to replace him as he can't. If it's a "mom and pop" type operation "POP" he will always need a flying job and he isn't going to step aside for you, either. The size of a school not leading to a good probability of a hire but the timing of completion is KEY here. I think it’s a hit or miss on what size flight schools would be easier to get a job with once finished training. Smaller schools will have a small group of instructors, and more than likely a small group of students. Vice versa with a large flight school ; More instructors, but also a larger group of students. It really comes down to when you finish your instructor rating(s), how many other pilots are applying for the instructor position(s), your attitudes, work well with others, and how well you do on your interview. That’s it for now! I’m going down to Vegas to get some tan (lol) and YOU bet-ya I’ll be checking out that EC130 from Maverick.

Again, thank you very much for you input and responses.

Cheers!!

@ Eagle5 Yes, At Hillsboro, I will need to keep in mind that if I do get hired, they will terminate my employment after I reach a 1000-1200 hours. This seems to have come about recently. And yes I do know this for a fact too as I have talked with former Hillsboro instructors, that were let go after they reached just a little 1000 hours. I'll be OK with it! At least at Precision or Jerry Trimble I'm rolling the dice. I heard this came about as the economy slowed down, and the "high time" CFIs were not getting further employment as they had been. What this means is that there were fewer opportunities for new CFIs to get work. I think 1000 hours isn't as much as most people want, but it is better than 200 hours with Precision or Jerry Trimble, right? This is more or less how it was explained to me. I'll be very happy just to be around or chat with good and skill people like yourself Eagle5. Maybe I'll have enough hours for Vegas tours or GOM....who knows!