Technology in Flight School

While a logbook is important in keeping track of individual flights, I can tell you most employers just want to see your 759 printout. They don't have time to look at each flight you've done. Some don't even request to look at anything in the interview.

Like you said, I keep it to track individual flights so that I can make corrections on my printouts. If I don't check up on it come closeout time I'm usually missing ~30 hours and have to make lots of corrections on the type of time they have recorded for me. I was surprised when this last closeout I didn't have any corrections to make! Granted it was only about 3 months worth...

I also like a logbook because I can easily track my training requirements and currency, plus some flights are memorable and I like to write about them in the remarks. I'm a pen and paper kind of guy.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

I've head of exactly what SBuzzkill said happening, and I want to start early so I don't have to go back and reenter years worth of flights into a log - pen and paper, or software. I also want to keep track of fixed wing hours - I guess having separate, paper logbooks sounds like the way to go.

On the topic of PEDs in the cockpit, I know there is an AWR authorizing them in Apaches, but it is very restrictive, cannot be powered on at takeoff and landing, must be a certain model, etc. I don't know anyone using them over here. I have seen guys "accidentally" using them on cross country flights. No iPad for me though, because I too am an android guy. There is an app I use, can't remember the name of it, but will post it up when I get back to my plywood palace. It is like many droid products, and has the occaisional glitch or freeze, but works well and you can download all the sectionals, approach plates, and airport data ahead of time. You can plan your flight route, and if you have GPS it will update your time enroute in real time based on your ground speed. If you have wi-fi you can also check weather, get updated METAR data. It does occaisionally lose the GPS, but luckily for me I can still read a map and navigate even if it doesn't move.

And really digital pubs issued? It has been a while since flight school, I remember making maps for BCS, and carrying a 40lb cardboard box of pubs out of the issue building and being a little intimidated.

Now all my pubs are on my tablet for space, and easy reference. Still have a real -10 for those APART PPCs though.

The app is Naviator. Its not quite as polished as foreflight, but gets the job done and works fine for me. I like the fact that it is a one time "activation" fee, then a monthly fee, but you can just pay for a month at a time and its pretty cheap, can't remember exact price been a while. Works well for me as an army guy, becuase I am not flying much further than 100 mile radius on a regular basis, but when its time to fly out to Louisiana or California from Georgia, its handy. Especially as a planning tool. I only do these kinds of flights a few times a year, so I didn't want to pay for something I don't use most of the time.