Hard Work and Networking

Ok... This topic comes up all the time about networking and whether or not someone should start training... As everyone knows I'm a huge supporter of networking and truely believe a person has to accept responsibility for their own success or failures...

I've heard every excuse under the sun on this forum as to why I shouldn't start training and how networking just isn't going to help my career goals and is a waste of time... Yet I'm one of those smart enough to ignore the choir boys and have landed a job with a tour operater in Vegas...

I'm sure happy all that networking and hard work upsets everyone else, because if you'd been doing it you just might of landed my job ;)

The moral of this story is simple...

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda...

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and remember Networking and Hard Work pays dividens...

• Like 2

I don't think I get what your point is, are you saying that when it comes to hard work and networking it is a one-or-the-other-but-definitely-not-both type of a deal? Because that's not true at all.

I too am all for networking. It's gotten me every job I've ever had. Of course, it's worthless if you are a scumbag. Work hard and treat people with kindness and respect and you will go far.

But try not to rub it in anyone's face. I distinctly get the impression you are thumbing your nose at someone. It's beneath you. Don't undermine all that hard work and accomplishment.

• Like 1

Ok... This topic comes up all the time about networking and whether or not someone should start training... As everyone knows I'm a huge supporter of networking and truely believe a person has to accept responsibility for their own success or failures...

I've heard every excuse under the sun on this forum as to why I shouldn't start training and how networking just isn't going to help my career goals and is a waste of time... Yet I'm one of those smart enough to ignore the choir boys and have landed a job with a tour operater in Vegas...

I'm sure happy all that networking and hard work upsets everyone else, because if you'd been doing it you just might of landed my job ;)

The moral of this story is simple...

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda...

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and remember Networking and Hard Work pays dividens...

Congrats! Flying in the Grand Canyon / Vegas looks like quite a bit of fun.

Out of curiosity, what were your qualifications upon being hired? (Heli PIC, Turbine, local knowledge, previous tour experience, etc)

Guest pokey

I too am all for networking. It's gotten me every job I've ever had. Of course, it's worthless if you are a scumbag. Work hard and treat people with kindness and respect and you will go far.

But try not to rub it in anyone's face. I distinctly get the impression you are thumbing your nose at someone. It's beneath you. Don't undermine all that hard work and accomplishment.

all i can say to this reply is: holy cow ! ! & why some ppls even bother posting this kind of reply is beyond me. If you have nothing constructive to say?--then say nothing. If you are not part of the solution?--then you must be part of the problem.

Good for you on your new job ! helistar

If you have nothing constructive to say?--then say nothing. If you are not part of the solution?--then you must be part of the problem.

Constructive criticism is constructive.

Also, my television monitor is not a part of the solution, therefore, by your logic, it is part of the problem. (What? I just...... what?)

Constructive criticism for you: think things through before you post.

• Like 1

I got that impression too! It almost reads like, "I got the job and you didn't so nah nah nahnah nah!" That's what we dudes call "being a sore winner",...but then again I'm just being a sore loser, so who am I to throw stones! :D

Enjoy the ditch!

• Like 1

all i can say to this reply is: holy cow ! ! & why some ppls even bother posting this kind of reply is beyond me. If you have nothing constructive to say?--then say nothing. If you are not part of the solution?--then you must be part of the problem.

OK Pokey. Lets think about this for a minute. Obviously helistar is excited about his job. Good for him. Obviously he got this job through networking. Good for him. Obviously, someone told him networking would never work for him and that he should never be a helicopter pilot. Good on him that he didn't listen to that BS and he pursued his dream. Fabulous. Wonderful. Yada yada. I'm genuinely happy for the guy. Really. It's exciting stuff that first real job.

But the attitude expressed in the post is a little juvenile, and it does NOT make him look good. So really, who needs to say something nice or say nothing at all? Probably the OP. This was a "I showed you!" post if ever I saw one. I'm glad the guy made it. Maybe he should show a little more humility though. Seriously. That post is a case in point of what is OK to think, but not OK to say in public.

Edited by Counterrotate

Guest pokey

Constructive criticism is constructive.

Also, my television monitor is not a part of the solution, therefore, by your logic, it is part of the problem. (What? I just...... what?)

Constructive criticism for you: think things through before you post.

i do agree about constructive criticism, but not with sarcasm.

i have a tree that is neither a part of the problem, nor the solution ---just like your tv screen.

i would not have even originally replied to this post, had i not seen the word "scumbag"--that is the word that got to me, and i also have a pretty good idea who the OP was referring to. (maybe not the best thing to do also)

and i did think my original post thru, and came very close to not posting it, but at the last minute i said: "wtf--let it rip"------again, maybe not the best decision on my part.

I can't shake the feeling that this thread is absolutely dripping with implied personal attacks. I will bow out now, but I stand by what I said: think things through. The internet may be theoretically anonymous, but that doesn't mean it isn't necessary to think and use only the best judgement.

Live long and prosper! :)

You have a point?

My point, since you obviously didn't get it, was that although I absolutely agree with the OP, the OP should not have made that post. It was a a poor reflection of her character, and sometimes opinions like that are better left unstated. You need to be careful who you thumb your nose at in this industry. You never know where you will be next week. Sure, this is online, and a certain amount of anonymity is afforded from that, but it's still a small industry, and I know people at Papillon, Sundance and Maverick.

• 1 month later...

Actually he's a she! I'm still curious as to her story. Was it a former fellow cfi that recomended her, a former chief pilot, or just someone she met at Helisuccess?

YES she is.....If you were at HeliSuccess you would have met her no doubt.

Congrats HeliStar.....nice FB photo too.

You'll have to wait for her to respond for the details...