Trying to plan out my career in the industry.. Insight welcome

swan3609

So like many others, I have decided that I want to make a career in this industry. I got a year into University and realized I was setting myself up to sit at a desk job that I was never going to do well in..

I have talked with multiple people in the industry from 50k+ hour Vietnam pilots flying fires, to a others that have gone and got their CPL privately and are now fighting fires, and 2 different guys who are flying medstar and lifeflight, and the directors of maintenance and safety at 2 different companies .. I have come to figure out that there are many different ways to get into the industry, I am just trying to figure out the best way for me after listening to how everyone else did it and the different advice they gave me.

I know that lots of people just dive in and take out a loan and go for their Private and then their Instrument, Commercial and then CFI and some end up getting a job instructing. Then building hours until they can get a "real" job. I also get that this is a very hard industry to get into, and there is a lot of paying your dues until you have experience.

I started thinking about how to make myself more marketable and give myself a better chance of getting hired down the road and thought about getting my A&P and CDL with endorsements and then later get my CPL.

In a perfect situation, I could get a job at a flight school somewhere either wrenching, driving fuel trucks, or even sweeping floors just to get my foot in the door and then hope for a discount on flight time after working for a few months..

My question is what is the outlook for those that have gotten their A&P cert and then got their CPL? Granted, your still going to have to get your CFI or CFII and teach to build hours. But does having your A&P make you more hire able once you hit the ~1000 hour mark?

I would love to hear the thoughts of those that have been in the industry and have into on all this. I am ready to get down and work my ass off to get into this industry, I just want to know if I am starting in the right direction or not..

Like Wally often says, "Yes. No. Maybe". It depends on the job, and the guy who might hire you. In general, companies hire pilots, and they don't care about your A&P. But there are jobs that require both, and some that just prefer both. There are a number of threads on the forum here discussing this at length, ad nauseum. I would suggest reading them whether or not others post on this one.

My perspective only based on what Ive seen.....

Depending on what state you are in, driving a fuel truck on an airport may or may not require a CDL with endorsements.

A&P is usually a full time 18 month course that will cost you about $18k-$20k.

If you want to he a pilot, learn to fly, get your CFII and start instructing. If things arent panning out for you in the job market after 1000-1200 hrs, THEN look into getting your A&P and volunteering to sweep floors somewhere.

This industry is like working somewhere that requires a minimum of a Bachelors degree to even apply. It doesnt matter what you have or who you know until you meet the minimum requirements. In aviation, that minimum is a commercial pilots license. In reality, unless dad owns a helicopter business or you have a hook up, your minimum is a CFI rating.

Get that, then look at other things to enhance your resume. The issue I see is that being a low time pilot, you will see yourself being a full time A&P and a very part time pilot. If you are hired at 1000hrs because you have an A&P, then guess why they hired you? And its not because of your 1000hrs in R22s. They hired you because they need a wrecher.

As a pilot with an A&P, I can provide you with some insight……

In my opinion, it’s not beneficial to get an A&P to attempt to posture oneself for a pilot position. However, if one is interested in turning wrenches and knowing more about the machine, then the A&P can be beneficial to a pilot career……

Sadly, there are pilots in the workforce who have the A&P who have never touched a wrench and, yes, it may have enhanced their marketability. However, from my own experience, employers appreciated the fact I had the certification and some of them (not all), allowed me to wrench and some required it. Additionally, having the certification can keep you working as I once gained employment as a mechanic while unemployed as a pilot……

Lastly, while all of the certification up thorough CFII is the minimum requirement to gain entry level employment, in some instances, the A&P can place you at the front of the line simply because everyone else doesn't have it………………

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I am already enrolled in the A&P program at the local Community college here in eastern Washington.

I figure I will get my A&P and then I hopefully will be able to work somewhere in the industry and then start working away towards my private, commercial and CFI/II.

And I know the guys I talked to got lucky, but 2 of them got their A&P, then got jobs wrenching at flight schools. That meant half off on flight time. I am not going to plan on it. But that sure would be a sweet gig.

I am not going to plan on it. But that sure would be a sweet gig.

A sweet gig is a personal friend of mine whos father in law is a multi-millionaire business owner. Guy isnt happy with his profession and always wanted to fly. Father in Law knows this andf has always wanted his own personal plane.

Pulls him aside one day and says "You are married to my daughter and I want you two to be happy." Ill pay for all of your flight training and get you rated in my Citation 5 that I just bought. Ill have my jet and youll be the pilot. AND Ill hire another pilot to fly with you until you are ready to fly it solo.

Yup... I watched it happen.

Edited by Flying Pig

A sweet gig is a personal friend of mine whos father in law is a multi-millionaire business owner. Guy isnt happy with his profession and always wanted to fly. Father in Law knows this andf has always wanted his own personal plane.

Pulls him aside one day and says "You are married to my daughter and I want you two to be happy." Ill pay for all of your flight training and get you rated in my Citation 5 that I just bought. Ill have my jet and youll be the pilot. AND Ill hire another pilot to fly with you until you are ready to fly it solo.

Yup... I watched it happen.

Yeah, but after he makes his 7th wish his soul gets damned to Hell for all eternity! :lol:

Edited by pilot#476398