Medical Records and Wisdom Teeth

I have a couple questions regarding medical records, and wisdom teeth, and figured I'd try and combine them into one thread vs making multiple new ones.

Going through the list of things that Lindsey recommends having before meeting with a recruiter, I see "medical records." This makes sense because if you list something like a surgery on the pre-screen form, then they will probably want to see some documentation once you get to MEPS, and having that ahead of time can be helpful.

My only concern is what happens if those records don’t exist anymore? For example, the only two surgeries I’ve ever had in my life were tubes in my ears, and tonsils removed, and I’m pretty sure both happened before the age of four. I probably haven’t seen those doctors in at least 10-12 years. With the law requiring doctors and hospitals to only retain records for up to seven years, I’m thinking the chance of those records still being in existence, is slim. So what would I do in those cases?

My next question is about wisdom teeth. I still have mine, and because I’m only 21, they really haven’t started to come in. They are not causing me a problem, and even though one is breaking the skin, it only bothers me when brushing. Is there a policy in the army that requires you to have them removed? I hear stories about guys that make it all the way to basic, then have them yanked at reception bn. and end up having to do basic with the fresh soreness of having them pulled (not fun)! I would like to avoid that, and potentially even have them pulled by a civilian doctor just to do it. Is there any type of waiting period or anything that I would need to undergo after having them pulled?

I can address your wizzy tooth stuff...

3rd molars are a potential problem for military service as they may cause problems in the field away from services. This is the primary reason to have them evaluated and removed if any indication exists that could lead to them causing problems. If one is erupting (breaking thru the skin) I can guarantee you need it extracted prior to service. This is the opportunity to harvest any remaining 3rd molars to prevent you needing treatment in the future. The 3rd molar can erupt and be a useful tooth in many people but the high incidence of trouble or lack of space in the arch and the difficulty in which people have in maintaining them thru life leads us to recommend early extraction when you are healthy and young and heal well.

get them out before service... or wait til you hit basic and they'll pull em for free but as you said then you are sore during your fun at basic.

on the medical records...just list the procedure and date performed.. for early childhood procedures like you suggested that should be sufficient.

Concerning wisdom teeth: I had mine pulled in June... two weeks after I graduated flight school. Don't worry about those until you have some free time to heal up.

There were a couple people that had the, removed after we finished WOCS.

I had some similar medical record issues. My recruiter said that if I was not able to get the records, I could have a parent sign a letter describing what was done and the result. Basically saying everything went fine and the were no side effects or negative issues as a result.

I have a couple questions regarding medical records, and wisdom teeth, and figured I'd try and combine them into one thread vs making multiple new ones.

Going through the list of things that Lindsey recommends having before meeting with a recruiter, I see "medical records." This makes sense because if you list something like a surgery on the pre-screen form, then they will probably want to see some documentation once you get to MEPS, and having that ahead of time can be helpful.

My only concern is what happens if those records don’t exist anymore? For example, the only two surgeries I’ve ever had in my life were tubes in my ears, and tonsils removed, and I’m pretty sure both happened before the age of four. I probably haven’t seen those doctors in at least 10-12 years. With the law requiring doctors and hospitals to only retain records for up to seven years, I’m thinking the chance of those records still being in existence, is slim. So what would I do in those cases?

My next question is about wisdom teeth. I still have mine, and because I’m only 21, they really haven’t started to come in. They are not causing me a problem, and even though one is breaking the skin, it only bothers me when brushing. Is there a policy in the army that requires you to have them removed? I hear stories about guys that make it all the way to basic, then have them yanked at reception bn. and end up having to do basic with the fresh soreness of having them pulled (not fun)! I would like to avoid that, and potentially even have them pulled by a civilian doctor just to do it. Is there any type of waiting period or anything that I would need to undergo after having them pulled?

There are a lot of good responses about your teeth but from personal experience I have been through what you are going through and it sucked. I got MY LAST widsom tooth 3 weeks into primary and it bothered the hell out of me. I had to take IBprofen every day before my flight and I constantly drooled. i wish I would have gotten them pulled prior to starting flight school. I still have all 4 of mine and they are not causing me issues but I'll probably get them pulled eventually because the dentist said its hard to brush and floss them and they get cavities and rot easily.

my .02

Thanks for all the responses guys (had to scroll up to make sure Lindsey hadn't replied)! As far as the medical records go, today I went to every doctor I've ever seen. My results were a couple of labs from 2000 that some how made it through the 7 year rule, everything else was destroyed. I did get the dates of the tonsils and tubes. Both were over 15 years ago, so lets hope the dates and fact that I have had 0 complications for 15 years is sufficient.

As far as the wisdom teeth go, I'm considering just having them pulled during fall break in November. I have dental ins. and figured why not.

Is there a waiting period from when I get them out to when I can apply for WOFT, like there is with PRK/Lasik

That sucks!!

That said, in those 6 months (if indeed it is, I'd have to go digging through the regs but your answer may be in AR 40-501) you can get a LOT done. Essay, resume, LORs, SF-86, get in APFT shape, study up for the SIFT. LORs especially have the potential to take time particularly if you have to make your own connections.

Just took a quick look at AR 40-501 for general enlistment and according to that, wisdom teeth don't DQ you for MEPS (just a problem for flight physical). So my opinion would be to go knock out MEPS now, *then* get the wisdom teeth eviscerated--that way you may be allowed to at least move forward with the rest of the process during the wait to get your flight physical done (APFT, SIFT, etc).

Just took a quick look at AR 40-501 for general enlistment and according to that, wisdom teeth don't DQ you for MEPS (just a problem for flight physical). So my opinion would be to go knock out MEPS now, *then* get the wisdom teeth eviscerated--that way you may be allowed to at least move forward with the rest of the process during the wait to get your flight physical done (APFT, SIFT, etc).

My initial plan was to work on getting everything ready for the Jan14 board. I was going to follow your advice and have every single thing that I could, ready, then go meet with a recruiter. Hopefully, the MEPS, flight phys, asvab, and sift, won't take that long (yea right). However, my biggest hurdle is PT. Up until recently, I have been lazy and let my fitness slip to the point where my first 2 mile run hurt for a week!! My friend that just graduated from Rucker, said that the recruiters laughed at her the first time she went in. But once she brought in a 90% complete packet, their attitude change! So I'm hoping to do something similar, and walking in not out of shape is a big part of that. Also, I am waiting to finish school in Dec, because I feel my chances of getting in with only a GED (and horrible scores from what little high school I have) are slim to none. I suppose at this point, March doesn't sound toooo bad. haha!

And why are you on VR!?! Don't you have a luau or something to go to??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well that is a bit of a play on words.... "oral surgeon" = dentist that attended some specialty training thru an additional program associated with a hospital..... "dentist" =DDS Doctor of Dental Surgery...

what is "surgery"?

Most insurance companies have various codes to denote the difficulty and thus the payout to the practitioner.

D7110 is an "extraction of a single tooth"

D7210 is a "surgical removal of a tooth"

Then you have codes that denote teeth still in the gum or bone...

Really it depends on what the practitioner encountered and how he chose to bill it that may make it "a surgical procedure"