Just a heads up about physicals

You'll do a multitude of tests ranging from a heart EKG, extensive eye exam, several body length measurements, urinalysis, bloodwork for a variety of tests, hearing test, etc. I don't remember doing anything specifically with my hands but that's a very broad question, what is it your concerned about in particular? As for the two days it's broken down that way because it typically takes the lab a day or two to do your blood work and the examining flight surgeon can't sign off on anything until he has seen those results.

You'll do a multitude of tests ranging from a heart EKG, extensive eye exam, several body length measurements, urinalysis, bloodwork for a variety of tests, hearing test, etc. I don't remember doing anything specifically with my hands but that's a very broad question, what is it your concerned about in particular? As for the two days it's broken down that way because it typically takes the lab a day or two to do your blood work and the examining flight surgeon can't sign off on anything until he has seen those results.

Maybe i'm just being paranoid but it's almost like i don't have very good flexibility with my fingers. Like on my right hand i can bend my pinky back against my palms no problem but in my left hand i can move by pink back but i have to bend my index finger back almost all the way with it, just didn't know if they made you do exercises like that. I know it sounds dumb but i just don't want something dumb like that to raise a red flag, like i could have a problem with the Helo's controls or something. Also last time i went to the eye doctor i had 20/35 vision in my left eye and 20/20 in my right eye, do i need to do lasik before i can go for the physical?

Funny story Rob, I did mine at a Naval facility and he did this weird test where I put my feet together while standing and he pushed my chest backwards and I had to recover without moving my feet. Some sort of weird Navy only test is what the flight surgeon said.

Alright thanks guys, i just don't want any surprises lol but i think my vision should be fine and i appreciate you guys telling me about your prior experiences. I'm still in college now and am probably just gonna finish up and then submit my 153A packet. Also, totally unrelated to this topic but do you think if i got my private pilots license it would be seen as a positive or a negative on my WO packet? I've heard both ways about this so just wondering if either of you had your license before you applied for flight school. Thanks in advance

Brian,

I had 0 hrs of flight time and like you have heard it both ways. Some say it's good for experience others say that it's totally different than military flying so could actually hinder you in flight school because you've already learned a certain way. Honestly if you have a ton of money go for it, if not I wouldn't stress it just focus on good Lor's, pt, resume, and why you want to be an army aviator letter. Oh and stay in school.

Hahaha you guys are funny, glad i found this forum. Yea i don't have a ton of money (college kid over here) but i probably will get a few flight lessons in. Another thing i am worried about but (obviously not too worried yet cause i have about 2 years) is getting a letter of recommendation from another WO aviator. I don't know ANYBODY is the army, never mind another pilot so any idea on where i could go looking for a LOR like that? I was thinking that taking flying lessons at a private airfield i could possibly meet an ex-pilot that way but that is no guarantee. Sorry for all the questions btw, im just getting good answers here lol.

Haha Rob it really was like he was doing a "step off bro" shove at my chest. Nice guy otherwise though.

Brian, flight experience definitely won't hurt when it comes to selection because they know you can at least perform in the cockpit but getting your license is definitely not worth the difference it makes. I would do like Rob suggested and get a discovery rotary flight just to see if it's for you and leave it at that.

As for LOR's, contact the nearest Army base with aviation and ask around. Keep an eye on these forums as well because there are some aviators on here willing to interview you for a letter but you have to put in the work as well. I flew from Southern California up to Ft. Lewis, WA to be interviewed by three senior warrant aviators for my letter but it was well worth the effort, not just for the letter but for just meeting some amazing and motivating people.

I had my flight physical done at Ft Leonard Wood on Sept 18. As of this Monday (Sept 30) I had not heard back anything. I was given the following ph # at Ft Rucker to call to check on it.

334-255-0749 (not Mr. Garcia)

Spoke with a very nice lady who said she didn't have anything completed for me yet but that she would email the flight doc and ask him to take a look... BOOM, next day (Oct 1) I received a call that it was approved.

Its worth a shot to call that # and check up on it if you're currently waiting.

• Like 1

Anyone know if pneumonia is medical dq? I dont think so but just got diagnosed with it and suppose to swear in on Mon. Unbelievable.

The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

Current or history of acute infectious processes of the lung, including but not limited to viral pneumonia (480), pneumococcal pneumonia (481), bacterial pneumonia (482), pneumonia other specified (483), pneumonia infectious disease classified elsewhere (484), bronchopneumonia organism unspecified (485), pneumonia organism unspecified (486), are disqualifying until cured.