When should I start my packet?

Hi, I'm planning on submitting my WOFT packet upon graduating high school before going in to college. I will be graduating early in December and turning 18 on February 7th. Could I start my packet before I'm 18? How long does it generally take someone to complete a packet? How long does it take for LORs and other forms to expire.

I think the answer everyone is going to give is NOW. You never know what hurdles you will run into. Lors are good for a year iirc. The process is meant to weed people out and takes a good amount of time to perfect.

Idk if you can start when you're 17 or not but packets can take less than a month (it's been done before) or up to a few years. Typically it's between 6mos and a year. Don't get LORs until you have everything else completed. They expire in 12mos. Really do some fishing around the site as all of this has been discussed in great detail.

My $.02, it's going to be extremely difficult to be selected at 18 (even tho it's technically "high school to flight school"). Especially with the downsizing. However I wish I knew about WOFT when I was your age. I say give it a shot anyway and do everything you can to build a strong packet. Be prepared to reapply. Keep your nose clean, go to college if you can and get involved in the community somehow.

Good luck!

Also, don't talk to a recruiter before doing ALL your research. I guarantee they won't be the source of info for this program.

Start ASAP. Start making connections and networking with influentual people that can assist you with letters, ie; Congressmen/women, business professionals. etc etc. Attention to detail on every form will aid in your success. GPA GPA GPA.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to take a trip over to my nearest recruiting station and get the forms. I've started contacting WOs and setting up interviews at my local CAB (Fort Campbell) to get advice. As luck would have it, I got hired at my local airport a few weeks ago and there was two Kiowa Ds that stopped in last night! I got to talk to all the pilots. Super great guys!

If I had known about WOFT when I was your age I would have been all over it. Start putting the pieces together now and make it as strong as possible. If I am reading this right you still have your summer ahead of you. I would strive for something that will display leadership and maturity such as volunteering/community service. Don't just volunteer to volunteer. Take charge and become a leader in that role. Make your packet as strong as possible.

In my eyes your ahead of the game already. When I was in high school I thought that the only way to fly was to go through West Point. 8 years later I learned about WOFT and here I am putting a packet together too. Let me know if you want any input.

I plan on doing some community service this summer, 75 hours is required for me to graduate early for

High school. How many LORs can I have in my packet? Would it be better to have a CW5 or 4 or someone like my state rep.? Right now I have a 3.4 or 3.5 GPA. How far will that set me back from other applicants?

I plan on doing some community service this summer, 75 hours is required for me to graduate early for

High school. How many LORs can I have in my packet? Would it be better to have a CW5 or 4 or someone like my state rep.? Right now I have a 3.4 or 3.5 GPA. How far will that set me back from other applicants?

You need a minimum of 3 LOR's and a maximum of 6. Having a CW4-CW5 is extremely beneficial. From what I have heard, having someone like a state rep may hurt you since they write very generic letters. Unless you know the rep presonally, I would shy away from that route.

If I were you, unless you know some political figures personally, I wouldn't go out of my way to seek them out. Plenty of people have been selected without it. I think it would be better if a CW4 or even a teacher can write a booming letter. From what I have heard about the boards is that it's better to have 3 or 4 great LORs rather than 6 generic ones. They go through a lot of packets. Also, your GPA should be fine. And if you don't get picked up right away, GO TO COLLEGE! I wish I had your study habits when I was 16/17.

I'm going to give it my all whenever I graduate high school, if I'm not accepted I'll probably join the reserves and get my college degree (aviation maintenance) then apply again once my commitment is up. The WOs I was talking to said there's about a 70%/30% split between inter-service and civilian. Is this because they look for more inter-service members or is there just more inter-service members applying than civilians?