Military Helicopter Technology

I had a Casio pathfinder I got for a gift when I got my wings. It's awesome. My GPS/INS routinely shits the bed and I have to repunch clock time to work havequick/sincgars active freqs as well as hit TOTs. Not exactly something I want to trust a $25 walmart watch on doing and holding GPS time correctly. To each their own. Some people love the cheap watches and some don't.

Buying an expensive watch just for flying is a waste of money IMHO but to each his own.

Fixed. I check my cell phone when I want to know the time. Watches are just impractical jewelry for most people now. When the fashion aspect of it fades watches will be a thing of the past.

Fixed. I check my cell phone when I want to know the time. Watches are just impractical jewelry for most people now. When the fashion aspect of it fades watches will be a thing of the past.My employer

My employer requires cells be turned off.

Fixed. I check my cell phone when I want to know the time. Watches are just impractical jewelry for most people now. When the fashion aspect of it fades watches will be a thing of the past.

Not at all, I wear a watch because pulling my phone out every time I want to check the time is a pain.

I went without a watch for a few months once. Still get nightmares.

Its hard for me to do that -60' MSL. Equally as hard when my expensive phone's battery wont make it 24 hrs. Also difficult while bouncing a Cessna across the sky.

It seems like there's a split between people who love and hate all the modern avionics packages in military aircraft. I personally love the options given with flight directors, hover hold, etc. I don't see it as a crutch as much as it is an aid in managing the cockpit.

Myself and 90%+ of the people I fly with utilize the autopilots, hover holds, etc. less than 10% of time. The only time you'll see me with it coupled is for long VFR or IFR cross-countries / air movements and possibly as flight lead in an air assault. Otherwise, it's more of a hassle than it's worth in my opinion. I don't know why there's people out there that hate on the technology; I see it all as enhancement to safety of flight. As mentioned earlier, the only time I see it as detrimental is to a total newb to the avionics and he/she gets fixated inside.

• Like 2

I couple airspeed and altitude as flight lead. I use PHold and TRC doing Bambi Buckets. I hand flew 10.9 Hours of Gunnery in the last two days in the Chinook with no modes, and the CDR pushed in most of the time.

Hand flying is great, but damn hover symbology helps.