Military Helicopter Technology

Having flown most of those, I strongly prefer having tech. Not only does it lessen the workload which makes for a safer flight, it greatly increases capabilities. I can't even imagine how we went to war before FLIR or NVGs.

Technology is helpful to a point, but when we get to the point of hitting autopilot at 400 AGL and letting the box fly the route for 3 hours, only to decouple autopilot just prior to landing, which is life in the FW community, and becoming the MO in some helicopter worlds, then it's time for me to find another job.

I hate autopilots, hold modes, and most other pilot aids. I flew the Apache with forced trim released at all times and flew primarily at altitudes that were not conducive to using the primitive hold modes of the Apache.

We are all quickly losing basic pilotage, piloting techniques, and fundamentals because it's easier to hit a button and let the box fly for us than manipulate the flight controls or utilize the basic techniques aviators used before the invention of the computer. My father tells me he is a better pilot because he didn't have all the electronics we have today, and he is right.

• Like 4

My M model reference was mostly applying to the test model with RASCAL technology. In 2010 in San Jose they demonstrated not only completely automated landing but the radar will actually find obstacles and navigate to the best place to land. Sikorsky said by 2015 they'll be looking at a fully automated multi-ship test as well.

The H60M is a version of the UH-60? I tried looking it up online and that's all I could find, not sure if that's what you're talking about though.

Yes. There are currently three versions. The MH-60M flown by SOAR in which I have no experience. The HH-60M MEDEVAC and the UH-60M.

The Operator's Manual, Aircrew Training Manual and qualification are identical in the HH-60M and the UH-60M. We flew whatever aircraft was on the schedule that day regardless of what unit the pilot would eventually go to.

Keep preaching how awesome autopilot etc is and see how easy they phase you out of the cockpit and replace you with a kid flying a recliner.

After seeing how many helicopters we lost in Iraq I hope you're right.

• Like 1

Technology is helpful to a point, but when we get to the point of hitting autopilot at 400 AGL and letting the box fly the route for 3 hours, only to decouple autopilot just prior to landing, which is life in the FW community, and becoming the MO in some helicopter worlds, then it's time for me to find another job.

I hate autopilots, hold modes, and most other pilot aids. I flew the Apache with forced trim released at all times and flew primarily at altitudes that were not conducive to using the primitive hold modes of the Apache.

We are all quickly losing basic pilotage, piloting techniques, and fundamentals because it's easier to hit a button and let the box fly for us than manipulate the flight controls or utilize the basic techniques aviators used before the invention of the computer. My father tells me he is a better pilot because he didn't have all the electronics we have today, and he is right.

When I reference technology increasing capabilities I was actually thinking of the 'good old days' when we put the AH-1F up against the ZSU-23-4 with TOW missiles that had a max range of 3750m and were a bitch to shoot accurately. In a real war that would've been a nightmare. Then the A model Apache with the SAL hellfires, still not great to face a 2S6 but at least had better range during the day. Finally, the radar guided hellfires we have now that can take out targets out to 8 km at night, thru smoke, fog , etc. Tech comes in many flavors, not just the autopilot and GPS. All army pilots are system managers to some degree. Lift helicopters will be the last to lose human pilots, nobody wants to ride along with a robot pilot = ask for hooks and you may get to fly for your entire career.

Good thread. As we can see, opinions differ with the merit and use of technologically advanced aircraft. However, they are coming or they are here. It up to the individual pilot to keep up his piloting skills and to use the new technology to be safe and proficient.

Some technology is on its way out, regardless if we want it to go. ADFs, LORAN, etc, all are gone or gone soon. Im sure VORs will be gone in 10 years, and we will transition entirely to satellite navigation. But we better keep up the map reading skills....

We as helicopter pilots are two decades behind the automation/glass revolution that happened in passenger jet aircraft. Airbus and Boeing have had highly automated flybywire jets for decades, and pilot skills have been slowly eroding ever since.

Look at AF447, and the ensuing investigation.

• Like 1

Pretty much.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140523/NEWS04/305230076/Army-selects-new-camo-pattern

New camo pattern announced (kind of), very similar to multi-cam. Interesting note, the Army has owned this pattern since 2002... Many other news articles on this within past few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Random question but I'm just wondering what types of wrist watches you flyers are wearing and if there is a current issue watch? What is preferred- a simple digital or something like a Breitling or Omega? An AF dude I used to fly w/ was issued like a $40 Timex in 2002 and still flies with it....

I've worn a Casio G-Shock (G-7510?) for years. Multiple alarms and formats (about all I use is the vibrating alert- works in the cockpit and places where one might not want to alert/alarm anybody else), dual time, stopwatch, timers, backlight. Ugly, inexpensive, easy to use, accurate (close enough- gains about 20 seconds a month), durable and does the job better than anything else I've seen.

Edited by Wally

I have a piece of sh*t from the PX and it works great. It cost me 25 bones and it does everything I need it to.

Edit: The band stinks pretty bad though... Might be time to get a new one.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 5

I've gone through two maratac nato bands, recommended. Was looking at the casios last night, I think I'll end up going with a protrek. Has alot of features compared to my Luminox dive pro. The movement sucks but keeps up w me in the air and under the sea...post-43092-0-02902000-1402100999_thumb.jpg

I'm with buzzkill. 15$ Px junker. 2nd band in two years but dam if I don't have to worry about it when its pt time...

And it's water resistant with alarm and chrono... Boom, drops mic, mind blown!!!

Edited by Yamer

I'm with buzzkill. 15$ Px junker. 2nd band in two years but dam if I don't have to worry about it when its pt time...

And it's water resistant with alarm and chrono... Boom, drops mic, mind blown!!!

Wonder if it says made in china too

Every now and then I come across new tech that gets me really excited, this is one. Def would drop some paper for these if its ever legit.

http://defensetech.org/2014/03/28/scientists-develop-night-vision-contact-lens/

Since this thread says military tech...

I use the helicopters clock and set it to GPS time. I literally never use my watch while flying. Buying an expensive watch just for flying is a waste of money IMHO but to each his own.

• Like 2