Air Force Officer to Army Warrant

Hello Everyone,

I've searched around and I haven't really seen too much info on this topic, but are there any prior Air Force Officers or any other commissioned officers here that have become Warrant officers? I'm a Air Force Captain with a background in munitions and aircraft maintenance and I am really interested in becoming an Army Aviator. I understand that I would be taking a pay cut but all I want to do is fly. My questions are.....

1. If I am accepted and I give up my commission do I have to go to WOCS?

2. Do I have to go to BCT?

3. Any other advice or input would be great.

Thanks,

I am currently a 1LT in the Army on Active Duty trying to fly as a Warrant. My packet will be looked at next week. I've spoken to some of the officers who were selected on the previous WO board as well as a current CW4 who was a Major.

- You will resign your current comission approximately 30 days prior to your start date.

- Because the reduction in rank from O2 to WO1 is voluntary, we do not get save pay.

- We do not have to attend WOCS, and will report straight to Aviation BOLC.

- You will be accelerated from WO1 to CW2, rought timeline is 3-4 months Once you make CW2, your timeline is just like every other CW2.

- I don't know about BCT since you're coming from another branch. I'd contact the Warrant recruiter for your area on that one.

If you need anything else, let me know!

I met a Marine officer who crossed over to become an Army warrant officer; however, he was a rated officer in the USMC and came over to fly for the 160th SOAR. Needless to say, it's probably doable... it's just going to take a lot of paperwork.

Army O-grades have done the warrant switcharoo before and from other branches (e.g. Armor, Artillery, etc. ---> Aviation). If you can figure out the interservice transfer bit, I'd say you stand a chance.

I did 8 years active in the Navy as a commissioned officer and another 3 in the reserves (O-4). 8 years later I joined the Army national guard as a CW-2. As a prior commissioned officer in the Navy I did not have to attend any Army schools. As a rated Seahawk pilot in the Navy, I still had to attend the Blackhawk AQC, even though I had 1300 hours in the SH-60B/F/H.

However, I went to the AQC, Maointenance Leader and Manager Course, MTP Course, M Transition, and M MTP Course all within a year. When I was done I took an instrument eval, a stanz eval, an MTP eval and PC checkride all within a few days.

Edited by Rob Lyman
  • Like 4

I did 8 years active in the Navy as a commissioned officer and another 3 in the reserves (O-4). 8 years later I joined the Army national guard as a CW-2. As a prior commissioned officer in the Navy I did not have to attend any Army schools. As a rated Seahawk pilot in the Navy, I still had to attend the Blackhawk AQC, even though I had 1300 hours in the SH-60B/F/H.

However, I went to the AQC, Maointenance Leader and Manager Course, MTP Course, M Transition, and M MTP Course all within a year. When I was done I took an instrument eval, a stanz eval, an MTP eval and PC checkride all within a few days.

When I get to class, I'll be looking for your blazed trail of schoolings to follow my way down... Good god that's a lot of school in a year

Should look at the XP course. Guy I know did UH60/CH47/AH64/FW back to back to back to back.

I would absolutely do this if I had the engineering degree. I would pursue it still if I thought it possible while on AD, but that seems like wishful thinking (although if anyone wants to prove me wrong...).

I would absolutely do this if I had the engineering degree. I would pursue it still if I thought it possible while on AD, but that seems like wishful thinking (although if anyone wants to prove me wrong...).

It's possible, you can get the engineering and mathematics requirements necessary to apply to the xp course while on AD. It's not easy, but, the Army isn't looking for lazy XPs.

Once you get established in a unit there will be time for civilian education.

• Like 1

You don't have to have an engineering degree either. None if my friends that went had an engineering degree. They all had a strong emphasis on mathematics though. Also all of them got their degrees after becoming a warrant. Plenty of time to get your degree at Rucker as an IP.

I've heard everything from "it's the best course you'd ever attend" to "if I could go back I wouldn't have taken the course." It's massive amounts of paperwork for just one flight. You aren't exactly flying your butt off there. You go up in a helo, do the test card and spend the next week writing a report in it. Everyone I've talked to said after 47 weeks, they're pretty exhausted. I know a guy who lasted maybe 6 weeks and called it quits. At least he got his supersonic F-18 ride before leaving.

After the course you'll spend your days either at Huntsville, in San Jose or attached to regular units as an SME. You'll be testing all the new mods (up turned exhaust, FBW, ASE) before it's mounted on an aircraft. Get out of the Army and retire into a company test pilot for one of the big contractors.

Out of all the pilots in the services, test pilots are the ones I most respect. It's fascinating work but not way I have the analytical mindset to do that type of work. I hate math! :)

• Like 1