Hey, Hey, Hey,...? Sorry Al, Not Today!

eagle5

Max seat weights were always posted in plain view and the scales were right next to the ticket sales counter. Problem solved because the ones that new they were over wouldn't buy a ticket. ;)

• Like 2

I had a guy this winter in a tour have to exit. I noticed as my ground cree walked the group out how tall he was, and fit his height. They loaded him right behind me and somehow he fit. As he was being loaded I asked the ground crew if the load was good, they said it all worked out.

I begin to pull pitch and as I do I notice I hit MAP as it began to hover, and I had no more aft cyclic!!! Ahhhhh, I looked back as just straight asked how much everyone weighed. The guy pipped up that he told the guys inside he was like 260, but he weighed 295, and wasnt sure we were serious about weight limits!!

I assured him for safty of flight we were very serious and asked him if he would exit the ship as I was very overloaded. The ground crew came right out when they saw me set back down. He was very nice about it, and I was as well. He now knows.

Sometimes you just have to remember what being Capt of the ship requires, and that is honored by most passengers especially when done with tack, regardless of how serious the nature of the question.

EMS has a similar challenge but we often don't have an accurate weight available. Even hospitals occasionally get it wrong. Dispatched for a hospital to hospital, patient weight 380 lbs... Oooh, sorry, tell'em we can't do that, forward cg.

Sister ship accepted dispatch, new transferring hospital estimate 400 lbs. Transfer completed, the pilot called, laughing, the recieving hospital patient weight was 500-plus pounds, they couldn't say for sure because they couldn't get all the patient on the scales. 350B2 is strong in our environment, if we can strap'em, load'em and keep the forward CG in limits, and close the door...

Another request, patient weight 350 lbs, a little over 5 foot tall. "Tell'em we need a girth" (seat belt length is an issue, 52-54 inches depending on the set installed). Short flight, no girth available before landing. Medical crew calls a few minutes after landing, no can do, but the competition's dispatcher has assured the hospital they can transport. I clear the pad, refuel, and standby. My crew calls, they're going by ground, pick'em up in an hour or so at the receiving facility. Used some medical device that sounded like a taco shell to get this individual into a ground unit. The competition uses a Long Ranger, reportedly has a 16" opening between the broom closet and the door. Thy didn't think they could close the door.

Had a patient kick out the chin bubble once. That is a pain, maintenance has to get a new one, can't just put the old one back in, oh nooooo, not them. It looked like new to me...

Edited by Wally

It happens everyday flying tours in the south. It's really embarrassing when two people are standing there waiting for a half an hour to get onto an aircraft with lower fuel levels when three people are walking past them and going on a tour.

There was one guy that was just over the max and he really wanted to fly so he worked out his whole vacation. He showed up everyday and weighed in. A week later he got his tour.

• Like 3

It happens everyday flying tours in the south. It's really embarrassing when two people are standing there waiting for a half an hour to get onto an aircraft with lower fuel levels when three people are walking past them and going on a tour.

There was one guy that was just over the max and he really wanted to fly so he worked out his whole vacation. He showed up everyday and weighed in. A week later he got his tour.

That is awesome.