Hi everyone,

I am, or rather, was in the process of getting my packet together. I have been studying everyday and getting myself familiarized with the ins and outs of this program making sure that I have everything up to par at the best of my ability.

I recently went to the Army recruiter and was getting my SIFT scheduled. Today, my recruiter messaged me stating that because of my tattoo, he can not go through with helping me because he talked to his commander and was informed that my tattoo was not going to be approved. But he hasn't even looked at my tattoo in person.

It is written in Thai and is the word "Family". It is pretty large BUT my hand DOES cover it. It reaches the tips of my fingers and ends at wrist.

I just want to know if any of you know what I can do to get this issue resolved? I have my heart set on doing the best I can in this program and to have my chances be completely burned to ashes because of my tattoo is extremely disheartening.

Any comment or opinions welcome. Thank you.

From the USAREC WOFT site:

"*UPDATED TATTOO POLICY** - ATTENTION ALL ACTIVE DUTY (AD) APPLICANTS (INCLUDING SISTER SERVICES)! Effective 17 September 2014, all AD applicants must be in compliance with REVISED AR 670-1 (Tattoo Policy) dated 15 September 2014. Soldiers are prohibited from having tattoos or brands on the head, face (except for permanent makeup), neck (anything above the t-shirt neck line to include on/inside the eyelids, mouth, and ears), wrists, hands, or fingers. Enlisted Soldiers who have tattoos that were compliant with previous tattoo policies (grandfathered tattoos) may request commissioning or appointment. Commanders should continue to evaluate potential applicants on the whole Soldier concept in making appropriate recommendations. Soldiers, who have unauthorized tattoos that were not in compliance with previous policies, are not grandfathered. Grandfathering applies to Army enlisted applying for officer accession or appointment. Sister Service applicants are not eligible for grandfathering."

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.shtml

Basically the reason you may not get approved for your tattoo is because the only people the army is letting into the WOFT program with tattoos below the elbow and knee are those who are already in the army and have those tattoos and also are within compliance of the regulations (i.e. no degrading, racial, etc. types of tattoos), therefore they are grandfathered in as the message on USAREC website states and still can apply, all other people entering the army after September 17, 2014 with tattoos below the elbow and knee unfortunately cannot be accepted into the WOFT program, like others said, your best bet is to get it removed

I Bet If I Were To Go In And Say That I Wanted To Go Enlisted, They'll Be All About Getting A Waiver For Me.

Oh yea guaranteed, they are more worried about meeting quota for enlisted personnel rather than helping out someone for a WOFT packet.

I paid $3500 to let a Doctor cut on my eyes and shoot a laser into them. If I never get selected it was still worth the risk to my eyesight and the monetary cost. I sure wouldn't let a tattoo get in my way.

Weigh your options and decide what the cost of applying is worth to you, but if you can have it removed it would sure as hell show some commitment. Not something I would skimp on either. I read that if the removal leaves burns too bad, they will deny you for having branding instead.

I paid $3500 to let a Doctor cut on my eyes and shoot a laser into them. If I never get selected it was still worth the risk to my eyesight and the monetary cost. I sure wouldn't let a tattoo get in my way.

Weigh your options and decide what the cost of applying is worth to you, but if you can have it removed it would sure as hell show some commitment. Not something I would skimp on either. I read that if the removal leaves burns too bad, they will deny you for having branding instead.

His drinking buddy remove it? If you go to a professional who uses the latest equipment, it's not going to leave burn marks or branding. The tattoo will be hardly detectable.