CW2 Promotion

There's nothing that says you have to have a ceremony. However, it's common military practice I guess. AR 600-8-29 covers officer promotions and has a small section on ceremonies. If your DOR falls on a weekend or holiday, you can have the ceremony on the previous duty day. You're assigned to B Co, so if you don't want a ceremony, just make sure they do your orders and pin your rank on on your DOR.

Edited by 01CelicaGTS
  • Like 1

Also, the orders should be published on the HRC website on the "by name" list. They probably won't be on there until the end of March. The note on the website says that CW2/1LT promotions can be added to the list after the 21st of the month.

• Like 1

Meh. We had an NCO get a DUI which sparked the most insane drama I could possibly fathom. Every weekend, regardless if it was a regular weekend or a 4-day - every Soldier had to submit their "Weekend Plan of Action" which had a Primary and Alternate plan (front and back) which outlined the 5 W's and a POC of who you were going to be with.

Wow that's awesome! And that's an example of why some great people get out of the Army.

Wow. You really need to get some more officer friends to fill you in. Advice given to me back in the day when I was a brand new butter bar: "there is no honor among lieutenants." Meaning 2LTs did not salute 1LTs. Translation: no one cares if you promote from 2LT to 1LT or WO1 to WO2. What mattered was my promotion to CPT. I was TDY, the list had not come out yet but my battalion commander came up to me (as he had the results prior to anyone else) and discreetly congratulated me. There were three of us in the battalion who were selected to promote. This was a big deal and we all wanted our families to be there, so we arranged for a date for all three of our families to be there. I wore 1LT rank for more than a month while I knew (and was getting paid as) CPT. All three of us forked up a few hundred dollars for the food/ceremony. My wicked sense of humor was appreciated when I wrote a (P) with a sharpie to the right of the black bar on the leaders book that I carried to every staff meeting. But then... I'd already been an awesome Platoon Leader in two different companies, an Executive Officer, and Commander.

I think for most people and units it's more for the family. If I could just slap on every promotion without a ceremony I definitely would. I know they did my small CW2 ceremony for my wife mostly.

• Like 1

I think for most people and units it's more for the family. If I could just slap on every promotion without a ceremony I definitely would. I know they did my small CW2 ceremony for my wife mostly.

I'll bite: Promotions like 1LT and CW2 (my opinion) aren't that significant because they're automatic providing you don't get a DUI, beat your spouse, etc. I honestly wasn't that fond of CPT because it's still an 89% selection. Maybe some saw the added bonus in it being the first DA board, but other than that - cool. I agree with napoleonpp in regards to it being mostly for the families though.

• Like 1

My then promotion to CPT: honestly, I hated all the pomp and circumstance of it. What has recently made it more meaningful is that I have survived the latest round of OSB. I feel like my hard work is finally paying off. And now I am working toward MAJ. But in my job I work with officers, warrant officers, and NCOs who are more deserving than me. An example is that I am humbled to know the first female Apache pilot who is about to make CW5. The first. The first female Apache pilot to make CW5. I should call her "Ma'am."

My then promotion to CPT: honestly, I hated all the pomp and circumstance of it. What has recently made it more meaningful is that I have survived the latest round of OSB. I feel like my hard work is finally paying off. And now I am working toward MAJ. But in my job I work with officers, warrant officers, and NCOs who are more deserving than me. An example is that I am humbled to know the first female Apache pilot who is about to make CW5. The first. The first female Apache pilot to make CW5. I should call her "Ma'am."

With the promotion rates plummeting, I will say hats off to those who make MAJ (especially BZ). And that's pretty bad ass. I have a good friend who's a CW2 Apache pilot and I could probably see her making it up there one day. Best of luck to you.

Side note, best of luck to Lindsey and her endeavor with slapping on that rank and avoiding the hoopla with ceremonies.

• Like 1

Wow. You really need to get some more officer friends to fill you in. Advice given to me back in the day when I was a brand new butter bar: "there is no honor among lieutenants." Meaning 2LTs did not salute 1LTs. Translation: no one cares if you promote from 2LT to 1LT or WO1 to WO2.

Right, and I don't care either. It's an automatic promotion. Hence why I want to go the most warrant-esque behind-the-scenes-I-was-never-there route.

• Like 3

I'll bite: Promotions like 1LT and CW2 (my opinion) aren't that significant because they're automatic providing you don't get a DUI, beat your spouse, etc. I honestly wasn't that fond of CPT because it's still an 89% selection. Maybe some saw the added bonus in it being the first DA board, but other than that - cool. I agree with napoleonpp in regards to it being mostly for the families though.

Oh you would think so. I have a friend who didn't get picked up for CW2. All because like 5 or 6 years before he got picked up for Warrant he was part of an investigation. He wasn't even in trouble for the investigation, just the NCO in charge when something went down. Apparently they flagged him for his automatic CW2 promotion for it still,

Or just start wearing W2 rank on 4/2.

Maybe it's different in the warrant world, but if you did that as enlisted, you'd piss some people off. I would say just let you chain of command know.

You don't need to involve B Co at all. Your orders should show up in your OMPF. Arrange your own ceremony over $.25 wings at Oscar's. Or just start wearing W2 rank on 4/2.

...I like this a lot. You're 100% sure?

...I like this a lot. You're 100% sure?

You can definitely do this. You do have to raise your hand and do the whole oath thing for your commission. But you do not need to do some big thing with B Co. Get together with your friends and someone with a CW2 or higher on their chest, raise your hand, and have some drinks with your friends. Us warrants need to stay in the shadows. We are the quiet professionals!!!!

• Like 5

I put on E5 while I was deployed with another unit, I knew the whole time and never told anyone. I woke one morning, took off one patch, put the new one on, and walked to work. It was a few weeks before anyone noticed, but OCP's hide Air Force rank pretty well, so YMMV.

I'd have to ask my class leader, why?

I have Mr Cruz. He is pretty cool and if you wanted to keep B Co in the loop, I'm sure he wouldn't care if you did something low key behind the scenes.

Usurp your class leader, go direct to B Co to check on your status. The pinning ceremony isn't nearly as important as making sure you're getting paid for it.

Sorry I'll miss "wetting down" the new rank. I'm not sure I could hit a girl, even for a pinning, might be my first😁

Mike-

Usurp your class leader, go direct to B Co to check on your status. The pinning ceremony isn't nearly as important as making sure you're getting paid for it.

Sorry I'll miss "wetting down" the new rank. I'm not sure I could hit a girl, even for a pinning, might be my first

Mike-

"wetting down"? I'm surprised that isn't considered hazing yet.

It's actually an old Navy tradition, when one would get promoted, they would "wet down" the new rank with sea water to season it. The modern day equivelent equates to pounding in Lindseys new velcro and drinking.

Only if I get to hit you back.