The future of tilt-rotors?

Astro

Looking at the dimensions of actual, existing tilt rotors, I feel like this CGI concept is just a tad bit optimistic when it comes to the power and size of rotor that would be required to lift something like that off the ground.....

Tiny rotors like that would be inefficient as hell, and create downwash like you wouldn't believe. Would probably need a couple of PT6s to turn those things fast enough to make a car fly.

Edited by lelebebbel
  • Like 1

Even a blown wing isn't going to produce enough lift if it's that small.

300shp isn't going to lift that either.

A tiltrotor's proprotor is also a compromise between a plane's prop and a helo rotor--the inside is twisted and the outside is flat. Small rotors like those shown couldn't do that.

Not buying it.

Can't log time when going in reverse, but I suspect if you can afford one of these you don't give a rat's furry ass about logging time!

Sure you can log time in reverse. The only two requirements are that the aircraft must move under its own power (except gliders) and it must move with the intention of flight.

• 2 weeks later...

With those engines folded away, with flipper doors and motors needed to raise the wing etc, where is the space for the engine to drive the ducted fan and the rotors? How heavy is the battery?

The person who did the cgi work is the only one to make money out of this, unless they get a pile of rich suckers and Donny Trump to invest in it. The flying prototype will look nothing like this model, if indeed it ever does fly.

• Like 1

new definition of "tilt" rotor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GSeQ9qUIr0

Putting on that helmet made me chuckle a bit! You want me to fly that thing you're gonna have to encase me in a suit of bubble wrap!

• Like 1

The sad fact is that there is *no* future for civilian tiltrotors. Their inherent downwash and noise make them incompatible with urban areas. The super-rich will not be using a tilt-rotor to take them from Manhattan out to the Hamptons every weekend. Not only that, but there's just no way to make a tilt-rotor economical enough for city-center to city-center travel. Not with just nine pax per flight.

So...what else? EMS in remote areas where helicopters are impractical? I suppose so, but how many areas in the world could that be? And if people think that it costs a lot now to send a LongRanger after their butt, imagine the heart attack they'll have when they get the bill for the tilt-rotor ride! They'll need another medevac! So commercial EMS with tilt-rotor...not gonna happen.

Oil and Gas? Well, that would depend on their being big rigs/platforms so far from land that helicopters are impractical. At this point in time there are...umm...none. Chicken-or-the-egg situation here, I think. Maybe if the AW-609 ever gets certified and viable the oil companies will consider using it. Not until.

I suspect that the tilt-rotor will always be much like the military Harrier jet: good at what it does, but with little civilian application. Maybe some Coast Guard or maritime patrol units would use a tilt-rotor, but those aren't civilian ops.

People seem enthralled with the tilt-rotor concept. They love the idea of a helicopter that becomes a plane. They think it's the "best of both worlds" type of thing. The trouble is, the concept works better in our dreams than in reality. In the real world we have people who don't like airplanes and helicopters. They'll squash any attempt to bring a tilt-rotor into their city.

It was the mass production of aluminum allowed the helicopter to become lightweight enough to be feasible and viable. If only there were some magic wand we could wave to eliminate the tilt-rotor's noise and downwash, we'd have a winner! Unfortunately, there isn't.

• Like 1

this is the quote of the day for me:

And if people think that it costs a lot now to send a LongRanger after their butt, imagine the heart attack they'll have when they get the bill for the tilt-rotor ride! They'll need another medevac!
  • Like 2

commercial use for this machine is pretty much,,, just mush. It takes the best of both worlds, combines them & then proves that it also took the worst of both worlds. Kinda like the agusta 109.. yes ! the did steal all the best designs. put them into ONE package---but? didn't realize they got the bad with the good. You don't & prolly won't see cities scrambling to implement :"vertiports"

the little one seater tho? how cool is that?!

• Like 1

Wait, what's wrong with Agusta 109s?

I was referring to the early stages of the design, they originally made it a single engine, then had dynamic instability problems which required redesign of the transmission, production took many years longer than anticipated. As far as today? it has been in production for almost 50 years and guess they worked out all of its problems by now. I really like the 109, we operated a few of them in the 70's & 80's, then they had that catastrophic blade failure in flite that killed some of the Trump executives, and that shied many away from it (which eventually was traced to a manufacturing "scratch" on the internal spar of the blade) It is one of the coolest looking helicopters our there (especially for its time) and is very fast too.