10 Year ADSO Discussion

So I want to post this here, and get professional opinions.

A little background about myself. I spent 6 years full time in the Air National Guard as a crew chief on KC135s. I got out in 2018 to finish up my degree and reevaluate from there. Fast forward to the Fall of 2019, I was finishing up my college and starting my WOFT packet. I passed up 3 full time job opportunities coming out of school for this. I ended up getting selected in January, and have been waiting ever since to ship come August.

With the new ADSO, my mind is slightly starting to change. Do I think its total bullshit what I have put to the side for the "original agreement," yes. Do I expect anything less from the military? No.

I read nothing other than negative stuff with this ADSO, and army aviation as a whole. I got in touch with someone from a Reserve Unit with C17's, and can potentially get an enlisted spot as a Loadmaster with hopes of getting in the cockpit from there. I am fortunate to have these opportunities, but damn have I somewhat "wasted" this time, and now reconsidering options.

What I want to ask, if you could go back as a 25 year old man with no ties other than a dog and a degree, would you do it again? Would you sign for the 12 year commitment damn well knowing its a 15-16 year commitment to chase retirement?

Thank you in advance.

Me personally....with a degree....I’d be exploring aviation in another branch. Idk if I’d enlist hoping to get one later but I’d look at some other branch. If you have the option to fly for the navy, Af, or even marines, I’d go for it.

im surprised your old kc 135 squadron won’t take you as a pilot. I know you’re out but you still have a rapport there. To my knowledge they do like to hire from within. 

9 hours ago, Steelersfan_123 said:

So I want to post this here, and get professional opinions.

A little background about myself. I spent 6 years full time in the Air National Guard as a crew chief on KC135s. I got out in 2018 to finish up my degree and reevaluate from there. Fast forward to the Fall of 2019, I was finishing up my college and starting my WOFT packet. I passed up 3 full time job opportunities coming out of school for this. I ended up getting selected in January, and have been waiting ever since to ship come August.

With the new ADSO, my mind is slightly starting to change. Do I think its total bullshit what I have put to the side for the "original agreement," yes. Do I expect anything less from the military? No.

I read nothing other than negative stuff with this ADSO, and army aviation as a whole. I got in touch with someone from a Reserve Unit with C17's, and can potentially get an enlisted spot as a Loadmaster with hopes of getting in the cockpit from there. I am fortunate to have these opportunities, but damn have I somewhat "wasted" this time, and now reconsidering options.

What I want to ask, if you could go back as a 25 year old man with no ties other than a dog and a degree, would you do it again? Would you sign for the 12 year commitment damn well knowing its a 15-16 year commitment to chase retirement?

Thank you in advance.

First off, let's go Steelers! In all seriousness though, where can I find the details on this change? I've tried googling, but I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct information. Also, those 12 years count towards your "retirement chase" correct?

1 hour ago, reedam2 said:

First off, let's go Steelers! In all seriousness though, where can I find the details on this change? I've tried googling, but I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct information. Also, those 12 years count towards your "retirement chase" correct?

You'll have to find the memo either on here on Reddit.

That is the irritating thing. I didn't find out the 4 year change from anyone that I should have. Not the Army, not my recruiter, not my liaison at MEPS. Instead, I found it on Reddit as well as here, and then verified it to stand true.

12 hours ago, Steelersfan_123 said:

So I want to post this here, and get professional opinions

Thank you in advance.

I would not sign a 6 year commitment again let a lone a 12yr one. I joined at 29....

Most of my prior AF buddies have told me that they would take their enlisted jobs back if they could. (we're talking tracked WOs)

With that being said, the AFNG/RES are at least taking army pilots at the moment with age waivers. 

4 hours ago, nil5038 said:

Just curious. Why aren’t you looking at another branch? Is it a gpa thing?

It is not a GPA thing. I have a 3.4 so it is not terribly bad.

I have yet to look at other branches because I do not have the money to chase a private pilots license to make me more competitive, as well as I almost have a year in this process.

4 hours ago, flanker said:

I would not sign a 6 year commitment again let a lone a 12yr one. I joined at 29....

Most of my prior AF buddies have told me that they would take their enlisted jobs back if they could. (we're talking tracked WOs)

With that being said, the AFNG/RES are at least taking army pilots at the moment with age waivers. 

Why would you not?

4 hours ago, Steelersfan_123 said:

It is not a GPA thing. I have a 3.4 so it is not terribly bad.

I have yet to look at other branches because I do not have the money to chase a private pilots license to make me more competitive, as well as I almost have a year in this process.

Navy/marines don’t care too much about that. When I was down in Pensacola Barely anyone had a PPL.

the AF cares a lot more but I still have heard of people getting in with little to no flight time.

and 3.4 is definitely good enough for you to at least be competitive for any flight program.

2 hours ago, jdlong02 said:

I know my unit in Oklahoma City will take you in a heartbeat to fly MC-12s. They're hurting bad for pilots, even giving 37-38 year old prior enlisted folks SUPT seats. But...it is Oklahoma. 

...they’re special operations aren’t they?

18 hours ago, nil5038 said:

...they’re special operations aren’t they?

Yes they are. Short "deployments" to EUCOM, AFRICOM, and SOUTHCOM. Supposedly they are getting different platforms in a couple years as well. Big AF is trying to move away from the MC-12s and field something that is dual purpose combining manned ISR and munitions. Maybe U-28s or whatever platform AFSOC chooses for their Armed overwatch program. I just can't stand Oklahoma and would rather be active duty full time. 

Army has been trying to replace the c-12 for a long time now. I’m sure the AF will first.

but yea I feel the same way. I’ve considered going the guard route but I want the AD time. I’m surprised they’re hurting so much for pilots. All the ratings and hours you’d need to make it to the majors, plus so secret squirrel mission. I get that Oklahoma blows but hey. Long term

The increase in ADSO won't have an effect on the Warrant Officer aviation pipeline. More than enough Career Enlisted Soldiers will fill any void left by civilian reduced recruitment. No other service offers HS to flight school. That's the Army's saving grace.

Regarding the future Army Commissioned Lts in wishing to branch aviation, that will be an issue next year. The USMA/ROTC graduating cadets will make the decision on the 12 year commitment in 2021. More than likely the Lts selected will be lower on the Order of Merit List. 

I’m in the pipeline currently for Guard. I don’t think it would change my calculus much since I am already at 10 years, and as I said, Guard. If I were going active, I would have looked more seriously at the other services, mainly due to deployment length and lifestyle. 6 versus 10 years is no joke. 

This would probably be a deal breaker for a lot of the prior service guys I know who were considering it. It’ll be interesting to see its impact on recruitment. 

• Like 1

The Career Enlisted Soldiers will fill the void in WOFT recruiting. There are career active duty soldiers who will remain until retirement regardless of rank, Enlisted, Warrant or Commissioned. And that is the Army's targeted market for the WOFT program. Not everyone wants out as soon as possible from active duty.