Marriage and WOFT

Guest Jesslee

Guest Jesslee

Does anyone have any experience with marriage and flight training?  I know several people get married on “paper” before basic or before flight training starts.   Unfortunately that is not doable for my son and his girlfriend if he makes board.   He and his girlfriend have been trying to figure out what they need to do.  His recruiter has no answers.  
So once flight training has started are you allowed a day of leave at anytime to get a marriage license?  How in that year of fight training can you get married in order for your spouse to be on your benefits and duty station orders?   The closer to the end of flight training would be best.  She doesn’t want to stress him with marriage and living there while he is focused on getting through training.   She knows that the better he does the better their future will be.  Any advice or first hand accounts?   

Thanks   

My wife and I were dating when I left for basic training.  She was finishing college so I spent the first 9 months as a bachelor.  Once you finish the first 4 months of basic training and WOCS, flight school becomes almost like any other job.  You live where you want, go home at the end of the day, and have weekends just like any other job.  You’ll accrue leave as well in order to take vacations during breaks in training.

My wife and I got married after I graduated but before PCSing to my first duty station, while I was in a follow-on school at Fort Rucker.  Before that it was not much different than our living situation before I joined the Army.  

Also, there’s quite a bit more money in the paycheck if you can claim dependents.  If they know they’re getting married, I’d just get it over with sooner rather than later.  LoL

Edited by SBuzzkill

Guest Jesslee
52 minutes ago, SBuzzkill said:

My wife and I were dating when I left for basic training.  She was finishing college so I spent the first 9 months as a bachelor.  Once you finish the first 4 months of basic training and WOCS, flight school becomes almost like any other job.  You live where you want, go home at the end of the day, and have weekends just like any other job.  You’ll accrue leave as well in order to take vacations during breaks in training.

My wife and I got married after I graduated but before PCSing to my first duty station, while I was in a follow-on school at Fort Rucker.  Before that it was not much different than our living situation before I joined the Army.  

Also, there’s quite a bit more money in the paycheck if you can claim dependents.  If they know they’re getting married, I’d just get it over with sooner rather than later.  LoL

Thank you for answering.  One last question, how long does it take the Army to get your new spouse on your orders or whatever the official terms is?   Thank you! 

After WOCS he will live at his own home and go to work like a pretty normal job. They can get married any time they want and the paperwork is not difficult to process. He will have many former NCOs in training with him that can get him taken care of just like any other new private, essentially the same thing as a street to seat warrant. 

If they intend to get married but don't feel there is time for a ceremony before he leaves they can just get it done at the court house. They will get the benefit of better pay right off the bat to help pay for the eventual wedding, she will be covered by insurance and moving expenses to Rucker paid for her.

She should live down there with him if able. He will be in flight school for over a year and have plenty of time at home, might as well spend it with his wife. 

My wife and I got married and managed to have our ceremony in another state all through flight school.  Takes some planning on the timing though and now covid throws it for a huge loop. We got married on paper which is super easy in Alabama.  Dale county courthouse is where we went.  We had previously switched our residence to AL also.  There will be bubbles and time to make it happen.  When I went through we knew what day selection was.  Armed with that info, we had our wedding about 3 weeks after that because every course had at least a 2 month hold after selecting.  Your mileage may vary but it can be done rather easily.

Guest Jesslee
40 minutes ago, StockTrader said:

My wife and I got married and managed to have our ceremony in another state all through flight school.  Takes some planning on the timing though and now covid throws it for a huge loop. We got married on paper which is super easy in Alabama.  Dale county courthouse is where we went.  We had previously switched our residence to AL also.  There will be bubbles and time to make it happen.  When I went through we knew what day selection was.  Armed with that info, we had our wedding about 3 weeks after that because every course had at least a 2 month hold after selecting.  Your mileage may vary but it can be done rather easily.

Can you take leave after selection, or is not allowed until your first duty station?  After selection is that when you start training on your airframe?  So there is a hold before starting airframe training?  We’re you able to have a ceremony and honeymoon during the hold in flight school?  Thank you!  

2 minutes ago, Jesslee said:

Can you take leave after selection, or is not allowed until your first duty station?  After selection is that when you start training on your airframe?  So there is a hold before starting airframe training?  We’re you able to have a ceremony and honeymoon during the hold in flight school?  Thank you!  

Leave isn't really being approved at all right now. There also isn't very long hold periods between phases. Maybe a week or two. Weekends are still available out to I think 100 mile radius. 

9 hours ago, Jesslee said:

Normally you can take leave whenever you are not in a class.  No, you learn the basics of your advanced airframe at Rucker.  I had a ceremony but no honeymoon because shortly after i finished advanced airframe and got to my first duty station they had us on a plane somewhere else.

On 7/29/2020 at 2:25 AM, Jesslee said:

Thank you for answering.  One last question, how long does it take the Army to get your new spouse on your orders or whatever the official terms is?   Thank you! 

Just so he’s tracking, it he gets married after he moves to Rucker, they won’t pay for her to move. They will have to move her on their own accord. She’ll get healthcare, and he’ll get an increased housing allowance, but no money to move her. Just mentioning it because sometimes people don’t know that when they’re new to the military. 

once you’re married, they include funds to move family members from then on. 

• Like 1