Additional ADSO

Guest Jesslee

Guest Jesslee

Trying to get some information for my son so he can make his decision on WOFT.   I know the ADSO is now 10 years at the end of flight training, but what else adds additional ADSO?   This “tracking” I keep reading about says 2 years ADSO, is this added to the 10 and makes 12?   Getting promoted to CW2 and higher, does this add more ADSO?    Does picking a certain airframe increase ADSO?  How does one do their job and not and more years to their ADSO?   He is not interested in being a career pilot, just the 11 1/2 to 12 years and out.    
Thanks.  

If it works the way it does now most ADSOs incurred during the IERW ADSO run concurrently. The common stuff like promotion, track schools, tuition assistance, PCS, etc all run concurrently. At 12 years he might as well stick around for 20, there's not another job he can get out and do for those eight years and get paid the rest of his life. 

2 hours ago, Soon2be2LT said:

The Army has a new Blended retirement system so the 20 or none legacy system is gone.

Yes, but you don't get your TSP until 59 like a normal retirement account. Retiring at 20 means your pension starts that day rather than 20+ years later.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 7:39 PM, Thedude said:

If it works the way it does now most ADSOs incurred during the IERW ADSO run concurrently. The common stuff like promotion, track schools, tuition assistance, PCS, etc all run concurrently.

This is correct.

Also, getting out at 9 years felt good.  I'm sure 12 years will feel the same for some folks.  I accomplished everything I wanted to in the Army, made memories, served my country, and it was time to move on.   

Edited by SBuzzkill

40 minutes ago, Jesslee said:

How do you get out in 12 years?  If you track or promote does that not add more time to your original ADSO?   

You basically have to ask permission to be let out after your ADSO is complete. Most of the common things like promotion and schools run at the same time as your IERW ADSO. Unless you incur an ADSO in the last couple years you can get out at the end of your IERW ADSO. 

As an officer there is no enlistment, which means no set date which your son will be released.  Officers service lengths are indefinite, and do not terminate at the completion of an ADSO like an enlistment.  There are only two ways for an officer to separate from the military, voluntarily or involuntarily.  You request to get out, or you get told to get out.  But there is no "serving your time" and then getting out.

As an example, my flight school ADSO brought me just over 8 years of service.  However, I moved (changed duty station) close to the end of that, which ended up adding about 6 more months to my commitment.  After 8.5 years of service I had no obligation to the Army, but I wasn't free to just get out.  If I desired to I would have needed to request a resignation.  If I timed it right I could have started the process to request my release and probably gotten out at the completion of my ADSO, but that has to be done months and months in advance.  It's also possible to get a waiver and be released early, but it's very rare.

Generally, an officer must be promoted to be retained.  On the second attempt if they don't get promoted they give up to 6 months and then they're out. In my case, my job had disappeared and I knew I wouldn't be promoted, so I waited to be involuntarily separated by being passed over for promotion.  This granted me a severance and some additional benefits I would not have received by a normal request to separate.  This is usually not an option, but the retirement of the OH-58D opened that avenue to me.  I served in that capacity until I absolutely couldn't anymore, which brought me to 9 years and 3 months of service.

Cliff's Notes:

ADSOs keep an officer in the service until they are complete, but once an ADSO is complete an officer will still serve indefinitely until they request to separate or get kicked out.  There is no mechanism for an automatic release, and even when kicked out there is a lengthy process to separate from the military.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

SBuzzkill

Let me understand this policy.

Let's say I recently graduated from WOFT with a 10yr ADSO as a non prior service S2S. I selected the TSP option upon enlisting. I'm passed over for CW3 the 2nd time after serving approximately 9 years on active duty. I must be released from active duty 7 months later. Just got fired, canned. For you civilians who never served, you are not in any way guaranteed retirement when you enlist.

Always exceptions to this policy by the way.

My 10yr ADSO would take me to 11.5yrs approximately on active duty.

Would I be entitled to a severance package in addition to my TSP account before my 10yr ADSO is completed?

I don't know the regulations as they apply to the blended retirement or the increased ADSO.  If you google "Involuntary Separation Pay" you can go down the rabbit hole.  However, making an assumption based on the intent of that pay, I see no reason you wouldn't receive it.

Edit:  Weren't they supposed to change the rules on promotion to W2 in order to stretch the timeline and avoid the scenario you described?  Did that not happen?  I'm out of the loop on this stuff, there's enough knowledge to keep up with in my new job that I don't want to knock any penguins off the iceberg.

Edited by SBuzzkill

Adjusting the date of rank hasn't been approved as of yet by the legal department.

If it is, for those CW2 passed over for CW3, it won't benefit them in being released from active duty up to 2 years earlier from their 10yr ADSO.

I bet they eventually adjust the date of rank for two reasons.

1) Closes the loop hole on those who want out of the Army up to 2 years earlier by being passed over on their account.

2) Saves money by forcing delayed promotions. CW2 approx $8k and CW3 approx 6k.

They will certainly come up with something to make sure they get their time out of you.

But to go back to your original question which I failed to answer...  Without a change to the promotion structure, your second pass over for W3 would come right around 6 years into your 10 year ADSO.  Add 7 months to get out and you're sitting just shy of 7 of 10 years completed.  Assuming flight school takes 1.5 years, that's not even 9 years TIS for a street to seater.

I have no idea how they will make up that difference.  I assume we're going to see some changes to the regulations to capture that scenario.  Maybe they are already on top of it?

5 hours ago, zaurus said:

Would I be entitled to a severance package in addition to my TSP account before my 10yr ADSO is completed?

Your full TSP balance is yours as long as you complete two years of service. The severance would vary based of circumstances and current regulation at the time. 

https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/ARN4774_R637_2_FINAL.pdf

There's the applicable regulation for Separation Pay.  Table 2-1 (page 7) shows the entitlement and computation, and limitations can be found in Table 2-2 (page 8).

It should be noted that by accepting the ISP, you agree to 3 years in the ready reserve.

Edited by SBuzzkill