Buying an Army surplus MD500C

BigCountry

So the Army sells run-out UH-60s for between $250-$500k (see GSA.com).  So I'm thinking a run-out 500C would fetch $100k or less.  It will be restricted category but don't really care about that.  I'd love to hear some thoughts from people in the know about this.  If (big if) acquisition cost is low enough, is it not reasonable to have ship with re-built running gear for around $300k?  

• Like 1

We bought an ex Mexican border patrol one 15+ years ago it then went back to states into private hands where work was done, everything was just ok it ate money.

Have you priced parts MGB TGB how meany hours on blades & cost of replacements (I think $ 5k to just re fit dis-bonded erosion strips), shocks, hockey sticks, trim motors,

Oh yeah, the 160th (Night Stalkers) still have 48 500C's (essentially F's with a C nose) that will probably start retiring in within 5yrs.  These are 650hp beasts with FADECs.  Don't really need 650 ponies (and the associated fuel burn) but am wondering if they can be de-rated.  I've only seen fairly high-time C's the $500k range.  Truth be told, I really want an E (love the nose) but those are a bit pricier.  So, again if acquisition cost is low enough, get the STC mod with the E glass.  Just wanted to run the concept up the flag pole here and see what you all think.  Thx

500E brings up a couple good points.  Getting MD pricing, so far, has not been easy to come by.  That's why I wanted to get some real world pricing from some operators.  Is it better to re-build vs. buy new from MD?  Re: the Mexican 500, from what I've heard of Mexican maintenance, cannot even be compared to the Army's, but still, runout birds can be money pits.  Has anyone here bought surplus?  If so, what was the experience?  

12 hours ago, BigCountry said:

Oh yeah, the 160th (Night Stalkers) still have 48 500C's (essentially F's with a C nose) that will probably start retiring in within 5yrs.  These are 650hp beasts with FADECs.  Don't really need 650 ponies (and the associated fuel burn) but am wondering if they can be de-rated.  I've only seen fairly high-time C's the $500k range.  Truth be told, I really want an E (love the nose) but those are a bit pricier.  So, again if acquisition cost is low enough, get the STC mod with the E glass.  Just wanted to run the concept up the flag pole here and see what you all think.  Thx

The Army F and FF's are hardly just a C with a different nose and a bigger engine...I doubt there's a single interchangable part except perhaps the skid shoes. 

If you want to run cheap (fuel burn) then find a standard C model with a C-18, and then put a Yehnert nose on it. They are out there. Don't worry so much about TT, it's the component time and inspections that matter. 

I wouldn't buy Gov surplus anything...ask the UH-60 guys how that's working out...and how many machines they need to buy to keep just one airworthy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BigCountry said:

Those are D’s , not C’s. Big difference.

1 hour ago, BigCountry said:

Does anybody have a swag on what a Yehnert nose is going for these day?  The FAA guy I talked to said MD nows owns that STC.  

Find a machine with the nose already on it...but they aren't really an "upgrade" unless you just like the look. If I recall they actually decrease cruise speed. 

On 1/25/2022 at 12:28 PM, BigCountry said:

Love the nose and I’m on the tall side. A 500C owner recommended that nose too because of my height. I guess there’s a 5 knot penalty but oh well.  I was guessing around $50k for the Yehnert.  Is that even in the right zip code?

I have no idea what a nose conversion would cost.