Driving me crazy.

PilotLevi

Besides the military, how can I pay for my flight training?!??!?! How does everyone pay for it? Take out a crazy mallie load?

I want to be a helicopter pilot but that dream is disappearing because of $$.

Yep that seems to happen to a lot of people.

I sold my house

sold my cars, have 1 older car with no payments.

I am single, with no kids

work part time in a bowling alley

took a sallie mae loan for half the cost to get my cfII.

I am currently, studying everynight

staying away from the girls (for at least 3 years :( )

eating hotpockets, mac and cheese, and .99 cent pizzas

have no phone, and no cable

and, working two jobs

My point is if you want it bad enough, there is a way.

It took me a year to finally decide to make this sacrifice, and i wish i did it a year sooner, but if it meant flying for a living i would sleep in my car everynight.

It isnt easy

and the pay isnt that great

but for me the rewards are priceless :)

Besides the military, how can I pay for my flight training?!??!?! How does everyone pay for it? Take out a crazy mallie load?

I guess the most common thing people do these days is BORROW.

Otherwise, save your money, and pay as you go OR......... save till you realize that:

1) you have all you need to pay for all your training, or:

2) your dream was based more on fantasy than reality. (Happens a lot)

Dont mean to take the wind outa yer sails, but I personally know a lot of people that have sunk a great deal of money into becoming a helicopter pilot just one day get there and realize, "boy, what a questionable decision THAt was...."

Me? 30 years ago, I just wanted to have a pilots license, so, got a PPL Fw. then a few years later, I put an instrument rating on it...

then I decided I you go for it, and got rating like crazy... one thing led to another, and here I am today. 25+ years in the industry, and still playing as I go. (I dont work for a living. I play in the sky, and the $$ is coincidental)

Chip

Well, loans or cash on the barrel - what else is there?

There are colleges that offer flight training (& have been talked about on this forum), which may get you eligable for financial aid as all other college students are. Or bank loan. Or SLM loans. Or personal loans. Or other loans....

Yeah newbie, well said. I can't think of anything short of donating a limb that I wouldn't do to keep this dream alive!! I work nights part time, haven't been out for like 7 months, no cable, and a p.o.s truck! you know what, I've never been happier, because almost everyday I get to fly one of the most challenging modes of transportation on earth. Just knowing that almost everyone else you see that day couldn't come close to what you just did keeps my spirits up!

Good luck Levi!!!

Yeah newbie, well said. I can't think of anything short of donating a limb that I wouldn't do to keep this dream alive!! I work nights part time, haven't been out for like 7 months, no cable, and a p.o.s truck! you know what, I've never been happier, because almost everyday I get to fly one of the most challenging modes of transportation on earth. Just knowing that almost everyone else you see that day couldn't come close to what you just did keeps my spirits up!

Good luck Levi!!!

The problem with loans is that I'm only 18 years old! It's hard to get loans. The only aviation college I can find that I have interest in is GAVTC. But I hear thats going downhill I don't know. I'm also considering HAI in florida, but then again with the loan situation.

The problem with loans is that I'm only 18 years old! It's hard to get loans. The only aviation college I can find that I have interest in is GAVTC. But I hear thats going downhill I don't know. I'm also considering HAI in florida, but then again with the loan situation.

Would your parents be willing to co-sign a loan?

Levi,

I gave you all the information you could ever need to do a flight packet. I get the feeling you don't want it bad enough to work for it. If the option to go High School to flight school would have been available in 1978 when I joined the Army I would have been all over it. Yet, I joined the Army, worked on helicopters, got a degree and went to flight school when I was 28.

You're 18............if you want it, you'll use the information you get from the great folks here and make it happen!

Good Luck :)

Go down to the local flight school and ask if you can work as a marshaller, wash helicopters or other help around the hanger. Make friends with anyone and everyone in the industry...

I hang with a guy that's got a 500C... Took me 3 years but I have about 10 hours in one...

Also took me 3 years to get from a PPL to CFI... Paid as I went and wouldn't fly for months at a time.

Go down to the local flight school and ask if you can work as a marshaller, wash helicopters or other help around the hanger. Make friends with anyone and everyone in the industry...

I hang with a guy that's got a 500C... Took me 3 years but I have about 10 hours in one...

Also took me 3 years to get from a PPL to CFI... Paid as I went and wouldn't fly for months at a time.

That is excellent advice. It is also how I managed to do it without getting a loan to pay for flight training. Quitcherbitchen and go make it happen! Good luck. ;)

RDW

The bottom line is that you're going to pay more than just the cost to fly no matter how you do it. On top of that, no matter what you do, expect to be below the poverty line for a while while you get your career started. Pros and cons for every option.

Loans: Pro. Fly now, fly often. Not a lot of time to rust.. Cons. Pay $$ out the wazoo for interest, owe "the man" for a long long time. Crippling monthly payments for a couple of years decreasing to demoralizing monthly payments over time.

Savings: Pro. fly often, don't owe the man.. Cons. Most of us will require a few years to build up the savings. If you really want this to pay off, live in poverty without spending your money until you have enough.. Another con is you may not save enough, then what do you do? (possible with loan too)..

Pay as you go: Pro. Fly now, don't owe the man.. Cons. Spend money re-learning, takes a long time. (unless you have a really good job)

Rich Uncle: Pro. Fly now, fly often, don't owe the man... Cons. Your uncle smells funny. ;)

Military: Pro. no dollars spent, serve your country.... Cons. Get jerked around by recruiter/military.. possibly limited hours... people shoot at your on purpose..

That's pretty much the bulk of it right there. On top of this, you have to make sure you dodge bullets like "corrupt instructors/schools", accidents, rent, medical issues, etc... There is no sane answer to the question of "why would i spend this much"... You do it because you love it, and you hope you don't grow to hate it...

Levi,

I gave you all the information you could ever need to do a flight packet. I get the feeling you don't want it bad enough to work for it. If the option to go High School to flight school would have been available in 1978 when I joined the Army I would have been all over it. Yet, I joined the Army, worked on helicopters, got a degree and went to flight school when I was 28.

You're 18............if you want it, you'll use the information you get from the great folks here and make it happen!

Good Luck :)

Gary,

I am going to use it. I'm taking the ASVAB Monday, going to sit down with the recruiter and talk some more, schedule the AFAST, get my LORs, take the physical and get the picture. I want it bad, I just want something to fall back on, I am determine to become a helo pilot. The army is hurting for helo pilots now, and all I hear is I have a damn good chance. I want it.

Or if you are only 18, get a job, get some college under your belt, perhaps an aviation degree, save up some money, borrow a few dollars and go get your private pilots license in the mean time. that way you will really know if this is what you want to do and then decide whether or not you want to go for the whole cfi II .... it doesnt' always have to be all or nothing..... might want to just take it one step at a time....

Gary,

I am going to use it. I'm taking the ASVAB Monday, going to sit down with the recruiter and talk some more, schedule the AFAST, get my LORs, take the physical and get the picture. I want it bad, I just want something to fall back on, I am determine to become a helo pilot. The army is hurting for helo pilots now, and all I hear is I have a damn good chance. I want it.

Take what the recruiters say with a grain of salt. They will try and talk around the truth to get you to sign up. Ask lots of questions, and hopefully you will ask the right one to get some useful information out of them.

Where did you hear the army is hurting for helo pilots now?

Gary,

Levi,

It's great to have a backup and I'm glad you really want it. Just giving you a shot it the arm. ;) Do what you need to do and do because it's what you want. Use the advice you get here. And I agree with LB11. Take what the recruiters tell you with a grain of salt. If they don't do things your way, find someone that will.

You're young and have time on your side. Some of us have been around a loooooong time. Trust me, the people here are your friends and will help all they can. If this is what you want, get it bofore you reach my age and medical issues threaten to take it from you! :(

Levi,

Enlist as an MOS 15U ( CH-47 Helicopter Repairer).

GET IT IN WRITING, WITH WITNESSES, ON AN OFFICIAL ENLISTMENT CONTRACT!!!

Take your family attorney with you, to the recruiter, or have the recruiter meet you at your home, with the attorney present before you sign anything!!! The recruiter will ask you to pick a back-up MOS. Make the back-up MOS 15T ( UH-60 Helicopter Repairer). DO NOT SIGN UP FOR ANYTHING ELSE!!!

These are great "back-ups" to a flying career.

After you finish your 15U or 15T training you will be assigned to an aviation unit. Be the best soldier in that unit!!! Make soldier of the week, month, year!!! Get noticed by your supervisor as a hard worker. Take the A&P test as soon possible. This will serve you well as a civilian.

After about six months in your unit, apply for flight school.

The guys in my flight class that did the best were from aviation MOS's.

If something prevents you from getting into or finishing flight school, you will have very valuble training that you can use to make a good living as a civilian, Army money for college and the pride of being a veteran of the finest fighting force on earth, ARMY AVIATION. HOO-RAH!!!

Levi,

Enlist as an MOS 15U ( CH-47 Helicopter Repairer).

GET IT IN WRITING, WITH WITNESSES, ON AN OFFICIAL ENLISTMENT CONTRACT!!!

Take your family attorney with you, to the recruiter, or have the recruiter meet you at your home, with the attorney present before you sign anything!!! The recruiter will ask you to pick a back-up MOS. Make the back-up MOS 15T ( UH-60 Helicopter Repairer). DO NOT SIGN UP FOR ANYTHING ELSE!!!

These are great "back-ups" to a flying career.

After you finish your 15U or 15T training you will be assigned to an aviation unit. Be the best soldier in that unit!!! Make soldier of the week, month, year!!! Get noticed by your supervisor as a hard worker. Take the A&P test as soon possible. This will serve you well as a civilian.

After about six months in your unit, apply for flight school.

The guys in my flight class that did the best were from aviation MOS's.

If something prevents you from getting into or finishing flight school, you will have very valuble training that you can use to make a good living as a civilian, Army money for college and the pride of being a veteran of the finest fighting force on earth, ARMY AVIATION. HOO-RAH!!!

Great advice....................hey oldcobrapilot, wonder if we know each other? I flew Cobras till 92. When I was a Chinook mechanic it was 67U. :unsure: Has it been changed?

Levi,

It's great advice and not a bad idea at all. If you get involved in aviation, your flight school recommendations will be there for you.

Damn...youth is wasted on the young. The incredibly dumb decisions we make when we are young...why don't they (we...I) listen to the voices of experience? They listen to their peers (the blind leading the blind) or to salespeople who tell them what they want to hear. How dumb is that? OK, that's my old guy the-world-is-going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket rant.

Here's what ya do kid. Go to college...one at least 1,000 miles from your parents home. It will be the most fun four years (don't waste any more years than that on it) that you will ever have. There is plenty of financial aid available...some free. You will do some growing up and learn to be on your own, you will fall in love, get laid, make lifelong friends and you might even learn something. Join the ROTC program...preferrably one associated with the Marine Corps...and upon graduation join the service with a commission.

Go to flight school and serve out your term as an aviator. Or, stay in for a career and get involved in all the other opportunities it has to offer. It is like working for a large multi-national corporation but with a better retirement plan. You'll experience a camaraderie that is generally not available in civilian life; you'll travel, make lifelong friends and get laid.

Then when you leave the service get a job in the private sector that makes as much money as you can. Stay in touch with the friends you made in college and the service and help each other advance. Forget that nonsense about "poor but happy"...trust me, those who are financially secure are much happier.

There you go, there's the game plan (send me a check someday). You can have it all, just listen to the voices of experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I felt like a spoiled brat when i read this forum....everyone has these stories of how they were able to get into flight school, and how to pay for it. But my Grandfather left me a huge fund so i can go to any school i want to. It'a been a dream of mine to become a Helicopter Pilot for a while. So I'll be starting my training in 6 months or so. I just wanted to add that I admire all of you for the fights you put up to get into flight school. I believe that's how everyone should be if they really want something bad enough. And to PilotLevi, I'm sure you'll find away. You have been given awesome advice by people on this site. So Good Luck!