Refusing to give up!

Cyrak

Some of you may recognize me as having been on this forum for awhile now - I don't post very often, but I will occasionally ask a question or comment on something.

As you may know, I have been trying to find the funds to start my lessons for over a year and a half now. I know that there are many people just like me who struggle with this. I'm not asking anyone to believe that I am better or more deserving than others. But I REFUSE to give up on this dream simply because I cannot find the money.

So I have started a MySpace page devoted to that goal. I hesitated to even post a topic drawing attention to it, as I was not sure how it would be received, but if an answer is out there, the only way to find it is to ask, and this is the best way I know to reach someone who might be able to help me make this a reality. I sincerely apologize to anyone who might be offended by this - that was never my intention - I just don't know where else to turn.

Thank you to anyone who even takes the time to read the page - I welcome ANY advice or suggestions. If anyone might know of a solution, I believe it would be the members of this forum, whom I have always found to be so kind and helpful whenever someone asks a question or has a problem. You are part of the reason I am so determined to join this field.

Here is the address:

http://www.myspace.com/helifund

Thank you!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly the point I gathered from the start. I honestly believe that you would have joined the Army to suck the benefits out if you could, but since we wouldnt have you it's ok at that point to declare the "real" reasons while you wouldnt join. Pathetic.

Why else would you join the army except to suck the benefits out? To serve your country? Give me a break! I am sure some people join because they truly want to serve their country, but it can't be a very high percentage. When it comes down to it, you sign a contract, they teach you a job, then you work for them how ever long you signed the contract. Even if it does involve flying a billion dollar helicopter around, it still sounds like a career to me and its only right to expect a skill and compensation for your time.

Edited by slick1537

Cyrak, I had good credit not perfect (700+) and qualified with no co singer so maybe work on that? Have you checked it lately?Your credit that is?

I have a score over 800, no credit card debt, large income, only debt is mortgage & prior SLM loans (taken without co-signer), & I recently tried to get a $6k loan with SLM (& $6 is not a lot) - but they are requiring a co-signer for me for the 1st time, as well. I think with the recent 'credit crunch', getting loans is harder all around.

Edited by klas

Why else would you join the army except to suck the benefits out? To serve your country? Give me a break! I am sure some people join because they truly want to serve their country, but it can't be a very high percentage. When it comes down to it, you sign a contract, they teach you a job, then you work for them how ever long you signed the contract. Even if it does involve flying a billion dollar helicopter around, it still sounds like a career to me and its only right to expect a skill and compensation for your time.

I did, back in 1987. I even signed a waiver to not have them take money for the GI bill. shocked.gif I just wanted to serve and be in the Navy.

BTW, this post seems like spamsign.gif and it should be deleted by a mod.

Go beg somewhere else.

However, I do not support the government behind the troops, and I cannot in good conscience become a part of that, no matter how much it might benefit me personally.

Here's a suggestion for you... Others might be sensitive to your desire to live off the fruits of this land without being willing to contribute to those fruits--and I'm talking about the fruits of freedom--but I take offense to it. Here is a quote that I found that you might find fitting:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. --John Stuart Mill

Ugh! I hate the idea of people "building" their credit. Check out this guy: www.daveramsey.com he taught my wife and I a whole lot about debt, saving, and doing what you love. It seems right up your ally. You can listen to his radio show for free streaming on the web.

If you have any specific questions, send me a message. His advice has helped us out a lot and I hope it will do the same for you.

Ugh! I hate the idea of people "building" their credit. Check out this guy: www.daveramsey.com he taught my wife and I a whole lot about debt, saving, and doing what you love. It seems right up your ally. You can listen to his radio show for free streaming on the web.

If you have any specific questions, send me a message. His advice has helped us out a lot and I hope it will do the same for you.

I agree.... Check out that URL! With his common sense approach my life has changed greatly and I will be able to pay for flight school in cash when that time comes. No financing! Check out his website keep an open mind and you'll be surprised what you can do. My dream of flying has been with me for more than a couple of years! Patience is a virtue!

Wow... :blink: I’m all for the make a wish foundation in terms of helping terminally ill people realize their dreams but from what I've read, you are an able bodied person who, like many of us at one time or another, is facing what appears to you to be an insurmountable obstacle.

Step back, take stock of your knowledge, skills and abilities and come up with a workable plan.

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.

Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccsuceful people with talent.

Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

The slogan ‘press on’ has solved, and always will solve, the problems of the human race."

Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of a government you don't support at this very momment.

The Dog in the Manger?

Aesop's Fable, 'The Dog in the Manger' springs to mind as I read some posts on this thread. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog_in_the_Manger

There are people who have had it far easier than me. Yet, I think it is a weakness to begrudge those people. I would not discourage anyone to use any means to reach their goal, simply because I couldn't / didn't do it myself. For if I was in their shoes, I would probably do the same. I also know that I have had it far easier than others, and hate to think they might begrudge me. In life, we do what we have to do. When Cyrak does something that is not 'by the book' (and to some might appear to be an easy way out) I can only wish her the best of luck. If it works, good for her.

When I read some of these posts, I see some flashes of jealousy: jealousy because Cyrak might possibly get an easy way in (if donations flow as hoped). (I don't support the notion that 'all must follow in my footsteps' or 'walk a mile in my shoes'. If a person can take an easier path, then great!) Jealousy because Cyrak is determined enough to put her face out there for all to see in the name of acheiving a goal. Jealousy because Cyrak has the strength of character to speak her mind and stand up for what she believes and seeks.

Here's how I see this thread panning out:

Fry - What in the hell does SSH have to do with anything? Once again, you manage to crowbar your crussade into a thread where it is totally un-called for.

Mechanic - 3.5 years in Europe? Wow! Does that qualify you as an expert on world affairs? Reality check - Sorry buddy, your US-of-A is not as 'free' as you'd like to think, nor is it the most 'free' country in the world'. Have you considered that military service overseas is the least qualifying item to have on a resume for a job as a world expert? Just a thought. Remember the film - A Few Good Men? - An illustration of how military indoctrination might colour good judgement. Hey, let's not hijack this thread...feel free to PM me instead. lol!

Them and Others - There is a way of offering advice and opinions (without molly-coddling) which does not require belittlement. Some need to learn that.

Cyrak - You certainly have shown your determination in your postings. This will help you get your goal. I positively note the way you have not been drawn into the petty jibes that some have thrown (as I have, but I'm used to it!) You have taken the time to reply sensibly to all those who have posted. You posts are edited well, and you have remained calm in your posts. These attributes to your character are commendable. Keep it up.

While your methods are not the way I would have proceded, your desire and determination, seen by the lengths you are going, are quite facinating. It must take a great deal of humility to post your myspace page, and openly ask for help in acheiving your goal. I wish you the best of luck. You might be able to help yourself by taking on sponsored tasks...That is, you do something in return for people's donations. I would only consider giving to a street sleeper if they were at least trying to say, play an instrument (albeit, often badly), or sell some handicraft. At least it shows that they are making an effort. In the same light, have you considered things like sponsored walks, bungee jumps, shaving your hair off...that sort of thing. People will more readily give if they recognise some sacrifice or feel they get something back.

As for ideas on how to raise the funds, I must concur with much which has been said. There are a few 'traditional' ways that people manage to raise funds for flight training.

1. Taking a loan - The loan system in the USA is all over the place at the moment. I don't know anything about your 'credit-rating' system so can't offer any advice here. Suffice to say that of course, the smaller the loan you need to take, the better. Do what you can before you take a loan.

2. Start part-time help at a flight establishment, taking all the mundane jobs. As your face gets known and your attitude becomes apparant, you might get an employer who is willing to help with your career.

3. So the only other way (other than inheritance or lottery) is to do the hard yards. That means work hard in another career and save hard. I think that's what others are saying. With the same determination it takes to write a myspace page, you can be making a plan for the longer term. Maybe an interim job change that will see you through the saving period?

Other than those traditional methods of raising funds, I can't really think of any others. That's because most other methods haven't consitently worked. Money doesn't generally grow on trees. There may be hair-brained schemes out there, and some stories of success against all odds...but that is what we are talking...odds.

Your idea to post on myspace certainly is bold. I think this a great. I would love to see it work. As you can see it has grated others here (most likely for the reasons I mentioned earlier). However,if it works then I applaud your audacity.

If you want my honest opinion, I think you are a little 'aimless' at the moment. You think you have run out of options and so are resorting to 'whatever it takes'. There is an answer out there. It just might not be where you think.

I think you best chance is to work out how you can increase your revenue with what you've got. Make yourself irreplaceable in your current work by taking on more projects or starting initiatives. Then you will find that you are worth more, and you would, rigtly so, command a higher salary. Money makes money...in no time you'll have what you need - far sooner than you think.

I think that you need to sit right down now and draw up a long term plan. Approach this technically rather than emotionally. Regain a hold on reality, rather than dreams. State your targets - money and time and work backwards from there. Put into place a realistic plan that will get you on the road to your destnation. Like I said, this might be initially in an opposite direction from your goal...it might take longer than you'd hoped. Sometimes a reassessment of your targets is necessary. I'm sure you can save 'here-a-bit' and 'there-a-bit'. At least though, you will be following a plan with an outcome, rather than relying on the good will of others, which might or might not yeild what you are looking for.

Hope this is food for thought for everyone. Just my honest opinion.

Joker

Edited by joker

Joker, you're normally much more level-headed than that. I've never seen you belittle others like that, so I have to wonder if it was really you writing.

Most of the posters here at VR see nothing good with this person who posted here just to solicit more money. Oddly enough, helicopter pilots are the last group with extra money to throw to panhandlers.

Cyrak is of adult age and should start acting like it. Do I want her to follow the same paths that others have taken? I'm not opposed to it. And I'm not opposed to her trying a different approach. I just don't like beggars, be it in person or online. And I have not one ounce of respect for them. I guess you're thinking that if we don't like what she has to say then we should say nothing. That's crap. This is a forum for the exchange of thoughts, whether they are popular or not.

I am curious though. Cyrak, how much free money have you collected from the myspace page so far?

Others might be sensitive to your desire to live off the fruits of this land without being willing to contribute to those fruits--and I'm talking about the fruits of freedom--but I take offense to it.

I'm curious. Would one of those "fruits of freedom" happen to be the freedom to disagree with your government, their policies, and their motivations for going to war? Where would this country be if the founding fathers had believed as you do - that a "true patriot" never speaks ill of the country or the government, no matter how far off course it has gone?

The true "fruits of freedom" in this country are not the ones enjoyed only by the elite - money, oil, land, fame, power - they are the ones exercised by those the elite would like to see kicked out of this country - the freedom to dissent, the ability to change the government if you believe it to be corrupt, and the right to abstain from participating in something (like a war) you believe to be pointless and unethical.

I applaud your attempt at a straw man, but I refuse to take the bait. As anyone would see who had actually read my posts, I never said that I was "anti-military" or in fact objected to being in the military myself. I do not even have an objection to war. What I said was that I disagree with THIS government and THIS war. I also said that I did not want this turned into a political debate. It is pointless, and inevitably degrades into personal attacks, which I do not want to see here.

However, since you quoted John Stuart Mill (one of my favorites), I will leave you with some you must have missed:

"If mankind minus one were of one opinion, then mankind is no more justified in silencing the one than the one - if he had the power - would be justified in silencing mankind."

"No great improvements in the lot of mankind are possible until a great change takes place in the fundamental constitution of their modes of thought."

"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think."

"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it."

Thank you very much for the suggestion - I will absolutely check it out! I appreciate your responding simply and directly to my request for advice.

This sort of thing is exactly what I was looking for.

Cyrak - good luck with your goals.

Way back in college, another kid (a freshman) who went to another campus of the same college I went to made the paper after he did something what many considered to be ridiculous. He wrote to a columnist of the paper, asking him print his request. His request? That everyone send him a penny to fund his college education. Just a penny. I laughed & laughed, said 'how stupid is that', 'no one will contribute', etc.... Everyone else said the same thing.

The result? He not only got enough money to finish his remaining yrs at college (3 yrs), but he also set up a scholarship fund with the money left over. And this particular school was the most expensive public college in the state.

Deep down, of course, wish all we had thought of it.

...I honestly believe that you would have joined the Army to suck the benefits out if you could...

...I am sorry you are getting mad at the ones that are pointing out reality to you.

I greatly admire those who can HONESTLY say they joined the Army for no other reason than to "serve their country". That was actually the exact point I was making by saying I would join the Army "if I could serve here in the States". I DO want to serve my country! My country needs serving! There are thousands of ports, bridges, roads, levies, airports, and entire cities that are in desperate need of repair, rebuilding, or defense. I have no interest in "serving" someone else's country, or someone else's agenda, or someone else's bank account. Unfortunately, you are not given that option. When you sign up, you become their tool, to use as they wish. It is one thing to sign up to serve a government, or even join a war, which you support, and then to find later that they are corrupt, or the war is unjustified, or the government has changed. That is the chance you take. It is entirely another to sign up when you KNOW the government is corrupt, and you KNOW you will be sent to fight a war you oppose. To make the decision not to do this is not unpatriotic. It does not mean you take for granted the rights and freedoms that other generations of soldiers have fought for. It does not mean that you are anti-military, or that you don't support those actually fighting and dying in the war, and wish them to come home safe. What it means is that you would consider yourself to be the worst kind of hypocrite if you oppose the war, and the government and agenda behind it, and yet you selfishly put your desire for money, education, or training ahead of your conscience, and sign up anyway, knowing you will be contributing to the problem. THAT is what I said.

And I have to agree with Slick1537. In the past, when we actually had a government we could respect, and were not mired in a pointless war that many Americans oppose, there were many idealistic people who, like captkirkyota in 1987, were willing to waive their GI Bill for nothing more than the "chance to serve". That was then, and this is now. Today, I doubt you would find many new recruits who would sign up for Iraq without the promise of that $20,000 signing bonus, or the GI Bill. They might say they would, but that's because they know they will get them anyway. Ask them to sign that waiver, and see what they say. And there are many other benefits which entice people to join, but have nothing to do with patriotism. Training, discipline, respect from others, travel, adventure, physical improvement, running from something at home, even the chance to carry those "cool" guns - all of these things can play their part in convincing someone to join the military, but they are all selfish in their own way. So to look down on someone who would join the military simply for what they could get out of it is ridiculous. Everyone "gets something out of it", or they wouldn't do it. Even if it is simply the self-righteous feeling of superiority over others because you "served your country" and they did not.

Who's getting mad? Not me. I asked for advice, and I am willing to accept it. I understand clearly what they are saying, and I have taken it to heart. I would even go so far as to agree with them on some points. I am far from perfect, I admit. It is not WHAT they are saying that I take issue with. It is HOW they are saying it.

Cyrak - good luck with your goals.

Way back in college, another kid (a freshman) who went to another campus of the same college I went to made the paper after he did something what many considered to be ridiculous. He wrote to a columnist of the paper, asking him print his request. His request? That everyone send him a penny to fund his college education. Just a penny. I laughed & laughed, said 'how stupid is that', 'no one will contribute', etc.... Everyone else said the same thing.

The result? He not only got enough money to finish his remaining yrs at college (3 yrs), but he also set up a scholarship fund with the money left over. And this particular school was the most expensive public college in the state.

Deep down, of course, wish all we had thought of it.

Thank you for this story. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was thinking about when I foolishly included the possibility of anyone "sending" me money. If you truly read my webpage, I never mention anyone "giving" me money, without qualifying it with the fact that I realized it was unrealistic, and that I would be more than willing to give them something in return, if they would just name it. In fact, here is exactly what I said:

"The other day, the crazy idea occurred to me that if I could somehow get 50,000 people to send me just ONE dollar each, I would have the money. But I couldn't think of any reason why they would do such a thing, as I don't know what I could offer in return, even for just a dollar."

In my mind, I was envisioning making something - anything - that people might be willing to buy for a dollar. I just couldn't think what that might be. Part of the idea of the webpage was to get other people's ideas on what they might consider to be worth sending a dollar for. As I have said over and over, I never meant to imply that I was "begging" or that I expected anyone to just "give" me anything. It has been very disheartening to find that out of everything I said on that entire webpage, and this entire thread, that is the one thing everyone has fixated on. That and my political views and reasons for not joining the military. I guess I should have expected as much.

If it will convince anyone that I am not looking for a handout, I will gladly remove the parts of the page that mention philanthropy in any way. I have gained much more from the kind and supportive advice I have received, anyway. Just please, everyone, read the whole thing with an open mind before you pass judgement, and don't take parts of it out of context and turn them into a reason to attack and insult me.

I greatly admire those who can HONESTLY say they joined the Army for no other reason than to "serve their country". That was actually the exact point I was making by saying I would join the Army "if I could serve here in the States". I DO want to serve my country! My country needs serving! There are thousands of ports, bridges, roads, levies, airports, and entire cities that are in desperate need of repair, rebuilding, or defense. I have no interest in "serving" someone else's country, or someone else's agenda, or someone else's bank account. Unfortunately, you are not given that option. When you sign up, you become their tool, to use as they wish. It is one thing to sign up to serve a government, or even join a war, which you support, and then to find later that they are corrupt, or the war is unjustified, or the government has changed. That is the chance you take. It is entirely another to sign up when you KNOW the government is corrupt, and you KNOW you will be sent to fight a war you oppose. To make the decision not to do this is not unpatriotic. It does not mean you take for granted the rights and freedoms that other generations of soldiers have fought for. It does not mean that you are anti-military, or that you don't support those actually fighting and dying in the war, and wish them to come home safe. What it means is that you would consider yourself to be the worst kind of hypocrite if you oppose the war, and the government and agenda behind it, and yet you selfishly put your desire for money, education, or training ahead of your conscience, and sign up anyway, knowing you will be contributing to the problem. THAT is what I said.

And I have to agree with Slick1537. In the past, when we actually had a government we could respect, and were not mired in a pointless war that many Americans oppose, there were many idealistic people who, like captkirkyota in 1987, were willing to waive their GI Bill for nothing more than the "chance to serve". That was then, and this is now. Today, I doubt you would find many new recruits who would sign up for Iraq without the promise of that $20,000 signing bonus, or the GI Bill. They might say they would, but that's because they know they will get them anyway. Ask them to sign that waiver, and see what they say. And there are many other benefits which entice people to join, but have nothing to do with patriotism. Training, discipline, respect from others, travel, adventure, physical improvement, running from something at home, even the chance to carry those "cool" guns - all of these things can play their part in convincing someone to join the military, but they are all selfish in their own way. So to look down on someone who would join the military simply for what they could get out of it is ridiculous. Everyone "gets something out of it", or they wouldn't do it. Even if it is simply the self-righteous feeling of superiority over others because you "served your country" and they did not.

Who's getting mad? Not me. I asked for advice, and I am willing to accept it. I understand clearly what they are saying, and I have taken it to heart. I would even go so far as to agree with them on some points. I am far from perfect, I admit. It is not WHAT they are saying that I take issue with. It is HOW they are saying it.

OK my BS detector just went off. You say you would be happy to serve your country but not deploy to fight the terrorists on their own ground. You say you want to defend the home land…………..then why don’t you join the Coast Guard?

I for one am tired of hearing people say they support our men and women in the armed services, but they don’t support the “illegal” war. This is pure crap. Either you are for the United States of America or you are not lady. How about showing some respect for the people that have served, and are serving our country currently, instead of putting them down because they are proud. And for the record, I personally know plenty of young men and women that have joined to serve their country. Not just for a few bucks toward college. Instead of telling everyone about what you are not willing to do, how about telling everyone what you are willing to do for it?

RW

Once I met a deaf/mute woman at a bar, she was selling bracelets she made to support her family. She included a little note explaining this and was charging $2 for the bracelets. I had no problem handing over the 2 bucks, between the people at my table we bought 5 bracelets from her.

Something like that might be a good idea, crafts have a lot of possibilities. Also I don't know if you read my post about the 99's, but check them out if you haven't already.

Also you could send 50 cents out of every dollar to a charity, with the stipulation that if you ever got to a point where you didn't have enough money for flight school and decide to go a different way that you would put all the money you raised towards a charity. Just a thought.

...from what I've read, you are an able bodied person who, like many of us at one time or another, is facing what appears to you to be an insurmountable obstacle.

Step back, take stock of your knowledge, skills and abilities and come up with a workable plan.

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence..."

Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the government you don't support.

Thank you for your advice. You are right - I am, for the most part, an able-bodied person. And I clearly understand that this is something many other people face, and that it only seems at the moment to be "insurmountable". That is one of the reasons I started all of this - to perhaps learn how someone else, faced with the same obstacles, managed to get past them. I have taken everything said to me to heart, and done my best to apply it to my life, my decisions, my plans, and my mistakes. Believe me, I have been, and will continue to be, persistent in this goal.

I must admit disappointment, however, at the fact that though you offer profound and intelligent advice, you felt it necessary to allow your misunderstanding of my political views to color the end of an otherwise well-written post. Perhaps I should have been more specific, but I mistakenly believed everyone would understand my meaning. What I said was that I don't support THIS government. Not THE government. I am not an anarchist. But if you feel the need to argue semantics, so be it - I still do not support this ADMINISTRATION.

Well, back to the subject of funding.... It's a hard road, to be sure. My only suggestion, given what I've been able to read (in between posts regarding political views, which probably don't need to be discussed here...) is to save what you can and just hold off a couple of more years until your credit gets better.

OK my BS detector just went off. You say you would be happy to serve your country but not deploy to fight the terrorists on their own ground. You say you want to defend the home land…………..then why don’t you join the Coast Guard?

I for one am tired of hearing people say they support our men and women in the armed services, but they don’t support the “illegal” war. This is pure crap. Either you are for the United States of America or you are not lady. How about showing some respect for the people that have served, and are serving our country currently, instead of putting them down because they are proud. And for the record, I personally know plenty of young men and women that have joined to serve their country. Not just for a few bucks toward college. Instead of telling everyone about what you are not willing to do, how about telling everyone what you are willing to do for it?

RW

This is EXACTLY why I did not want this to become a political discussion. No one actually reads what the other person writes, in context - they just pick and choose what they want to quote, and then others pick up on it as if that was truly what they believed. Everyone ends up repeating themselves endlessly until it devolves into name-calling and personal attacks. They take it as a personal offense that someone does not share their views, as if in so disagreeing, they have personally shot a soldier, and danced on their grave. If anyone is paying attention, I have repeatedly asked that people not focus on the politics, but instead stay on topic and either offer a positive suggestion, or move on to another thread. I have never attacked anyone else's beliefs, nor did I ask for a political discussion. I have been simply defending myself against everyone's immediate assumption that I am some sort of lazy, draft-dodging, soldier-hating, anti-military anarchist.

I will ask one more time. PLEASE stick to the topic! If you feel it is necessary, in order to make a point to me, to be nasty and vicious about it, then so be it. I asked for opinions, and I am quite capable of dealing with it. However, discussions about my political views are totally irrelevant, and I will no longer respond to posts of this kind. I have posted a blog on my MySpace page to clarify my views, since everyone seems so interested in them, but again, I will not discuss them here. Feel free to respond in a PM, if it is that important to you.

This is EXACTLY why I did not want this to become a political discussion. No one actually reads what the other person writes, in context - they just pick and choose what they want to quote, and then others pick up on it as if that was truly what they believed. Everyone ends up repeating themselves endlessly until it devolves into name-calling and personal attacks. They take it as a personal offense that someone does not share their views, as if in so disagreeing, they have personally shot a soldier, and danced on their grave. If anyone is paying attention, I have repeatedly asked that people not focus on the politics, but instead stay on topic and either offer a positive suggestion, or move on to another thread. I have never attacked anyone else's beliefs, nor did I ask for a political discussion. I have been simply defending myself against everyone's immediate assumption that I am some sort of lazy, draft-dodging, soldier-hating, anti-military anarchist.

I will ask one more time. PLEASE stick to the topic! If you feel it is necessary, in order to make a point to me, to be nasty and vicious about it, then so be it. I asked for opinions, and I am quite capable of dealing with it. However, discussions about my political views are totally irrelevant, and I will no longer respond to posts of this kind. I have posted a blog on my MySpace page to clarify my views, since everyone seems so interested in them, but again, I will not discuss them here. Feel free to respond in a PM, if it is that important to you.

No offense, but had you left out your personal beliefs and the statements of them in your second post, they would not have been brought up. It was you that, maybe in your subconscious somewhere?, felt it necessary to mention your disapproval of this administration and the war etc etc, rather than just stating that you had tried more than one time to join, but it will never be an option you will be able to exercise. I suggest since it seems the mods are gonna let this thread remain, that you go back and modify your first post, then PM those to whom either quoted you or made mention in a way that those who have yet to read this will not be confused, they can edit there posts, so you can keep this on the topic in which you say you want it to be, and not have anymore posts come up over the next few days/weeks as those who are out in the field or whatever who have yet to make it back and check the new messages since they were last here.

Anyway, it is an idea.

Good luck.

No offense, but had you left out your personal beliefs and the statements of them in your second post, they would not have been brought up. It was you that, maybe in your subconscious somewhere?, felt it necessary to mention your disapproval of this administration and the war etc etc, rather than just stating that you had tried more than one time to join, but it will never be an option you will be able to exercise. I suggest since it seems the mods are gonna let this thread remain, that you go back and modify your first post, then PM those to whom either quoted you or made mention in a way that those who have yet to read this will not be confused, they can edit there posts, so you can keep this on the topic in which you say you want it to be, and not have anymore posts come up over the next few days/weeks as those who are out in the field or whatever who have yet to make it back and check the new messages since they were last here.

Anyway, it is an idea.

Good luck.

None taken - thank you for being civil. You are absolutely right, it is my mistake for giving a complete answer instead of an abbreviated one. That is a fault of mine - to say too much.

It is not worth the trouble at this point to try and convince others to edit their posts. Besides, although in hindsight it was a mistake to mention my beliefs, I stand by them. I rarely edit my posts, and when I do, it is usually for spelling or grammar. When I hit "post", it is only because I have gone over every word I have written, and thought about it carefully. If others are not mature enough to read it in context, the way I intended it, and instead choose to fixate on one statement and attack me for it, that is their issue, not mine.

I do believe this thread should be removed an locked. Its to bad to see all the members who make the base of this forum tearing each other apart.

I totally agree; this thread should be closed and deleted. All I have read from this person is what they are NOT willing to do to achieve goals. I take issue with this person asking for a hand out for their flight training. Most of us here have either gone the military route (this person isn’t willing to join the coast guard or any guard other for that matter), or they have worked hard to put themselves through flight training.

I myself worked one or two jobs to pay for my own college, plus I saved money to obtain all my ratings (fixed and rotary wing). I didn’t ask for a hand out, I simply set a goal and worked hard to achieve it.

The bottom line is if you work hard, save your money almost anyone can do it.

RW

P.S. I’m going to get flamed for this but Fry’s post was on target.

Right all,

When I wrote my last post, I thought long and hard as to whether to post it or not. I knew it would cause a stir. I knew that it would lead this thread a little off topic. So for that I must first aplogise. Actually I don't think things have got that bad...yet. So here is my 'peace offering' before it does.

I targeted two individuals in my post. I targeted them with no holes barred. A little mischeiviously, yes. Fry, because I he brought up a 'pet-hate' subject (SSH) un-necessarily into this thread. That is pretty simple. Mechanic, because he brought up (although in response to Cyraks comments) a subject which I just can never let lie. There was one particular comment ("they are scared") to which I had to respond.

Both of these guys have been around on this forum for sometime. I know they are both pretty thick skinned. They should know my style too. Notice how I was much softer on 'Them and Others'? So maybe I used these two as my 'scapegoats' to illustrate the greater problem, of how people were responding to Cyrak.

Throughout her posting, Cyrak has been more than polite and sensible. I sensed that some people were belittling her un-necessarily. Why? I gave my suspicions why already. I also felt that the military guys were jumping on her 'unwillingness to go to war' to where it didn't need it. No, I DON'T think I have the title of 'Forum police'. There are moderators for that. I simply thought I would highlight this belittlement and my dissapproval of it.

Anyway, she asked good questions and didn't need some of the sarcastic replies she got.

Mechanic - You asked me why I don't fill in my profile. Its for a number of reasons, ranging from internet security, professional accountability etc..etc.. On important reason is that I can post and receive posts without it getting personal. To me, you are just a moniker. That way, I can take jibes from you (and other monikers) and bear no grudges afterwards. It means that people are unable to offend me on a personal level. How can I get feel offended by someone who doesn't know me?! Does that make sense? If you must know, I am British, though only lived there for education. I have lived in the US, Oz and Asia. Yes, I have a degree in Education. I agree, just because a person my be learned, it doesn't mean they're right. That's why I end most of my posts with...'Just my opnion'. A soft disclaimer of some sort!

So for that reason, still no hard feelings from my side.

Cyrak

First, I owe you the biggest apology for the slight thread hijack, although I think letting a thread run its coure is not a bad thing sometimes. I hope things get back on track soon.

My advice in the latter half of my previous post still stands. I think it was slightly lost in the cofuffle. I hope you might find some of that useful.

One more idea I had, just after I went to sleep was this: Take an evening job as a receptionist at some flight school. Work for a few months pocketing that extra money. Then approach the boss and see if he would be willing to help you on your first course. Whenever you have spare time, eavesdrop on the instructor's teaching, read books and ask questions. When you come to do your ground training, you'll have a pretty good handle already. Just an idea.

So, if we are all happy then, let's try to help our friend by coming up with more ideas!

'Just my opinion!'

Joker

Edited by joker