Huges 500 Video I made

Cruzin Chris

Cool video.. Nice job on the dolly landing in the end. Just did my first few dolly landings in an EC-120 last week. Very humbling.... You made it look very easy.

I'm happy when I can get it on the platform straight and the heel springs aren't hanging off the back. The EC120 has a goofy sight picture for referencing the skids to the platform, since you can't see them. When it feels like you are waaaaay too far forward and it looks like your feet are off the front of the platform, it's about right.

I'm happy when I can get it on the platform straight and the heel springs aren't hanging off the back. The EC120 has a goofy sight picture for referencing the skids to the platform, since you can't see them. When it feels like you are waaaaay too far forward and it looks like your feet are off the front of the platform, it's about right.

Exactly my problem... Sight picture looking down at the skids is awkward. Used to seeing some pointy skids sticking out but not in the 120...

That's pretty cool, man. After all this time in the pattern, it's nice to watch someone do some real flying. Hope you don't mind but I was kinda living vicariously through you for a second.

An interesting video, but absolutley no thought of what you would do if the engine quit. Don't get me

wrong, I don't care if you do aerobatics in that thing, but low and fast over the trees and everything

else is reckless. Non or new pilots may see that and think that's what we do. It's not.

I’m not sure where you are getting “low and fast over the trees” from my video?!?!

That was a take off in front of where we were parked and started up. It’s a drainage ditch that allows us to do an airspeed over altitude take off which is much safer than our other options due to power lines and population. The second take off is an altitude over airspeed with a 90 degree left to avoid the major event that was going on from our 1 to 10 o’clock position. You know “so as not to cause a hazard to persons or property”?!?! That was two take-offs and two landings with an hour of en route time spent at 1,500 feet. The video makes it appear a lot more exciting than it was, but then again that was my intent.

To say I have no thought of what I would do in the event of an engine failure and calling me reckless is pathetic. Get a grip!

I guess I saw a different video. Airspeed over altitude T.O. from the surface? New one

on me, but okay. Why skim the trees (oh yeah, not trees) at a 100'? The max performance

was interesting, too. 90 degree peddle turn, skim trees (they sure LOOKED like trees) then

60+ degree bank for safety. Why didn't you go out the way you came in? I'll do a careful

down wind take any day over that. I must agree, you guys sure got those cart landings down,

but PLEASE don't tell me you were trying to the smart thing.

• 2 months later...
I guess I saw a different video. Airspeed over altitude T.O. from the surface? New one

on me, but okay. Why skim the trees (oh yeah, not trees) at a 100'? The max performance

was interesting, too. 90 degree peddle turn, skim trees (they sure LOOKED like trees) then

60+ degree bank for safety. Why didn't you go out the way you came in? I'll do a careful

down wind take any day over that. I must agree, you guys sure got those cart landings down,

but PLEASE don't tell me you were trying to the smart thing.

Well I guess we like to play monday morning quarterback. The TO in the beginning of the video is the safest way to come out of the area we were parked in, unless you want to do a downwind TO through a parking lot with light poles and a 50ft. tall billboard. The drainage ditch makes a nice place to get your airspeed up without running into anything and then climb out at 60kts. The second Max Perf. TO is the only way you can get out of that area also. There is a tower about 100yrds. in front of me with guy wires and powerlines 30ft. in front. Trees 20ft. to the left, building 20ft. to the right and 50ft. tall trees 40ft. behind me. We were light and had plenty of power to spare. And the bank never exceded 60 degrees. Again I guess you can say what you want, but I would like to see what you would do in the same situation. Just my 2 cents from the person that does this almost everyday and the pilot in the video.

Coming from someone whom has done thousands of rides at events in which the op area was very tight, i didn't see anything wrong with the techniques in the video....

I do not agree with helonorth that it was reckless at all.

I believe you can't critique a video unless you are actually there and see the conditions first hand. Videos do not show the entire story.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the 500 has an engine failure at those speeds, and you lower the collective and slightly pull back on the cyclic, doesn't it climb a ton? It's not an R22.

p.s Airspeed over altitude is a correct technique....

DT_122101_2-vi.jpg

Sony Cybershot DSC H-9. It's a nice camera and I acutally have the Mpeg setting to lowest quality. If I bump up the quality, the file size quickly exceeds the maximum for YouTube.

Here is a short fun video I made:

Cruzin Chris;

Why don't you try Google Video https://www.google.com/video/upload/

The video quality and length that Google allows far outstrips youtube, by a wide margin.

The low res, high compression video on youtube reminds me of the mid-90's when I would download little quicktime videos from peoples websites at a whopping 160x120 resolution, with heavy compression, only possibly having audio :(

Ah, the days of 28.8 kbaud modems, connecting at 2kbit a second.. the memories, like my first trip to the dentist, ha, hah.

Check out this 5 min google video of a 500E flying almost NOE.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=937345122354486721

Go to http://www.keepvid.com/ and paste in the above link and click the link to download the mp4 version. Play it full screen and note the quality.

I would like to see your 500 vids at higher quality.

-Darwin