What Digital Camera do You Have or Want or Think is the Best?

Sparker

Hey guys... I am looking for an upgrade to my five year old Olympus 4 megapixel. I have been doing lots of searches and reading reviews on Cameras but I want some first hand experience from a Pilot's perspective.

I want to get a nice camera for flight training and I want to spend less than $200ish and I know you can get some pretty decent ones for that money now. Here are a couple pics from my current camera.

If you have a suggestion feel free to share, if you want to talk about your current camera please upload a couple sample pics of a day and night shot.

Features I want:

Good night pics

Some sort of image stabilization

Very fast between pictures

Rechargable Battery

(Pics don't seem to be working now and I am in a hurry, will post them soon)

My brother has a Canon A570is (is stands for image stablization) and he loves it. It got the

highest ratings in Consumer Reports. I ordered one for myself from Amazon.com but it

didn't arrive before I left for work for two weeks, so I can't tell you much. Check it out,

though. I paid $155.00 for it with free shipping.

Hey guys... I am looking for an upgrade to my five year old Olympus 4 mega pixel. I have been doing lots of searches and reading reviews on Cameras but I want some first hand experience from a Pilot's perspective.

I want to get a nice camera for flight training and I want to spend less than $200ish and I know you can get some pretty decent ones for that money now. Here are a couple pics from my current camera.

If you have a suggestion feel free to share, if you want to talk about your current camera please upload a couple sample pics of a day and night shot.

Features I want:

Good night pics

Rechargeable Battery

I was where your at a year or so ago. In need of a good digital, I found that I wanted the most options, And never mind the price.

I found the perfect Digital camera/Video all in one unit.

The XL-2 by Cannon.

xl2_68x68.gifCannon XL-2

At 2,500 at the time I got it, The price has dropped to 800-900 USD$ Worth every cent ! you will hard pressed to find a better unit.

there is a camera mount for this unit I'm sure anyone in the ENG field will tell you where to get it and how good this thing Really is. ~LD...

ssional

I was where your at a year or so ago. In need of a good digital, I found that I wanted the most options, And never mind the price.

I found the perfect Digital camera/Video all in one unit.

The XL-2 by Cannon.

xl2_68x68.gifCannon XL-2

At 2,500 at the time I got it, The price has dropped to 800-900 USD$ Worth every cent ! you will hard pressed to find a better unit.

there is a camera mount for this unit I'm sure anyone in the ENG field will tell you where to get it and how good this thing Really is. ~LD...

I thought maybe I made a mistake after reading this. A high end professional video camera for

$800? So I called around and surfed around and found out you're looking at $3000-$6000,

depending on lens. Even used on e-bay, bids start at over two large. I'm sure it's nice, though.

I think he said he wanted something around $200 USD, if understanding is correct. I believe the last two mentioned alternatives are well out of the $200 range.

Yeah, slightly. You want a digital camera for around 200 bucks? How about a $3000+ video camera, instead? :blink: Money no object girl says it's worth it, though!

Guest rotorflyr84

I've got an Olympus Digital SLR camera. Works awesome! Check-out the link. There's a lot this camera can do. Takes great pics for any type of situation. Well worth the price I paid for it. I've also had it for a year now, and I've had no problems either!

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/...sp?product=1192

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you some pics. I'm having a hard time getting them to upload so I can show you on VR.

Features I want:

Good night pics

Rechargable Battery

What do you mean by "good night pics"?

pictures taken out of the helicopter, or simply pictures of the helicopter/airport at night, taken from the ground?

Because, if you want night city shots taken from a helicopter, you need more than $200. You need a DSLR that can take decent shots at ISO 1600, or better ISO 3200, and a fast lens. No compact camera on the market can do that, not even close.

If you want night pictures on the ground, all you need is a camera with some manual controls and a tripod. Most compact cameras should be able to do this.

Edited by lelebebbel

For the requirements you're asking for you are going to need a much more expensive camera. Digital SLR's are getting cheaper and cheaper. I should know I work at a retail store that sells them. Your best bet would be to get a Nikon or Canon. I am a Canon guy. You can get a Canon Rebel XT with a kit lens pretty cheap. Check this out http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNDRXT1855B $493 is a great price for that camera. I used to have it until I moved up to an XTi. ISO goes up to 1600 witch would allow you took take better night shots at a higher shutter speed. I have seen some point and shoots with ISO 1600 but I dont know how well they work. I loved my XT . I would definitely recommend it.

Jordan

btw the Rebel XT is 8 MP. Check out http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos350d_samples1/ for some XT samples

Edited by montu

Check out www.dpreview.com

Check out DP Review for whatever camera you are considering.

You will need to spend a lot more than $200 for what you want.

Good night pics: You won't be able to take good night pics from the helicopter no matter how good the image stabilization or camera. Shooting at ISO 1600 or 3200 is noisy, even with current technology, and shooting at a slower ISO isn't an option because of the slow shutter speeds needed. Flash is a definite NO NO in the helicopter at night, trust me, one of my students made that mistake once so whatever you use make sure you turn off the flash.

Image Stabilization: Almost all digital point and shoot cameras have IS now, but the less you spend on the camera, the worse the photo quality with IS enabled. I usually keep the IS turned off on my P&S when I am in the helicopter. I just choose a fast shutter speed and accept a dark photo. It is easier to fix a dark photo than a blurry photo.

Very fast between pictures: If you want very fast than you want a digital SLR, not a point and shoot. If you want to spend less than $200, then you will have to live with a relatively slow recycle.

Rechargeable battery: All cameras can have rechargeable batteries. I would rather have a camera that takes AA batteries, and then use rechargeable NiMH or LI batteries from radioshack. When the rechargeables die in the middle of nowhere, just grab a couple of AA from anywhere and you are set.

I have a Canon 10D, and a Nikon Coolpix L3. I like the nikon in the helicopter because it is small and takes AA. I would love to have a Canon 1Ds Mark III, but I can't afford an $8000 camera right now. If I was looking for a new P&S it would probably be a Nikon Coolpix S700. It only has a 3x optical zoom, but the 12.1 megapixel leaves room to zoom in photoshop. It hasn't had the greatest reviews, but I liked it when I looked at it in the store.

If you have more questions feel free to PM

Kodak, Sony, Cannon...Look in the Sunday adverts from local stores and I bet you can find a few for less than $150. Most look to be in the 7-8 MP range and are probably more than enough for your needs. Many of these cameras can take movies-I did one to Salem.

Looking at video cameras for mounting outside the fuselage, I found something from Oregon Scientific for $99. I think it was called the Sportcam. You can mount it on a helmet, bike, motorcycle, or your family pet. Think "Hamstercam".

Later

Let me add to my original post.

First, everything I said I want in a camera is relative to a 4 or 5 year old Olympus. My In-law's Kodak takes better pictures than that thing. Yup... Kodak.

I am a fan of Olympus but I like Canon better.

As far as the good night pics.... I like to travel and I like good pics of a city skyline, which can of course be taken with a tripod...

As far as "fast between pictures", my Olympus has a 2-4 second lag between pictures and my in-law's Kodak has a .2-.4 secong lag

Check out www.dpreview.com

Check out DP Review for whatever camera you are considering.

You will need to spend a lot more than $200 for what you want.

I just want the best I can get in my price range, granted eventually my budget will get bigger, but I just want s step up for now and the biggest bang for my buck. I might have to go to $300 for what I want, but not more than that.

Good night pics: You won't be able to take good night pics from the helicopter no matter how good the image stabilization or camera. Shooting at ISO 1600 or 3200 is noisy, even with current technology, and shooting at a slower ISO isn't an option because of the slow shutter speeds needed. Flash is a definite NO NO in the helicopter at night, trust me, one of my students made that mistake once so whatever you use make sure you turn off the flash.

Image Stabilization: Almost all digital point and shoot cameras have IS now, but the less you spend on the camera, the worse the photo quality with IS enabled. I usually keep the IS turned off on my P&S when I am in the helicopter. I just choose a fast shutter speed and accept a dark photo. It is easier to fix a dark photo than a blurry photo.

Very fast between pictures: If you want very fast than you want a digital SLR, not a point and shoot. If you want to spend less than $200, then you will have to live with a relatively slow recycle.

Yes, but anything is faster than what I have. and you hit the nail on the head... "relatively"

Rechargeable battery: All cameras can have rechargeable batteries. I would rather have a camera that takes AA batteries, and then use rechargeable NiMH or LI batteries from radioshack. When the rechargeables die in the middle of nowhere, just grab a couple of AA from anywhere and you are set.

I hate losing rechargeable AAs and carrying around the clunky charger. If the battery stays in the camera or if I just swap between 2 expensive batteries I will probably be able to keep better track of them... just how I am.

I have a Canon 10D, and a Nikon Coolpix L3. I like the nikon in the helicopter because it is small and takes AA. I would love to have a Canon 1Ds Mark III, but I can't afford an $8000 camera right now. If I was looking for a new P&S it would probably be a Nikon Coolpix S700. It only has a 3x optical zoom, but the 12.1 megapixel leaves room to zoom in photoshop. It hasn't had the greatest reviews, but I liked it when I looked at it in the store.

If you have more questions feel free to PM

I was hoping to hear from you, the s700 looks tight!

I forgot to mention one of the most important features I want is to have it fit in my pocket.

I have been looking at Digital Camera HQ and here are my top in no order:

Canon Powershot a720is

Panasonic Lumix l27

Canon SD870

Canon SD950 (yeah, right....)

Nikon S700

I know I wont get SLR quality, but I don't have SLR budget or space, especially trying to pay cash for training.

Thanks for the input everyone and keep 'em comin'...

All for now, off to bed (still not going to mess with my sample pics yet)

ssional

I thought maybe I made a mistake after reading this. A high end professional video camera for

$800? So I called around and surfed around and found out you're looking at $3000-$6000,

depending on lens. Even used on e-bay, bids start at over two large. I'm sure it's nice, though.

nope Ive seen them for 800-900 but they are on the rise again ! here is a link http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=193003

I have a Canon SD1000 and I love it. It is on sale now for around 150 and it is one of the highest rated cameras. It has image stabilization, face detection, good night pic quality, and good video. No significant lag time between pictures. I definately recommend this one as it seems that it fits your requirements very closely.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/prod...bsection--optio

This was fetured in skiing magazine last month. Check out the shutter speed and the all internal zoom lense.has Image stabilization and a rechargeable Li-ion battery. I don't know about the night shot I've never seen one that worked well without a tripod.

Edited by beckwith

With the right equipment, it is very well possible to shoot a skyline at night from a helicopter and get good results.

I've found that you need around 1/50 or faster (camera handheld, wide angle) to get sharp results. With ISO1600 and a f/2.8 lens or faster, that is enough for a well lit city at night.

Search flickr.com for "night helicopter vegas" and you'll see - for example this one:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1055/847823...6c2d57484_b.jpg (that image right there is ISO1600 1/20s and f/4 at 18mm according to the exif data - I tried it myself and couldn't get sharp images with anything less than 1/50-60s, but then again i was shooting from a r22. I guess a big turbine ship just vibrates less.)

Edited by lelebebbel

• 2 weeks later...

K guys... After a ton more searching, here are the two I have came down to. I have had a chance to play with both of them, and I am pretty much decided.

#1 Olympus Stylus 760

Pros- The thing is sick! Better pics, IMO, than Canon. Great user interface

Cons- XD memory cards are pricey, no view finder and VERY glossy LCD that is hard to see in direct sunlight. Hopefully the screen can be deglossed somehow.

#2 Canon SD1000

Pros- Great picture quality, speedy, cheap SD cards, has a viewfinder.

Cons- Slower startup and slightly longer shutter delay, Interface seems harder to follow, buttons are poorly laide out, although I could get used to it, I don't know that I want to have to get used to it..... if that makes any sense.

Thoughts?

BTW, these are at the top of my Christmas list. (if Santa is reading this)

• 5 weeks later...
Got the Canon SD870 IS. I know you guys were just aching to hear.... :)

Hi

It is a all around great choice for the price range...I have the same camera myself!

The memory cards are everywhere and very affordable

It boots up very fast, shoots nicely and the color is typical of canon cameras, nice...

Recently I shot these images with it

Carson S-61

Let me know what you think of your camera as you get to use it more...I'd like to hear what another owner thinks of it!

Regards,

Capt. Kirk

Hi

It is a all around great choice for the price range...I have the same camera myself!

The memory cards are everywhere and very affordable

It boots up very fast, shoots nicely and the color is typical of canon cameras, nice...

Recently I shot these images with it

Carson S-61

Let me know what you think of your camera as you get to use it more...I'd like to hear what another owner thinks of it!

Regards,

Capt. Kirk

I think there might be something wrong with your link.

What I think of it so far:

Awesome pictures.

EXTREMELY difficult to navigate the various menu, the most non-user friendly gadget I have ever owned. Once you figure out how to plow your way though the various settings and jump through the hoop of pushing the "display" button when you are hovering over the proper thing, then you can take some nice photos.

I was given an Olympus Stylus 1000 for Christmas, but the pics weren't up to snuff, but that thing was so easy to navigate. My wife had it figured out in 5 minutes and the menu are the most intuitive I have ever seen.

If only the two cameras could be combined into one I would be very happy, in the end the image quality is way more important. I'll put up some pics of our new house in Monterey once we get out there in a couple weeks.... let you know more about how I feel then.

Thanks.