Finally, official confirmation. Well, its hard to find a bright side to any of this, but I do notice a lot of new VR members in the last two days !

I asked my school if they would consider offering a discount to any SSH students that still have instruction needs...guess I'll wait for an answer. Other than just say too bad, is there anything else we can do to help the guys and gals left out in the cold ?

My prayers and condolensces go out to all affected.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so people have some legitamte numbers.

In sworn statements regarding the March 2007 fatal accident in Florida, SSH provided these numbers to the NTSB

COMPANY INFORMATION

Silver State Helicopters was formed in 1999 in Henderson, Nevada. At that time, their primary business operation was flight training in Robinson R22 helicopters. At the time of the accident, the company operated a flight-training academy with 27 Part 61 instruction facilities. At those facilities, there were a total of 150 aircraft, 226 flight instructors, 2,381 students, and 67 mechanics.

I've seen posts with 600 to 700 instructors listed... theres just no way. It may have been higher than 226, but no where near 700.

Pulled out the trusty CX-2...10.5354 students per instructor. Hmmmm....my instructor has 5 students and I believe the most that an instructor at my school has had has been 8 students (not confirmable but just scuttle-butt). Interesting.... Also...not for nothing and whether it was foresight on the part of the CFI's or not, but a couple of SSH CFI's applied at my school within the last month. Just a change of scenery or did they know something was up?

I am a former SSH employee and my brother was a student he sent an email to Jerry and this was his reply...take how you may.

The company filed chapter 7 bankruptcy today. I voted against the filing and refused to sign the chapter 7 petition. I have not had control of the company for the past several months and could not stop the actions of the board today. I will be meeting with the trustee over the next few days to see if there is a solution to continue training without the former ownerships involvement. If that is not possible the court will liquidate the assets and refund money to you as an unsecured creditor. The company does have many assets that can be liquidated to satisfy debts.

I will be glad to keep you posted and I am working to get a web site up that will keep you informed. Things are a bit crazy right now so give me some time and I will explore every option.

Jerry M. Airola

Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 6:44 PM

To: Mark Fojtek; Jerry Airola; Perry Eaton

Subject: STUDENT DESERVE ANSWERS !!!!!!

I am sending this email as a very concerned student of Silver State Helicopters. Today I arrived to attend a ground school session and found a parking lot empty with the exception of a security guard. I was told by a stranger that the company that I have trusted my future with suddenly closed its doors and that no one is allowed into the building. After returning home I found scattered information on the Internet about the company filing for bankruptcy. I was able to get a hold of two CFI's who informed me that they were suddenly let go in an email that mentioned the company is trying to restructure.

As a student, I am very concerned for a variety of reasons. I am thirteen months into the program, so accordingly, Silver State has been paid in full for the entire cost of my training. I have had no contact about the plans of the company to honor the promise that was made to me to, at the bare minimum, provide 200 hours of logged flight time. I feel that I deserve at least some information regarding the plans of the company to either refund me the unused portion of my tuition or plans to continue my education. As you can imagine, I am scared right now about the fact that my dream has been ripped from me, and my financial future is now in jeopardy because of actions of others beyond my control. The loan agreement that I signed on with comes due in several months, and those loans continue to accrue interest as my training and money is on hold.

I don't expect immediate action, but as somebody whose money you are currently holding, I demand to at least know there is a plan to remedy this problem. I understand that you are most likely very busy with the recent events, but a few minutes of your time will help us all.

Thank You.

This is from the New Braunfels newspaper:

Silver State students face debts, no training

By Gerard MacCrossan

Published February 5, 2008

Air traffic control and helicopter flight training students could bear the biggest brunt of the Silver State Helicopters shutdown.

The mainstay of the Silver State Helicopters operation in 40 U.S. cities was helicopter training. Company executives boasted that most of the pilots they trained would have an opportunity to work for Silver State as instructors when they completed their training.

But for current flight students — an estimated 75 training in New Braunfels — who are yet to qualify as commercial pilots or flight instructors, they could be left out-of-pocket for the training they’ve either paid cash for or borrowed between $55,000 to $70,000 to obtain. And by press time Monday, students who spoke to the Herald-Zeitung said they had heard nothing official from the company

San Antonio flight mechanic Dan Watson, a Silver State helicopter student since November 2006, said he and other students planned to activate a Web site today to share information. Watson said he is about 48 flight hours away from earning his commercial and instructor’s licenses and heard about the closure only when his instructor called him to say all Silver State’s employees had been fired.

New Braunfels-based helicopter student Charles Dalton said Monday he borrowed $69,000 last May through Student Loan Express — a loan arranged through Silver State’s Fort Worth operation — to pay for his helicopter training. Dalton said he moved to New Braunfels to work for Silver State’s now defunct fixed-wing training program, but continued to take helicopter training through Silver State while working as a flight instructor for Aviation Academy of America.

Dalton said he borrowed the money anticipating he only would repay 40 percent of it and his VA benefits would cover the rest.

“I signed on the line because they said they are VA approved,” he said.

He found out recently, however, that the VA has not approved Silver State’s program for reimbursement and isn’t likely to cover his costs.

Dalton said he believes he’ll be stuck with repaying the loan without a guarantee of ever completing his helicopter training.

“I’m kind of in limbo,” he said.

Questions submitted to Student Loan Express as to whether Silver State students would be liable for the loans borrowed for instruction they aren’t getting went unanswered Monday. Dalton and other students said Monday they aren’t sure how much, if any, of their flight time will be transferable to another training course.

Watson said Silver State’s closure is “devastating to a lot of students.”

He hasn’t started repaying his $69,000 loan from American Education Services.

“From what we’ve been told by some of the instructors, a loan could total more than $150,000 on a $69,000 note,” Watson said.

He said it has been difficult in recent months for students to get flights because of maintenance issues, a shortage of helicopters and weather conditions.

“They’ve had classes one through four in there more than two years; they’re trying to force them to finish the program,” he said. “All these students are trying to complete training , but there are only so many flight blocks. It was nearly impossible for them to force us to finish within the 18 months, because there are not enough helicopters.”

Comal County Criminal District Attorney Geoff Barr said Monday, upon hearing of Silver State’s situation, that it will have to be determined if Silver State’s students are the victims of bad business or the victims of a crime. The only recourse for students who don’t get what they paid for could be civil.

“What it boils down to from a criminal standpoint is potentially, did the company knowingly take money knowing they were not going to provide a service,” Barr said. “The devil is in the detail of the paperwork.”

It looks unlikely however, that Silver State will fulfill its training commitments to any of its students.

Ryan

Just so people have some legitamte numbers.

In sworn statements regarding the March 2007 fatal accident in Florida, SSH provided these numbers to the NTSB

I've seen posts with 600 to 700 instructors listed... theres just no way. It may have been higher than 226, but no where near 700.

700 employees, not just instructors... Administrators, GMs, HR, IT, Accountants, etc...

The company filed chapter 7 bankruptcy today. I voted against the filing and refused to sign the chapter 7 petition. I have not had control of the company for the past several months and could not stop the actions of the board today. I will be meeting with the trustee over the next few days to see if there is a solution to continue training without the former ownerships involvement. If that is not possible the court will liquidate the assets and refund money to you as an unsecured creditor. The company does have many assets that can be liquidated to satisfy debts.

I will be glad to keep you posted and I am working to get a web site up that will keep you informed. Things are a bit crazy right now so give me some time and I will explore every option.

Jerry M. Airola

This is the typical BS that has come from this guy since...well, as far back as anyone knows.

This poor-me stuff about being undone by a credit crunch and the new ownership is a bunch of bull. The students paid in advance and the company...Jerry...blew the money on media self-promotion, unproductive aircraft and operations that did not generate any revenue. The current students had already paid for their training and if the company had not squander the cash SSH might have been able to weather the credit crunch.

The new ownership was probably trying to get under control the mess Jerry had made but with no new cash and no cash on-hand they were looking a bleeding red ink for some time to come.

This will be the second bankruptcy proceeding that is pending against this guy...all his business activities seem to end up this way.

Thanks to all who PM'd me with help on how to get my CFI check ride done. The show of solidarity means a lot and I will be calling the numbers given to me as I figure out my game plan.

Hi my name is Charity Haselip. I am a former student at the Jacksonville location.

I have been making calls to news crews all day and have confirmation of media coverage.

I believe that we should make this as big of a deal as possible to help aid in the processes that are about to unfold.

I am asking that all students and staff of SSH meet at their hangar this friday 2/8/08 at 6pm to get organized and tell our stories to local news crews, in hopes that our plight will be brought in front of a larger crowd and help our situation in regards to when the lawsuits commence.

Please, take the necessary steps of calling every student you know and instruct them to make it on friday. Also call your local news station, let them know what you have lost and whatever else you gave up to attend this school. I guarantee you they are interested in this.

If students and employees from every location can make an effort to bring light to this horrendous back stabbing it only enriches our tiny chance of recourse.

If any of you are interested please contact me and flood the media with this story.

Remember Friday 2/8/08 at 6pm accross the country.

contact me if interested

Any students in Mesa, AZ interested in joining together for a civil lawsuit may want to read the following article and get ahold of the attorney mentioned. I just called, and the receptionist said she's received several calls today from "former" SSH students (such as myself)...

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/10/26/2019621.htm

hey i deff wanna file a class act PLEASE let me know when your filing!!! stacymai@hotmailcom

What info due you know it seems on the other forum they are saying ssh has closed there doors as of 5 oclock today has anybody heard any news.

I wanted sooo much to be part of SSH. I thought it was a great opportunity to get in the field, as well as for my daughter.

Rich

P.S. Well there still may be a chance to re-organize, who knows?

What info due you know it seems on the other forum they are saying ssh has closed there doors as of 5 oclock today has anybody heard any news.

Hello all. I am a low time student in oregon and new to this site. I am just curious if a few of you seasoned folks can make any predictions on what the bankruptcy of SSH will do to the industry market, specifically students such as myself? Thanks for any responses

Hey all former SSH students. I was a student in the Ft. Lauderdale school. We are still feeling our way around the legal side of the house, but all of us believe that you should all band together and generate as much media attention in your area as possible. And write/call/harass your state attorney general. He has uber powers that other lawyers do not and can interrupt the bankruptcy proceedings. Also here are some links you all should be aware of: http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=814366, http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=5191630 http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/news/2008...copter-company/ http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/news/2008...copter-company/

SilverState Group Yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SilverStateStudents/

SilverState Family Webpage (A MUST!): http://silverstatefamily.com/

SilverState Group Myspace: http://groups.myspace.com/SilverStateStudents

Loan Dicharge forms: http://www.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/DCS/forms.html

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/stu...sp?tab=repaying

I hope this helped some of you. Please get someone in each of your areas to make a master list and email it to the rep in my area: Jose Baez [bbmovingpro@yahoo.com]

Ooooh, I want so bad to flame this thread about how I feel Silver State almost got me suckered into their scheme. But, the only thing I can do after thinking on this for a few days is tell all of you who are left high and dry at the moment that I hope and pray you get reimbursed the money due to you. This is really a sad experience as it only looked like a matter of time like the poster above me that something like this would happen. Ya know what saved me from getting dragged in this? This site right here! I went home and did some research before I committed and am sure glad I did. I mean, who wants to be that much in debt and not be certified? I really hope you guys get the money you deserve.

i grabbed my first solo pic hanging on the wall and walked out.

I'm in a daze of what I should do now...

WOW !! -- I can picture this student going in and grabbing their solo picture...

As stated by many, I feel horrible for all those who are directly and indirectly affected by this. I came very close to training with SSH... Thank God I did not.

I can only say that I've been "scammed", "let-down", "ripped-off" several times in my life. This is what I've learned...whatever price one pays, whether it be financial or that of time and effort, just consider that the cost for a great lesson. I know that seems simple, and it is easier said than done in the midst of the CRAP... but it will be your attitude that determines your future.

Sorry for the "corny" soundk, but I hope it helps !!

Learn from it and Move Forward !! --- Life's to short to get STUCK !!

I pray the best for all of you...

Mando