Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts
  • Interests:Autos.
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation/Civilian CFI

Posted 16 August 2017 - 13:44

I think I misunderstood Creep0321. I was thinking he was advising a reduction of LORs from WOs down to 3-4. You are implying he meant the total number of LORs from 6 to 3-4?

I am also strongly considering PRK in the event my vision is deemed inadequate.

Yep, total number of LORs down to 3-4. You want quality, not quantity. Quantity can actually hurt you because the board members have ~2 minutes to look at your ENTIRE packet--in otherwords they might only glance at one or two or your LORs at random. So they better be rockstar ones. If you have 6 letters and two are totally badass, two are pretty good, and two are average, you risk them glancing at only the good or average ones. Put your best 3 forward and you guarantee they only see your best.

Now, you can OBTAIN as many LORs as you want. Pick the best three, and only SUBMIT those three (or four, if you're absolutely certain the quality of the four are equal).
  • Creep0321 likes this

#622 Lindsey

Lindsey

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts
  • Interests:Autos.
  • Company working for:U.S. Army Aviation/Civilian CFI

Posted 16 August 2017 - 20:42

If anyone who has graduated flight school in the last 6 months wants to or is willing to provide updates to my WOFT Guide, send me a PM and I'll send you the original document, and of course give you credit. The whole flight school structure has changed pretty significantly with the introduction of the Lakota, the loss of the 58, and fixed wings being implemented into selection.

Additionally, the OPAT needs to be discussed in the updated version, and anything else I've forgotten.

Let me know. I feel bad that old information is out there, but I graduated before most of those changes occurred so I don't want to update old info with bad info.

#623 CharyouTree

CharyouTree

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Company working for:Student/MAARNG

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:11

I believe you said 20/70? If that's accurate, I don't believe it meets the requirements for uncorrected vision. (Note that post- PRK is uncorrected, glasses or contacts are correction)

Also, yes... 3-4 letters total.

#624 wheelsup

wheelsup

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:23

I believe you said 20/70? If that's accurate, I don't believe it meets the requirements for uncorrected vision. (Note that post- PRK is uncorrected, glasses or contacts are correction)

Also, yes... 3-4 letters total.

20/50 is the standard, you can submit a waiver up to 20/70

#625 kow10120

kow10120

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 18:52

Update: I passed the ASVAB and SIFT at MEPS yesterday with flying colors, and passed my physical today. My vision test came back with uncorrected values of one eye at 20/40 distance and the other at 20/100. They both correct to 20/20.

Was anyone else in this boat with one passing and one failing eye too? I'm thinking my next step is to schedule the flight physical and see what the surgeon's call is.

#626 JD225

JD225

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 22:30

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the info! I have a quick question. I have read it some where before but I can't find it or remember what it said, but how long after the packet due date is the board? The recruiting web site says, for ex, " sep 21 packet due, oct something for correctins, oct something for updates" so when is the actual board date so I know when it expect an answer? Thanks for the help!

#627 wheelsup

wheelsup

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:35

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the info! I have a quick question. I have read it some where before but I can't find it or remember what it said, but how long after the packet due date is the board? The recruiting web site says, for ex, " sep 21 packet due, oct something for correctins, oct something for updates" so when is the actual board date so I know when it expect an answer? Thanks for the help!

http://www.usarec.ar...dschedule.shtml

#628 JD225

JD225

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 15:37

http://www.usarec.ar...dschedule.shtml

Ohh I'm an idiot... my bad. Thanks!

#629 blue2green

blue2green

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 21:26

I have a question about PCS-Ing family while in WOCS. If you're on hold before WOCS begins for a couple of months, would they authorize the move during the hold or not until the 10 days prior to WOCS beginning?

#630 wheelsup

wheelsup

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 21:16

In short, no.

The gaining unit in this case only allows a 10 day early report, so anything further out than that would have to be taken as leave.

#631 daabears

daabears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:45

Update: I passed the ASVAB and SIFT at MEPS yesterday with flying colors, and passed my physical today. My vision test came back with uncorrected values of one eye at 20/40 distance and the other at 20/100. They both correct to 20/20.

Was anyone else in this boat with one passing and one failing eye too? I'm thinking my next step is to schedule the flight physical and see what the surgeon's call is.

what ended up happening with your vision and the flight surgeon?

• kow10120 likes this

#632 kow10120

kow10120

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 21:13

I haven't gotten the flight physical taken care of. I just relocated from Alaska to California. I'll be working near Fort Irwin for a few weeks this month though so I'm hoping to get an appointment on the books to get it taken care of. If anyone on here did their flight physical there and has any tips they'd like to share I'm all ears.

#633 dukun8ter

dukun8ter

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Human intelligence, law enforcement
  • Company working for:Signal Hill PD Dispatcher and Jailer/Civilian, Reserve Police Officer Lvl 1-D, Sept 2017 WOFT Select

Posted 12 September 2017 - 21:42

I haven't gotten the flight physical taken care of. I just relocated from Alaska to California. I'll be working near Fort Irwin for a few weeks this month though so I'm hoping to get an appointment on the books to get it taken care of. If anyone on here did their flight physical there and has any tips they'd like to share I'm all ears.

Make sure you fast for the full 12 hours for your blood work. First day is the typical physical exam with blood/urine work, ENT checks. The second day may or may not be scheduled the day after. That day consists of seeing the flight surgeon and getting your anthropometrics done. Speaking as a civilian applicant, I was not able to see the flight surgeon the day after my initial exam and had to set an appointment two months away.

• kow10120 likes this

#634 kow10120

kow10120

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 21:58

Thanks for the run down. The Alaskan Recruiter I was working with also mentioned that the process took a few months. I was hoping to get it done a bit quicker since I'll be in the area for two weeks and it's normally a 10 hour drive to Irwin. I'll just roll with the punches though and get it done.

Make sure you fast for the full 12 hours for your blood work. First day is the typical physical exam with blood/urine work, ENT checks. The second day may or may not be scheduled the day after. That day consists of seeing the flight surgeon and getting your anthropometrics done. Speaking as a civilian applicant, I was not able to see the flight surgeon the day after my initial exam and had to set an appointment two months away.

#635 dukun8ter

dukun8ter

COM Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Human intelligence, law enforcement
  • Company working for:Signal Hill PD Dispatcher and Jailer/Civilian, Reserve Police Officer Lvl 1-D, Sept 2017 WOFT Select

Posted 12 September 2017 - 23:40

Thanks for the run down. The Alaskan Recruiter I was working with also mentioned that the process took a few months. I was hoping to get it done a bit quicker since I'll be in the area for two weeks and it's normally a 10 hour drive to Irwin. I'll just roll with the punches though and get it done.

Also don't forget, you may need a sponsor to get on base. 

#636 Trinidad

Trinidad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:39

I am definitely going to need lasik or prk as my vision doesn't meet the requirements. Eye surgery is pretty expensive and out of my budget right now. Would it be wise to enlist which I have no problem with as I want to be a soldier first then a pilot, and get eye surgery from the army as my recruiter said that would be a route I can take as I can't afford eye surgery at the moment. Also, has anyone had experience getting surgery done from the army? And whether it's a lengthy process to get approved for it?

#637 Luofynerd

Luofynerd

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Company working for:U.S. ARMY- AH-64D/E Technical Inspector

Posted 20 September 2017 - 22:24

I am definitely going to need lasik or prk as my vision doesn't meet the requirements. Eye surgery is pretty expensive and out of my budget right now. Would it be wise to enlist which I have no problem with as I want to be a soldier first then a pilot, and get eye surgery from the army as my recruiter said that would be a route I can take as I can't afford eye surgery at the moment. Also, has anyone had experience getting surgery done from the army? And whether it's a lengthy process to get approved for it?

Most eye surgery places will finance. I would look into that before signing any contracts. Dont get me wrong, I love serving as an enlisted Soldier, but it's not what I want to do for 20 years.

#638 mike0331

mike0331

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Freedom & 'Merica
  • Company working for:Prior USMC Infantry, Law Student

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:58

You'd be essentially rolling the dice for a 5K procedure. You'd be much better off financing the eye surgery or getting a personal loan or something. If you really are indifferent about being an "enlisted soldier" or there is an enlisted job you'd like to do anyway, then its something to consider. Make sure you fully grasp what life as an enlisted soldier is before you make that decision to save 5 grand.

Mike

#639 kow10120

kow10120

Student Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:41

what ended up happening with your vision and the flight surgeon?

I actually completed the flight physical today, and passed vision within regulation. No waiver required. My acuity was better than the MEPS result. Maybe partially because I made sure not to wear contacts for 72 hours before the flight physical.

#640 kramey90

kramey90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 22:19

I just took my sift today and will be starting my flight physical Friday. Hoping to have everything ready for the November cut-off and January selection board. Best of luck to everyone else trying for the same board!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)

MaunaLoaVRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200Genesys VR Forum 200Able_VRHOme200DevoreHome200NFCVRForum200HomeColoradoHeliOpsHome200HeliHelmets-VR Home