Cherry Drying in Columbia River Gorge

jslider

If anyone has information about cherry drying in the Columbia River Gorge, more specifically the Hood River, Parkdale, Odell area I would appreciate it. I recently moved to the area and would be interested in speaking with the operators if possible. Thanks in advance.

This person to whom you are referring is loathe to help out anyone in the business if she even suspects that they might one day in the near or distant future be of *any* competition to her. Read her blog and see! And if you do, you'll agree that she appears to be one of the most selfish, angry, bitter, unChristianlike (she's an avowed atheist for crying out loud), ungenerous, unhelpful people in the industry. She won't even give you the time of day. It is sad.

I would look somewhere else for help.

Contact JR Helicopters instead.

http://jrhelicopters.com/index.html

FlyNHighNFast asked:

WTF does that have to do with anything?

Well, since you asked nicely, I'll tell you! And it's not that complicated. It merely backs up my statement that she is unChristianlike. Which she is, by definition, by being an atheist. Got it now? Good.

Look, we all know people who call themselves "Christians" who act in a most unChristianlike way. It is sad, but in the end we are only human. We must not hold them up as shining examples of Christianity - or even how the majority of Christians behave. In fact, we should never look to any human for perfection.

But true Christians have a moral compass. We believe that: 1) there is a Creator (whom many call "God") and that, 2) the Creator sent a being in human form to act as an example of how we should live our lives. We generally call this human manifestation of the Creator, "Christ."

True Christians know that the highest purpose we can achieve on this planet is to be in service to our fellow man. That is what it means to be human...to be a Christian human. You do good things with no expectation of anything in return. People get all confused about the "meaning of life" and all that crap. Bah. The meaning of life...our purpose on this planet, if you will, is simply to help one another and lift each other up. Christ showed us how. In doing so we will all thrive and prosper. And what a wonderful world this would be! Sadly, we humans are woefully inadequate...so far...in achieving this goal. I think it's because we get so wrapped up in protecting our own needs and possessions, assigning them more importance than anything or anyone else's.

Can you "do good things" and "be inservice to your fellow man" if you are *not* a Christian? Certainly, but you are not doing it for any particular reason other than these things make *you* feel better about yourself. Don't lie. Oh, an atheist might make some weak, feeble argument about doing things that "...benefit the tribe" which is all well and good. But there is no moral imperative to it. In fact, it can be argued that atheists have no morals at all other than a vague sense of right and wrong of which they cannot explain the origin. Oh, and they are quick to add, "I don't need any stinkin' book to tell me how or why to do it either!" True! Neither do I. The Bible (the New Testament, anyway) doesn't *tell* me what to do, like a book of holy FAR's, nor does it tell you. It tells us how Christ lived. I can take it from there.

So when this person referenced above says in her blog that she does not help up-and-coming pilots (which she did), and when you hear other things about her from people who know her and have worked with her, then you can fairly say that she is "unChristianlike." And it is not a huge insult to an atheist, and it's probably something she is proud of. I just hope that some day she sees...well...for lack of a better term, the light.

Me? I take pride in my faith, and in my Christianity. Christ set the example, and although I often fail, I try hard to emulate Him. I like to help other pilots in this business, as anyone who knows me will attest. I don't do it because I *have* to - only because I *want* to. It is why I'm a Christian. I just wish other pilots felt the same way.

FlyNHighNFast asked:

Well, since you asked nicely, I'll tell you! And it's not that complicated. It merely backs up my statement that she is unChristianlike. Which she is, by definition, by being an atheist. Got it now? Good.

Look, we all know people who call themselves "Christians" who act in a most unChristianlike way. It is sad, but in the end we are only human. We must not hold them up as shining examples of Christianity - or even how the majority of Christians behave. In fact, we should never look to any human for perfection.

But true Christians have a moral compass. We believe that: 1) there is a Creator (whom many call "God") and that, 2) the Creator sent a being in human form to act as an example of how we should live our lives. We generally call this human manifestation of the Creator, "Christ."

True Christians know that the highest purpose we can achieve on this planet is to be in service to our fellow man. That is what it means to be human...to be a Christian human. You do good things with no expectation of anything in return. People get all confused about the "meaning of life" and all that crap. Bah. The meaning of life...our purpose on this planet, if you will, is simply to help one another and lift each other up. Christ showed us how. In doing so we will all thrive and prosper. And what a wonderful world this would be! Sadly, we humans are woefully inadequate...so far...in achieving this goal. I think it's because we get so wrapped up in protecting our own needs and possessions, assigning them more importance than anything or anyone else's.

Can you "do good things" and "be inservice to your fellow man" if you are *not* a Christian? Certainly, but you are not doing it for any particular reason other than these things make *you* feel better about yourself. Don't lie. Oh, an atheist might make some weak, feeble argument about doing things that "...benefit the tribe" which is all well and good. But there is no moral imperative to it. In fact, it can be argued that atheists have no morals at all other than a vague sense of right and wrong of which they cannot explain the origin. Oh, and they are quick to add, "I don't need any stinkin' book to tell me how or why to do it either!" True! Neither do I. The Bible (the New Testament, anyway) doesn't *tell* me what to do, like a book of holy FAR's, nor does it tell you. It tells us how Christ lived. I can take it from there.

So when this person referenced above says in her blog that she does not help up-and-coming pilots (which she did), and when you hear other things about her from people who know her and have worked with her, then you can fairly say that she is "unChristianlike." And it is not a huge insult to an atheist, and it's probably something she is proud of. I just hope that some day she sees...well...for lack of a better term, the light.

Me? I take pride in my faith, and in my Christianity. Christ set the example, and although I often fail, I try hard to emulate Him. I like to help other pilots in this business, as anyone who knows me will attest. I don't do it because I *have* to - only because I *want* to. It is why I'm a Christian. I just wish other pilots felt the same way.

I'll bite.

It's good that you have something that provides you with a moral compass and that you have faith in its existence. But don't be so condescending towards those who don't believe in your Christ. I have known plenty of people who don't believe in a higher power yet are driven to help others and do what is morally right. It's not called being Christian, it's called being a good person.

• Like 5

SBuzzkill:

I have known plenty of people who don't believe in a higher power yet are driven to help others and do what is morally right. It's not called being Christian, it's called being a good person.

SBuzkill, I'm always happy anytime I hear about someone acting for the betterment of mankind. That's great! But doing so, and doing so in the name of Christianity are two different things as you point out.

You mention people you know who are atheists (or perhaps agnostics) but yet who supposedly do things that are "morally" right. Well let me ask: Where do their morals come from? If we indeed evolved out of the primordial soup, then why do *we* humans have morals that set us apart from every other plant and animal? Do tigers feel remorse when they eat their young? No.

Humans are different. We each have a "soul"...that unique spirit inside of us that makes me me and you you. We're the only species that intentionally performs comedy and laughs at corny jokes; for that matter we're the only species that creates, period! (And please don't talk to me about whale songs, because I'll throw Yoko Ono in your face as a counter to *that* argument.) We're the only species that kills for the fun of it.

I've said before, giraffes did not invent the submarine, and if we'd waited for dolphins to invent the space shuttle Neil Armstrong would be just another Navy fighter pilot. To conclude that there absolutely is *no* Creator and furthermore that there *couldn't* be a Creator is simply too narrow-minded for me. If a person holds such a belief, I question his/her cognitive awareness and ability for critical thinking.

The person we are talking about here eschews Christianity...in fact she eschews faith of any kind (except, apparently her belief that a Creator does *not* exist...which is sort of a faith in itself, no?). And so her life is not guided by Christian values, as mine is. Her life is guided by selfish, what's-in-it-for-me values. And if what's in it for her happens to coincide with what's in it for you, then fine, then she might act in your favor. But she would have no reason to otherwise - again, apart from that vague sense that people should "do good" for some reason. This is behavior that is typical of most atheists I've known, whether they espouse the anti-faith or not.

So I'm not saying that this person we are talking about is a bad human being...although there is evidence provided by her that this is the case. I'm sure she does plenty of nice things for people and animals when she is so inclined. Again, all I'm saying is that she often acts in an unChristianlike manner, to which you cannot disagree. If you think this is being condescending, well, that is your prerogative.

As she herself has already stated, someone seeking her help in furthering their career as a helicopter pilot (especially in the world of cherry-drying) would do well to look elsewhere. Like, call me for example! 850 572-1395. That's my cell. I'll tell you everything I know about cherry-drying and how to get into the field. (OW! See what I did there? A little pun to finish off with.)

I appreciate your taking time to explain your reasoning behind what you believe. I grew up in a very Christian family and have had similar discussions many times in the past. Personally, I don't believe in absolutes when it comes to things of that scale. I believe the universe is beyond human comprehension and therefore it is impossible to say whether or not a higher power exists. Things are the way they are for reasons we will never grasp.

I understand that religion is based largely on faith and that's fine. But faith alone isn't proof and I think it's a simple answer to a complex question. I hope this doesn't dissolve into an argument, because arguing something like this is worthless. I enjoy providing clarity to my opinions and gaining clarity on others', I'm not out to change anyones mind or convince them of anything.

Edited by SBuzzkill

So, if atheists agree to follow a book that advocates murder. guilt, fear, intolerance, rape,child abuse, slavery, and suffering.

Would you then accept that we have morals?

• Like 1

I believe the universe is beyond human comprehension and therefore it is impossible to say whether or not a higher power exists. Things are the way they are for reasons we will never grasp.

Since this thread has already deviated way off-topic, here's an interesting website that'll blow your mind:

The Scale of the Universe

It's amazing how much we don't know.

• Like 2

FlyHighNFast asked:

So, if atheists agree to follow a book that advocates murder. guilt, fear, intolerance, rape,child abuse, slavery, and suffering.

Would you then accept that we have morals?

I never said that and I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth. I merely suggest that Jesus Christ is the role model we should emulate. The New Testament certainly does not advocate or promote the subjects you mentioned. In fact, I reject the Old Testament for those exact reasons. In any case, I do not hold either book as a detailed Instruction Manual on "How To Live Your Life."

Someone mentioned religion. People often say that the mere belief in a Creator is therefore a "religion." I tend to disagree. I simply believe that this universe was deliberately created, and that the Creator sent someone in our own form to show us by example how to live. We call that "someone" Christ. Does this mean that I am "forcing religion down your throat?" Again, I think not. I call myself a "Christian" because I endeavor to follow Christ's example and teachings (although astonishingly, even the Catholic Bible admits that we cannot be sure that all of the quotes attributed to Christ were actually said by Him.)

Faith is a funny thing. It is so personal. Nobody wants to be told what to believe. Not even me. Our universe is vast; we know so little. I think it is incredibly pompous and arrogant for someone to say definitively, "THERE IS NO GOD!" I mean, how can anyone rule out the possibility? I think such a belief demonstrates a *huge* lack of intelligence and seems very narrow-minded. Sure, you cannot scientifically "prove" the existence of a Creator, but that's okay. There are a lot of things that cannot be scientifically be proven.

When I look around, I see "evidence" of a Creator all over the place. I see it in those magical sunrises and sunsets where you look down upon the world as very few get to see it and go, "My God, that's beautiful!" Oops, pun intended! I see it especially when I read something...or hear an incredible piece of music, say, and I think to myself, "How can anyone create something so beautiful?" And see that's the thing: *WE* humans have the ability to create something out of nothing. Is it such a stretch then to think that "something" didn't create us?

Nevermind all that tangible, physical stuff. Here's a challenge to all you atheists out there: Prove that love exists. You can't see it or measure it or touch it. When someone tells you they love you, you just have to take it on...wait for it now...faith. How utterly dismal this world would be if we didn't believe in love...or if we demanded scientific proof that a person's love for us existed!

If I can love someone, and if I can believe that someone loves me, then I can have faith in other things. I can leave myself open for the possibility that I do not know it all - I can *allow* myself to have faith in things I cannot see.

This thread began because someone wanted information on cherry-drying in Washington State. Obviously, few of the readers of this board have that information or they would have posted it by now. It was suggested that the OP contact a person who actually does such work in a different part of the state. But this person has publicly stated that she will NOT help people. In fact, she rather gleefully reported that whenever she gets phone calls from such pilots, she gives monosyllabic non-answers until the caller gets frustrated and just hangs up. Her blog shows her to have certain unpleasant qualities (as verified by people who actually know her), one of which is being unChristian - again, as she herself readily admits.

When we blog (and I do too!) we open ourselves up to criticism. People could read my blog and make judgments about me based on some of the things I say. I may come off as a HUGE a-hole or DB. I accept that. The woman blogger mentioned above should also realize that when she says she won't help other pilots out it pisses *this* pilot off (and I don't need her help). It especially pisses me off when I know how she got her first contract up in Washington. She wasn't just joyriding around the country when she stumbled onto that cherry-drying gig. But that's another story.

It is true that this thread has "gone off the rails." But as far as I know there is no law that says all internet discussion forum threads *must* stay on-topic under penalty of arrest and incarceration. Sometimes discussions go off in different directions. That's just life.

You can choose to be an atheist. That's fine. But I look inside of me. When I see that talented, creative, loving, funny(?) person I have to ask myself, "Where do those things come from? Happenstance? Coincidence? Just the randomness of a chaotic universe?" Well, no. They ARE the qualities of whoever or whatever created me. And you know what? I thank God for them. I thank God every day that I have the knowledge and ability to fly helicopters - something that *not* everyone on the planet has - and see the world from our unique perspective.

And even though you might not, I thank God that you have these qualities too.

Have faith, people.