• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Topguntwo2020

Topguntwo2020

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 00:52

Hello everyone and thank you all for your valuable insights. 

I am 34 years old turning 35 next year on April. My dream has always been to be a helicopter pilot but I got the wrong advice from a fellow helicopter pilot near my local small airport, who told me to stay away from helicopters and go fix wing, the irony was that he was giving helicopter tours on his own helicopter to the public lol. Well 17 years later with 3000 total flying hours ( 1300 hours on an Embraer 120 part 121, 50 as a captain), gold seal multi-engine instrument instructor, a bachelors degree in Professional Aviation and now about 7 years as an Airport Operations Airfield Officer- I find myself feeling empty and wondering what is it that I need to do next to get that spark back?. It wasn't until this month that I woke up and realized that maybe the military is the answer for my helicopter long lost dream. I have done some digging around the web and this website and I have learned about the WOFT program in the Army, but the age cut off is 33, is that really the case? I haven't flown is 7 years but I have kept all my aviation licenses current. Realistically, it will take me a few months, to refresh all my aviation knowledge and to do a hardcore Avsab and Sift test prep. 

So finally the questions I need to ask you all honorable fellow aviators is what are my choices if I want to fly in the military other than the Army WOFT for my age and experience? 

I don't want to quit my current job. I like my current job very much and I'm wondering if as a local government city job, I can be a reserve military pilot and be excused for military deployment without affecting my current job? apply for USERRA maybe  

Thank you all very very much!!

#2 Captainstank056

Captainstank056

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:37

Talk to a recruiter somewhere and mention this and ask about an age waiver. If he/she says its not an option, walk to another recruiter or find a different station. Waivers are possible and (I dont know frequency) have been approved for a lot of people
  • Topguntwo2020 likes this

#3 Simpsj17

Simpsj17

PVT Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:30

The waiver would get approved at the proponent after submitting the packet.

#4 ByteFlighter

ByteFlighter

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Company working for:The Big Green Weenie

Posted 11 July 2018 - 19:52

To be 100% frank : It is NOT *Impossible*, but HIGHLY unlikely you'd get a waiver especially as a non prior service person - like 95% unlikely at your age.

But hey, go for it dude.

#5 Flim

Flim

VR Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Company working for:ARMY

Posted Yesterday, 17:12

I had one at 33... They need people so bad, it would get signed!

I would do reserve or Guard... do not come active!

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users

Genesys VR Forum 200NFCVRForum200HomeBE_VRHome200PrecisionVRForumHome200HeliHelmets-VR HomeMaunaLoaVRHome200Spectrum_VRHome200AMTC 2018