headset question for yall

Yamer

ok so i know there's another thread going but here's my situation. im starting flight school soon at my local helicopter school, civilian route, and was thinking that owning a headset would be a good investment both now and for the future. i have a beer budget with hardly any loose change... i was looking at getting something like the ac-747FL cause i like the light output system on it... is there any other headsets that you would recommend that are fairly cheap but are nice enough to last me through 1000 hours or so???

Keep in mind that a good headset is an investment. Your hearing is an important key to passing your medicals, now and in the future. And helicopters are noisy. So invest in a good headset. Check ebay for possible bargains or the local flight schools. I have used David Clarks, with and without the super muffs. Also Telex and Bose. The difference between the Bose and the Telex ANR headsets are very slight, except the price. Personally I use the Telex ANR and have used it for several years. Telex offers very good support and to me is better than David Clark.

Trust me, a high quality headset will make a big difference in your comfort and experience while training and later in your career.

ok so i know there's another thread going but here's my situation. im starting flight school soon at my local helicopter school, civilian route, and was thinking that owning a headset would be a good investment both now and for the future. i have a beer budget with hardly any loose change... i was looking at getting something like the ac-747FL cause i like the light output system on it... is there any other headsets that you would recommend that are fairly cheap but are nice enough to last me through 1000 hours or so???

Headsets are an investment, even if you buy what most would deem an inexpensive one. What I did was I made a goal of getting thru so many hours before I even considered buying one. I purchased one after I hit 30 hours...kind of like earning it..and then got it for "christmas" :)

Trust me, a high quality headset will make a big difference in your comfort and experience while training and later in your career.

This is a good point. I often fly with a guy who has an ANR set (Bose) and I routinely have to ask him what a controller just said. My hearing is great, but the sound quality and noise reduction of the DC's that I wear is just nowhere near that of the Bose that he wears. This does add stress to the flight. I noticed it especially during my IFR training. I don't regret getting the DC's though, because they're bullet proof and will make a great backup set or to loan to family or friends flying with me. I haven't tried the Halo or Clarity Aloft that Gomer recommends, but I intend to try them before I go and shell out for an ANR set. The few people that I have spoken to that wear that style of headset swear by them.

Edited by heli.pilot

I agree. I used a DC for about 10hrs, then reasoned that I'd rather spend the money once on a good headset than use the DCs for 500hrs and shell out twice as much again on an ANR set. So I bought eBay Bose with less than 20hrs on them, got the original receipt from the seller so I still had the warranty, and had them in my hands 2 days later for $650. I have a friend still flying with his starter DCs from 12yrs ago and 2 other guys both with Bose Series IX's that they love 10yrs later as well. Personal preference, but I always enjoy hearing what people have to say! I'd like to try the Halo and CA setups at some point but it also depends on the application.

Gomer, don't you fly EMS? No helmet?

~HG03

I have about 30 hours on my AC-747 set. I have the non FL type. I liked mine so much I purchased an additional 4 sets, yes I have 5 sets of the 747 now. I found them on close out on Ebay, bought them just incase I get the money to get that 44 or new 66 or that Cessna cough cough, ha ha... I have them with both foam and gel seals installed.

I used my schools DC's and they sucked!!!! Maybe they were just high milage units, but it was enough that I didn't want a set. I believe that they are these DC's, headset.

The 747's are light, sound great, dual volume knobs, if you want to go fixed wing too the quick change cable is nice and NRR of 24db PNR. They are economical, not cheap..

Good Luck.

CEP CEP CEP CEP CEP CEP CEP

Then whatcha do is install them in the cheepie DC's. and there ya go. If the CEP's go out, it's not that expensive to get another set. As for the earplugs, Gomer has a way to make them from the EAR earplugs that basically puts a tube in the middle to transmit sound. It is most excellent.

CEP CEP CEP CEP CEP CEP CEP

I agree. I used a DC for about 10hrs, then reasoned that I'd rather spend the money once on a good headset than use the DCs for 500hrs and shell out twice as much again on an ANR set. So I bought eBay Bose with less than 20hrs on them, got the original receipt from the seller so I still had the warranty, and had them in my hands 2 days later for $650. I have a friend still flying with his starter DCs from 12yrs ago and 2 other guys both with Bose Series IX's that they love 10yrs later as well. Personal preference, but I always enjoy hearing what people have to say! I'd like to try the Halo and CA setups at some point but it also depends on the application.

Gomer, don't you fly EMS? No helmet?

~HG03

I got my Bose off ebay too, $600. Like new, works like a champ! I figured get it early, save my hearing early, can hear radio calls SO much better than the DCs AND the more I use it the cheaper it gets in the long run :) Check ebay out before you do anything, good deals to be had on there. Good luck!

I use the Lightspeed M1 with custom moulds no clamping great noise suppression at ALL FREQUENCY'S, We also have 4 sets of Pilot DNCs good anr & fair noise suppression if batteries go flat.

When buying ANR check the sound suppression at the higher frequencies this is where the ANR is not as efficient

I bought my David Clark H10-13H new on eBay for $100. They are rock solid, good investment for your flight kit. Later on in your career you can afford more expensive ANR types but for starting out, excellent choice in DC.

Rotorrodent :)

David Clark's are good enough for the military :)

I'm like Rotordent, I'll get a better, ummm, I mean more expensive set :) when I start making the big money :lol:

I have the Quiet Technologies HALO. They take some getting used to if you've been using DC's or any other traditional headset, but they perform at least as well as my ANR DC's (which I got on eBay for $450). The HALOs don't clamp down on your head and are far more comfortable than my DCs, they're secure, work fine doors off, and have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. The only 2 problems I've had are that my instructors (all Bose guys) raise eyebrows suspiciously at them, and you have to modify your start-up routine a little (you don't just pop the HALOs on). Forget how much they were, but I think they come in at less than 1/2 the cost of Bose's ANR.

--c

David Clark's are good enough for the military :)

Remember the military goes to the lowest bidder. Because they use it isn't an endorsement of quality. Although the DC's i have used are tough as nails and good quality. DC's are called 'Head Vises' for a reason.

I just checked Ebay and found several Telex ANR's for sale for $300 or less. They are all airplane headsets, so you may need to purchase an adapter.

I bought my David Clark H10-13H new on eBay for $100. They are rock solid, good investment for your flight kit. Later on in your career you can afford more expensive ANR types but for starting out, excellent choice in DC.

Yeah I have the H10-13 and it's a good little thing. Very comfy to wear, good mic and sound quality. If you're operating in cold climates though I'd opt for the non gel earcups. Leave em out in the cold and they freeze solid very fast. Trust me... using your skull to thaw them out while flying is not a fun time! Sometimes in the summer they can be prone to bursting too if it's really hot outside. But all that aside I still use the gel earcups as they fit and feel great 99% of the time.

get a good millitary headset on ebay and change the mic out to high impedance. David clark will tell you that you need to switch the earphones out they are trying to get your money. i have 9 of em that use to be millitary i was in the millitary i found this to be cheap and easy way of getting good quality headsets. I also have been to flight schools who rent their headsets for 10 bucks a day may be something you want to look into.

awesome, thanks for all the input guys and girl. lol i think ill check with my flight instructor to see what she recommends and go from there but if i had to pick one at this very moment i think i'd pick halos or clarity alofts just because i've worn the over the top style headsets in the fire trucks over my hat and sunglasses and they SUCK after like 30 munites... can only imagine what its like flying... gotta do some more research on the bose and avcomm 747's but i think ill whind up getting something like halos...

this forum ROCKS... thanks for all the input again

i've worn the over the top style headsets in the fire trucks over my hat and sunglasses and they SUCK after like 30 munites...

Oh ya, we have something in common. I repaired fire trucks in the USAF. Pretty cool job. Like repairing Super Soakers on wheels, well the ARFF types anyways...

Good Luck with the headsets..

um... hmmm... what to say to that... ARFF shouldnt even be called firefighting... all they do is sit there in the cab and move a joystick to spray the water where they want... LAZY!!! dont get me wrong... it still sounds like fun to me but i dont think its better then actually getting out there and breaking stuff and FEELING the heat...