What Towing Method???

Now that I have my R22 to my airport, I'm now wanting to get a good tow vehicle/cart.

I have to admit that I think the Robinson electric tow cart is way overpriced at $6400.00. I even found Robinav's gas tow cart that looks alot like the Robinson except is gas driven for $3200.00.

I even found Cove Helicopter's tow bar for $440.00, then you need a tow vehicle:

Here is the site: http://www.covehelicopter.com/robinson-movers

What are you all using, if any? I just prefer not to be pulling down on the tailboom all of the time, plus the hanger door rails are an issue if you are alone.

I am also concerned about using a tow bar hooked to some tow vehicle, as the power of a lawn tractor/golf cart/ATV or the like, could easily do damage to the R22.

Are my fears a real issue? Am I too concerned?

If you have experience with these, I would like to hear your thoughts before I make my decision.

Thanks,

edspilot

We pull our R22's and R44 in and out of our hangers daily by pulling down on the tail boom, although the R44 requires 1 person on the tail boom and 1 pushing. It has never caused any damage to the tail or any other part of the helos. In the school I went to during my training, before going out to practice full downs my instructor would put his students in the cockpit and then pull the tail down so that the stinger would be on the ground. This would give the student an idea of what kind of pitch attitude would cause a tail strike.

A tow cart is over-kill for a R22. Although a steep ramp up into a hanger can be tricky if you're on your own. The door rails would have to be quite wide to be a problem if you have any kind of momentum going.

Get a dolly, land on it and use a tow cart to move the dolly. Easier than having to always put the wheels on.

JD

I was going to say the same thing.

A dolly has several advantages. The biggest are:

1. You can tow it with just about anything; golf cart, lawn tractor, your truck, etc.

2. You can pull the bird in and out by yourself.

3. You can move the bird to another facility on the field without firing it up...etc.

4. No damage from a careless handler around your tail rotor/boom

5. No damage from heliporters knocking off antennas

6. No damage to the skids

7. ETC........

I was going to say the same thing.

A dolly has several advantages. The biggest are:

1. You can tow it with just about anything; golf cart, lawn tractor, your truck, etc.

2. You can pull the bird in and out by yourself.

3. You can move the bird to another facility on the field without firing it up...etc.

4. No damage from a careless handler around your tail rotor/boom

5. No damage from heliporters knocking off antennas

6. No damage to the skids

7. ETC........

As long as you hangar door is tall enough...hence the Hiller sitting outside right now... <_<

i only have experience with R44s, but we used a helitow cart.. a really nice contraption. we had two, the older one with skinny wheels and a manual hydraulic jack, and the newer one with fatter wheels and the electric jack. they both work great. you can check them out here:

i actually will be buying one in the next few weeks and this is the one i will purchase.

http://www.helitowcart.com/helitowcart_ang/cart-01.html

the dolly is a nice option, but it takes up more room and you need a golf cart or four wheeler to move it. also, you have to measure the risk of who can land on the cart.

dp

When I started flying as a student pilot, the school kept the 300cb on a dolly and we towed it in and out of the hanger. I never had any problem with it.

Good point brought up about making sure the helicopter will still fit in the hanger when on a dolly. Unless you keep it outside of course.

JD

• 12 years later...

At $11,600 the tow cart has not become any cheaper in 12 years. Covehelicopters mentioned by the OP seems to be out of business.

Any cheaper idea? (apart from purchasing a used one..)

(You do need someone on the ground to stow back the dolly in the hangar after you leave, or to prepare it for you (preferably in the wind) when you arrive. That's why I prefer a towcart.)

I constructed a 12' X 12' cart with hitch and used a golf cart for transporting the first R44. Gave that away when I sold the ship and heard that the new owner landed short on it, teetered back, over corrected forward and contacted the rotor blades with the hitch. Not a pretty sight, but no injuries.  I never had a problem landing on the cart, but it spooks even experienced pilots.  With the second 44 I made a four wheeled tow bar with jack that engaged the tow ball, also made new easily rolled solid ground handing wheels with long handles.  I found that solution the best.

Mike

Tow.zip