Attention AG pilots and others that wear helmets.....

captkirkyota

Don't get sucked into ebay purchases. You have no idea where the helmet has been, or it's history, regardless of what anyone tells you. You have no way of verifying the shell integrity or it's fittings. Don't be cheap. Spend the money to buy a decent helmet, and buy a new one. You're far better off to get a custom fit liner, too. Get one sized for your head, with a liner fit for your head, and new avionics.

Once a helmet has taken a good rap, it should be discarded. Who's to say that what you buy from someone on ebay hasn't already been dropped, banged, or used in a wreck? You don't know, even if the seller states otherwise. Pretty paint doesn't mean a thing.

If you trust your life to ebay, then by all means, be at peace with being cheap. If you have any love for your own life, don't let your drive to be cheap overcome your will to live. Buy a good headset new, from a reputable seller or direct from the manufacturer.

I use a HGU-56P, with the dual visors, so I still have eye protection at night (It's amazing how many birds fly at night) and I've been pretty happy with it. A skull cap is a must, if you want to control moisture, and prevent your helmet and head from smelling like an old sneaker.

Ironically two of my worst bird strikes were at night. I've long lost track of the number of birds I've hit at low levels, but both of my night strikes occurred at 10,000' in mountainous areas, and both of those were in fixed wing aircraft. One crushed the radome on a Lear 35 and got the right windscreen. The other one involved a Cessna 182 and what ever it was, it was big and left a big mess. I took that one in the windscreen, too.

Most definitely things can happen at night.

I use a HGU-56P, with the dual visors, so I still have eye protection at night (It's amazing how many birds fly at night) and I've been pretty happy with it. A skull cap is a must, if you want to control moisture, and prevent your helmet and head from smelling like an old sneaker.

LoL or you could just pull your liner out and wash it every once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

My agency recently went through testing of different helmets with the plan to standardize all of us helicopter pilots with the same gear (right now we have a mix of Gentex HGU and SPH).

One thing that came out in the research is that the Gallet helmets are not as crashworthy as the Gentex Helmets. I don't know the reference for this but was wondering if anyone else can verify.

Also, I don't wear a skull cap because the ones I've tried cover my ears and reduce the seal, thus letting more noise in. For those who wear a skull cap, do you do anything about this or just live with it?

My agency recently went through testing of different helmets with the plan to standardize all of us helicopter pilots with the same gear (right now we have a mix of Gentex HGU and SPH).

One thing that came out in the research is that the Gallet helmets are not as crashworthy as the Gentex Helmets. I don't know the reference for this but was wondering if anyone else can verify.

Also, I don't wear a skull cap because the ones I've tried cover my ears and reduce the seal, thus letting more noise in. For those who wear a skull cap, do you do anything about this or just live with it?

I use CEP's with the thin liner and all is good.

I think your tin foil helmet is on a little too tight.

Given your lack of ag experience and your lack of experience with a helmet, perhaps that's the best you could hope to offer in a thread about the use of helmets in ag work,isn't it?

It is.

What did you think you could contribute?

Aw, don't get so bent out of shape, bug. I was merely thanking you for the contribution of your laundry tip. I guess you're still mad because tracon owned you petty good. I would give you the same advice: stick to what you know, but I'll add, not things you think you know. You'll get embarrassed! Happy new year!

• Like 1

You're confusing your threads, but your common contribution to each is a grand total of zero, here and there. Your best effort seems to be making smart-ass remarks, which are neither helpful, nor useful to anyone. Perhaps your best place to post would be the old board at just helicopters. It's more your style.

"Owned," incidentally, is kid-speak for rubber-boned teenagers, but Tracon was then, and is now, quite wrong, and has been shown to be numerous times over. Moreover, he or she was unable to participate without falsifying "facts," inventing quotes, and providing bad, inaccurate information that was proven wrong repeatedly. You appear of the same ilk. Hopefully you're not trying to enter a career and simply do this for fun, because your poor attitude won't benefit you much in your efforts.

Can we not turn this topic into another childish, look how far I can piss thread? Lets try and keep the ego's to a minimum!

• Like 1

Thank you for your input regarding the origin and proper usage of the word "owned". While it apparently has not yet reached the geezer vernacular, it does aptly describe the thrashing you took over there (ouch!), teenage speak or not. I eagerly await any new laundry tips as I have been contemplating washing a newly purchased, but used, helmet in the dishwasher. I bought a second hand leaf blower off a guy on Craigs list and he threw it in for free. As soon as I save up $180 for my R22 intro flight, I plan on using it for flight training. Again, thanks for all your advice and if you find any other 5 year old threads you can drag up to add your valuable input to, please do not hesitate to do so, as I enjoy a good laugh as much as anyone. helonorth

Edited by helonorth