battalion board on 22nd

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and was looking to ask a few questions and maybe get some input on my WOFT packet. My name is Seth, I'm 19 years old and graduated from a Department of Defense school in 2008 over seas. I'm a military brat and most of my extended family is in the Army whether it be active or the reserves, enlisted or officer. I've grown up around this military tradition and am really looking forward to hopefully becoming the first Warrant in my family.

I have researched extensively about my packet and am completely done with my packet. Thank God.

ASVAB: 96, with a GT: 135

AFAST: 130

High School diploma, with no college.

Better than 20/20 vision

PFT: 256 (Sucky, I know.)

LOR: CW5 in aviation (has sat on many boards), CSM in aviation, and the CG of Aviation and Missile Command

Okay, that's pretty much the basic information about me, and I have my battalion board on the 22nd of December. I can't help but to be very nervous about this. From what I have read there are going to be lots of questions about my background and things I did. The reason this makes me nervous, is that I didn't do very well in high school. I was focused on other things, but I've scored well on my tests and I've worked diligently for the past 6 months to complete my packet. This is my chance, to do something I an really be proud of. I don't want to blow it.

My questions are, how should I present myself at the boar. Well, more specifically, how should I respond to questions about high school? Do you think that my past will hurt me? Also, I don't have too much work experience. I would greatly appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks.

-Seth

Well, I don't really have any advice to give you - you are much further along than I am! All I can say is "Good luck!" I really hope you make it. Your scores and LoRs look good, but again, I don't know how much that matters.

If it were me, I would make sure that they knew I wasn't making excuses for myself about high school, but perhaps go on to state why you did poorly. Not a lot of work experience is understandable, from my perspective, because of your age and this economy. Many people are having a rough time finding employment. What have you been doing in your free time? If volunteering, tell them that.

Sorry I can't provide a lot of advice.

Hey Seth,

Good luck on the boards. You look like you've put together a solid package. Just go into the board with confidence and honesty. You'll do fine.

Also, don't treat this like your last chance to do something you're proud of. You're 19, and you're applying to the board for the first time. I'm going to be almost 26 when I apply.

My recruiter told me there are 3 types of canidates that hit the board. The first type are those that get selected. The second, are those that don't get selected, but should apply again to a future board. The third are those that are not selected and really shouldn't try again.

As long as you avoid being in that last pot of people, you'll have plenty more oportunities to improve your resume or keep applying. At 19, you have nothing but options. Just focus on self improvement and keep going after those flying oportunities.

-T

• 1 month later...

After a few hiccups, I finally boarded for my WOFT packet this morning. I was approved and told they don't do the 25/25 anymore by some guy but I'm not sure if that correct. The interview was very ODD, haha. I believe they tried some mind games on me haha. But in the end they said we're going to give you this chance and approve this packet, so that's all that matters to me. Wish me luck for the USAREC on the 8th of Feb.

-Seth

After a few hiccups, I finally boarded for my WOFT packet this morning. I was approved and told they don't do the 25/25 anymore by some guy but I'm not sure if that correct. The interview was very ODD, haha. I believe they tried some mind games on me haha. But in the end they said we're going to give you this chance and approve this packet, so that's all that matters to me. Wish me luck for the USAREC on the 8th of Feb.

-Seth

Congrats!! I'm curious as to what types of questions they asked? Very cool though, that's a big hurdle that's out of the way for you! Just a waiting game now, yeah? :) Good luck! Be sure to let us know the results when you get 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to the same USAREC board as you. I have some flight time and college, but WAY less knowledge of the military. I bet your LOR's are killer! I wish you the best of luck and maybe we'll see each other at "mother rucker"!

On a side note, anyone know how you're supposed to find the results of the board when your a civilian? I can't log into the website to make an AKO account to view the MILPER message with my social. It just pops up and says I'm unauthorized. Do I have to wait for my recruiter? I hope not, I've had to hand hold him the whole way and it still has taken 11 months to get to here!!

Josh

Just got the depressing call as well. So NO AVIATORS got selected? If that's true, then why even have us (aviators) board this month? I can only submit my packet twice before being stamped "non-selected non-competitive" right? Yeah next board is March 15th or so I was told also.

Edited by Phoenix1284

I was a first time non-select, and a second board select. I know the feeling. Don't fret, there is a second chance. And I really doubt there were no selects this month. The civilian board selected 12 in Dec and 12 in Jan.

I sure hope it's not true that they selected no 153As this board. Looks like the Army is suffering from quite a backlog - they just changed OCS selections so everyone is now selected at the USAREC level, not the local battalion board level. So, similar to WOFT selections, but damn.

Hey guys, I'm sorry to hear about the non-selects. I have not got word from my recruiter yet either and will hopefully hear tomorrow. I hope I have good news!!!!!!!! The stress is amazing right now. haha Alright, I'll keep ya'll posted.

-Seth

In the meantimes, try reading the first couple articles of my blog and maybe comment if you feel so inclined. www.sethmeredith.tk

And I really doubt there were no selects this month. The civilian board selected 12 in Dec and 12 in Jan.

I have 2 unrelated and reliable sources now confirming there were no aviators selected by the civilian USAREC woft board for February. It's still just their word but I believe it. Is there a list of results published somewhere on AKO or the Army times? I realize the active duty board results are but not sure if the civilian ones are or not.

Okay, so I have relatively odd news. My packet had a juvenile offense envolving snowballs and it had to go before like a review board and it didn't make the cut in time for the Feb. 8th board, I'm gonna be waiting another month now, until March 15th and if I don't make then, I'm stuck waiting until April. This is taking so long and the longer it takes, the more of a let down it will be if I'm not accepted. Sometimes, I think i'd be better off just enlisting now, but that just my impatient streak. Anyone hear good news?

-Seth

Okay, so I have relatively odd news. My packet had a juvenile offense envolving snowballs and it had to go before like a review board and it didn't make the cut in time for the Feb. 8th board, I'm gonna be waiting another month now, until March 15th and if I don't make then, I'm stuck waiting until April. This is taking so long and the longer it takes, the more of a let down it will be if I'm not accepted. Sometimes, I think i'd be better off just enlisting now, but that just my impatient streak. Anyone hear good news?

-Seth

LOL snowballs?!

This may relate to what you guys are talking about. I'm about halfway done with my WOFT packet and was gonna hopefully shoot for turning in March 15 and having a board May 15 but my recruiter just called today saying that WOFT is closed for now or not accepting for now. He didn't have much to say really. Maybe our situations are related? about no aviators being selected from the most recent boards

This may relate to what you guys are talking about. I'm about halfway done with my WOFT packet and was gonna hopefully shoot for turning in March 15 and having a board May 15 but my recruiter just called today saying that WOFT is closed for now or not accepting for now. He didn't have much to say really. Maybe our situations are related? about no aviators being selected from the most recent boards

I would say that maybe your recruiter is just being lazy, but the fact that you're halfway done makes it hard for me to believe that he'd throw the towel in now. It sounds like both of your situations may be related; definitely post something on here if you gather any further information.