Ipad with 3G and GPS

I just ordered an Ipad with 3G, which comes with GPS. Just wondering what experience people have had with Iphone or Ipad apps for navigation? The Ipad seems to fit the need with a nice large screen, I would not bet my life on the accuracy of the GPS, but its probably close.

No problem, if you contact my attorney in Hong Kong and provide him with your bank account number, SS number and other info; he will be able to transfer a nominal shipping and handling fee from you bank account. Once he has received the funds your Ipad will be shipped. :lol: :lol:

Edited by Snowman

No problem, if you contact my attorney in Hong Kong and provide him with your bank account number, SS number and other info; he will be able to transfer a nominal shipping and handling fee from you bank account. Once he has received the funds your Ipad will be shipped. :lol: :lol:

hummmm...this sounds vaguely familiar....

HeloJunkie,

I might be able to accommodate you also, please send your info to my lawyer in HK, and pass this info on to your friends. :P :P

I've had an iPhone about 6 months now and there's nothing else out there anywhere near it. The GPS nav is excellent, both in a vehicle and on foot, the vehicular ones can come with a booster aerial which makes it even better.

The iPad is even better as it has a large screen and is easier to look at. We're looking at developing some apps (not heli related) and have been impressed so far with the overall design of the operating system. This translates into a more stable platform for GPS related apps which in turn puts the quality at the top end of the scale. I'm sure you will be more than impressed with your excellent purchase.

Edited by TomPPL

Not to sound like a fanboy or anything (ok, I'm gonna sound like a fanboy haha), but apple products are far superior than other operating systems in my opinion. I was always raised on windows platform computers and that was all I was used to. A few months ago I bought my first Mac after my sister convinced me to get one. Needless to say I will never go back to a Windows OS. Everything is so user friendly and simple on a mac.

Like TomPPL said, nothing out there compares to an iPhone, AT&T has really made some cheddar (and still is) by managing to get apple to sign with them. I feel sorry for all my friends who are stuck on verizon plans because they all want iPhones haha.

I personally don't know much about the iPad, but I have heard that many people are implementing them into their professions (doctors, hospital staff, news organizations, small businesses, etc.)

Ok, Im done sounding like an Apple sales rep. Oh and by the way here is the link to their official websi..... just kidding! :D

Snowman

Don,t listen to these Scammers, we am willing to do a full evaluation for another VR member Free.

Please Have shipped direct to us with return postage, when it has passed our flight test procedure (this usually takes 2\3 years) it will be returned with thanks

Not sure about the glare, don't have it yet. I have seen anti-glare screen covers.

I'm in the process of evaluating the ipad for an article in RPM. A few points I'd like to make; the glare issue is solved by putting the protective overlay on the screen (I suggest you do this regardless). The GPS functions very well. Needs a mount, too big for placing on your knee.

There are a few apps out there that are absolutely awesome. Foreflight's Mobile HD is simply the best "personal" EFB I've seen yet. The only thing it lacks is a logbook. You can get updated weather, radar picture, notams, freqs, diagrams, charts, approach plates, all on the fly. This thing should eliminate 90%, or more of the paper you need in the aircraft. Aerocharts is another cool app, but not quite as functional as Foreflight. Great GPS interface, actually depicts airspace, to include restricted areas. I'm hopeful that the OEM's will see the value in making their manuals available via the bookstore, with updates.

The ipad is going to be a very interesting new tool in aircraft. The applications are only now beginning to be developed and from what I've been hearing we are going to see some pretty useful, affordable, functionality. Of course, the naysayers will chime in with a few issues, one of which will be how to power it once the battery gets low. But, that too will be solved in time.

I'm in the process of evaluating the ipad for an article in RPM. A few points I'd like to make; the glare issue is solved by putting the protective overlay on the screen (I suggest you do this regardless). The GPS functions very well. Needs a mount, too big for placing on your knee.

There are a few apps out there that are absolutely awesome. Foreflight's Mobile HD is simply the best "personal" EFB I've seen yet. The only thing it lacks is a logbook. You can get updated weather, radar picture, notams, freqs, diagrams, charts, approach plates, all on the fly. This thing should eliminate 90%, or more of the paper you need in the aircraft. Aerocharts is another cool app, but not quite as functional as Foreflight. Great GPS interface, actually depicts airspace, to include restricted areas. I'm hopeful that the OEM's will see the value in making their manuals available via the bookstore, with updates.

The ipad is going to be a very interesting new tool in aircraft. The applications are only now beginning to be developed and from what I've been hearing we are going to see some pretty useful, affordable, functionality. Of course, the naysayers will chime in with a few issues, one of which will be how to power it once the battery gets low. But, that too will be solved in time.

Hey RPM, thanks for the information. I've been wondering about the possible aviation uses for the iPad ever since I first heard about it. My wife has an iPhone and after playing with it a little, I decided it was too small to be useful in the cockpit. The iPad sounds very promising for aviation use, but maybe it's a bit too big? Generally, when I fly, the co-pilot seat is my desk, but when I drop a chart on the deck next to the collective, I just pick it up. I wouldn't want to drop a $700 iPad on the deck...especially if it takes a bounce or two and ends up down in the co-pilot pedals.

If it doesn't fit on your thigh, how are you using it?

Hey RPM, thanks for the information. I've been wondering about the possible aviation uses for the iPad ever since I first heard about it. My wife has an iPhone and after playing with it a little, I decided it was too small to be useful in the cockpit. The iPad sounds very promising for aviation use, but maybe it's a bit too big? Generally, when I fly, the co-pilot seat is my desk, but when I drop a chart on the deck next to the collective, I just pick it up. I wouldn't want to drop a $700 iPad on the deck...especially if it takes a bounce or two and ends up down in the co-pilot pedals.

If it doesn't fit on your thigh, how are you using it?

My ipad has a rubber case which seems to keep me from marring it up. Of course, it is a concern considering the price tag. But, I'm fairly sure someone will come up with a good case or storage option for helicopters. I'm also hoping the FCC and FAA get together soon and resolve the "cellphone in flight issue". Technically the ipad is not a phone and some may consider it "carry on" equipment, but I'm afraid the feds will think differently, they usually do.

Good information, I'm also curious how popular it will become as an EFB. The screen was one concern, but if that anti-glare screen protector works that good then maybe it's OK. Another concern I think I read somewhere was that the device had a tendency to get pretty warm when used in hot temperatures and even shut down. If used in the cockpit in the heat of an Arizona/Florida summer I wonder if that could be an issue. I guess even without using it in the cockpit I'm starting to think it would be pretty neat to have for flight planning, sectionals, IAP's, weather, logbook, etc.

I found and used this anti-glare film on my ipod touch and it worked fantastic. I ordered it for my iPad and its just as awesome for visibility, ease of putting on and screen protection.

Also someone mentioned about the power issue. I have also purchased a small batter pack (smaller than a pack of cards) that will run the ipad after the internal battery is discharged. I have yet to use it since I get over 8 hours on the iPad.

Here is the link to the screen protectors:

iPad Screen Protectors

My ipad has a rubber case which seems to keep me from marring it up. Of course, it is a concern considering the price tag. But, I'm fairly sure someone will come up with a good case or storage option for helicopters. I'm also hoping the FCC and FAA get together soon and resolve the "cellphone in flight issue". Technically the ipad is not a phone and some may consider it "carry on" equipment, but I'm afraid the feds will think differently, they usually do.

Your rubber case sounds like something my wife has on her iPod - a kind of cocoon that's open in front for access to the screen?

So, do you just set the iPad on the seat next to you?

I don't see how using an iPad in the cockpit is any different than using a PDA or MFD, especially if 3G and wireless aren't enabled.

Your rubber case sounds like something my wife has on her iPod - a kind of cocoon that's open in front for access to the screen?

I have an otterbox for my iphone. It protects against everything but water immersion. Hopefully they'll make one for the Ipad and the durability issue will be solved. It is expensive but makes my phone bombproof.

otterbox_defender_iphone.jpg

Here is a link to a mount for the Ipad.

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049051056045065080056085/Default.aspx

I guess we will see in time how useful it will be.

I have a Garmin 696 mounted over my knees in the R44. Great setup and functionality. But I paid $3,000 for the 696. The iPad is under $1,000 and from what I can tell, the hardware would be capable of doing everything the 696 can do!

All we need is someone to write the apps.

Imagine being able to mount something that inexpensive to take the place of those other expensive gadgets.

• Like 1

I think we're all forgetting two very important things... Think of all the music we could jam to while flying!!!! And we could surf the web while on boring flights! :lol:

hey - My 696 has XM music....but alas...no web surfing that I have found!!

I don't see how using an iPad in the cockpit is any different than using a PDA or MFD, especially if 3G and wireless aren't enabled.

I use a leather "messenger" type bag as my flight bag. Have a pocket just the right size, ipad slips right in and it's within easy reach when I need to get to it. I should add that the Foreflight software allows you to download charts, approach plates you may need, so you won't be "breaking" any FCC/FAR rules.