Flight Physical

Hey guys,

I had a couple of questions about the flight physical that I haven't seen answered elsewhere.

1) Will you find out before leaving the physical whether or not your vision qualifies? Similarly, will you be told immediately about anything that disqualifies you, or do the results get sent elsewhere to be judged?

2) What types of physical tests (specifically lower body tests) do you perform at the flight physical? I ask because I recently injured my ankle and toe, and am simply waiting for them to be 100% before taking the physical. This is the only thing holding me back right now and it is EXTREMELY frustrating! So if they were not put through any extreme tests, I could take it right now.

Thanks for the help!

Micah

The vision results will be known before you leave from the physical. If there is anything during the test that you fail, you should be given a chance to retake that part of the test again. If you have some type of condition that prevents you from completing a part of the test, you will probably be disqualified and the doc will notify you of it. Some conditions are waiverable, some are not.

As far as a lower body physical test goes, at the maximum maybe bending of the legs, movement of the foot etc just to show simple ability to move your extremities. Been about a year since I had a flight physical through the military, but that is about all I could possibly think of that may happen during a physical with anybody. Good luck!

I didn't have any of this for my flight physical but if you're just coming into the military, you may have to do the duck walk and similar things. Basically, just squat down to where your butt is between your ankles and walk forward. I't been a while but I think that's all I had to do when I first came in.

Blake

• 4 weeks later...

New question!

Took the physical and there were no strenuous leg activities involved.

I got the results today and am disqualified due to my crotch height not meeting the requirements. I was told I can to an in-cockpit evaluation and get a waiver, however, I would like to get remeasured first. My measurements were taken at a UTC clinic in my town rather than at Ft. Knox where the rest of the flight physical took place, because that is where my recruiter thought I had to take them. When I went back to Ft. Knox for the 2nd part of the physical, the flight surgeon told me that they do the measurements there, but he accepted the UTC measurements anyways. The problem is that my measurements were taken with my pants on and thus not nearly accurate. I just measured myself and am easily a good 3 to 6 centimeters over the 75 needed. I plan on calling and asking the flight surgeon tomorrow if it is possible to get remeasured, but I thought I would ask here first to get a reference. Does anybody know if re-measurements are possible? Thanks.

Micah

(Man, this process is just one hurdle after another!!)

...The problem is that my measurements were taken with my pants on and thus not nearly accurate...

Much like with weight issues, we don't fly naked :blink: , so cloths usually count.

You never know though, so good luck anyway. ;)

I sat in a Cobra once,... and man it was cramped, and I'm only 5'11"!

Much like with weight issues, we don't fly naked :blink: , so cloths usually count.

You never know though, so good luck anyway. ;)

I sat in a Cobra once,... and man it was cramped, and I'm only 5'11"!

Ah, good point. Yea, I wasn't sure how they do it at the flight physical. However, I believe they are supposed to make "light contact" with the perineum, which my nurse never did. She just kind of guessed on the front of my jeans. Thanks for the response.

Micah

https://aamaweb.usaama.rucker.amedd.army.mil/aamaweb/policyltrs/Temp-ref_packet_4v1.pdf

No idea if this is outdated but it references "crotch height," etc. for those that are curious as to what he is talking about. Not gonna lie...I was

If that document is any indication of what the proper measurement procedure is, it seems they did it wrong... I would get a second evaluation if that is at all possible.

I failed my first physical. I had trouble focusing though a tube for the NVGs. I took the test over with some sleep and passed it no problems. First fail isn't the end of the world, although I thought it was. Hang in there. They can be picky, but once you know what you need to work on it's all down hill from there.

Thanks for the info and encouragement guys. I called the flight clinic at Ft. Knox today and they said I could come in to get more "official" measurements. Unfortunately, due to conflicting schedules, I will not be able to do it for another two weeks! I'm confident I will be over the 75 cm minimum though. I mean I'm 5'8," I didn't think I was THAT short! :blink:

Micah

Just wondering....does anyone know if you are allowed to request a certain color vision test? I have taken the plates, lantern, and D-15. I'm 50/50 on the plates and no luck on the lantern test but my local doctor offered me the D-15 to get a better idea of how "bad" my color vision was and said I passed it with no errors. So my question is can I "choose" the type of color vision test I take for my flight physical or am I restricted to the plates and lantern. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got my measurements retaken and passed(barely)!

Next steps: collect LORs and obtain secret security clearance. This process is nothing but hurdle after hurdle. If I ever make it in, it will be by the skin of my teeth.

Not sure about the color vision test. When I went, they flipped through a color vision test booklet and I had to answer them all.

Micah

Next steps: collect LORs and obtain secret security clearance. This process is nothing but hurdle after hurdle. If I ever make it in, it will be by the skin of my teeth.

Not sure about the color vision test. When I went, they flipped through a color vision test booklet and I had to answer them all.

Micah

Good luck. Though it may not seem like it to you, you're flyin' through the process.

Lindsey,

Haha. Thanks. You're right though, it sure doesn't feel like it. I started working on the packet with my recruiter back in February, but had chosen to do WOFT well over a year ago.

How is your progress coming along? Still waiting for the 6th month eye evaluation?

Micah

Do you have to get your secret clearance before the board, or just an interim?

Obviously I have not been there yet, but until someone else answers with more definite information, I will just say that I have heard multiple times that you just need your interim.

Lindsey,

Haha. Thanks. You're right though, it sure doesn't feel like it. I started working on the packet with my recruiter back in February, but had chosen to do WOFT well over a year ago.

How is your progress coming along? Still waiting for the 6th month eye evaluation?

MEPS on Tuesday. Just got back from my recruiter's office.

Hopefully things will start happening more quickly...damn I need to go work out.