Private rating check ride - what did you spend, time and/or dollar-wise?

Hey guys,

I'm starting to get a bit (maybe more) concerned with cost and curious to get a 'polling' of sorts as to what others that've been there-done that ended up spending. I don't mean to pry but it would be helpful to actually see some real world figures v. from the horse's mouth. ...The hours or timeline around passing the check ride would also really help.

Ultimately I'm sure I'll just have to buck up and bite the bullet but hoping this could help me go out peacefully. Being able to hear a response-based comparison or trend to widdle a couple of average/mean numbers from will help do it.

--All things teaching/learning being equal. --All aircraft being equal, 22/S300/Enstrom/whatever

I'll start.

I'm about 40hrs in on a Private rating, flying a 22. I started a about 3.5 months ago. I spent (I'll let ya know)

Thanks guys!!

Nick

In Florida my checkride was $550 for the Private @1.3 hours in the aircraft for the ride. I did my checkride at 50 hours but that was with 100 fixed wing hours. Did all my private in a R44 at $300 hr solo, $340 dual so just around 17,000.

I spent about 18k and I think I took my ride around 72 hours. Don't worry, you've got 200 hours to burn. If you're at 100-120 hours TT and still don't have a pilot certificate, THEN I'd worry.

In Florida my checkride was $550 for the Private @1.3 hours in the aircraft for the ride. I did my checkride at 50 hours but that was with 100 fixed wing hours. Did all my private in a R44 at $300 hr solo, $340 dual so just around 17,000.

Wow. $340/hr dual in the 44? I'm not sure how long ago that was but our rate is $440/hr. Ouch.

Just realized this is double posted but makes more sense here in Training. In 2007 in the Northwest, 63hrs over 6mo, R22, $14k. I'd expect to pay closer to $16k at the same place today.

I'm already in $14k and sitting at 40 hours - which if considering, say ~80 hrs at time of check ride, well, the math becomes a concern to say the least... Eeek.

A major factor in the time and expense depends on how often you can train. Full time or 2-3 flights a week should get you done in 3-4 months at 40-50 hours. The price is all dependent on the flight school.

That's just my opinion based on my personal experience.

Wow. $340/hr dual in the 44? I'm not sure how long ago that was but our rate is $440/hr. Ouch.

$400-$440 is not unusual for an R44 plus instructor if needed. There are some better deals out there now and then, like when a ship has a lot of hours left but almost at the end of its 12 year life.

Yea It is still the same price as of today, good deal, no 22's close either so I couldn't pass it up, sure love me a 44. It's a 25 hour block price but if you are going to do the time...just have to search around.

Yeah the r44 goes for $300/hr (wet, dual) 25hr block price and $350 otherwise where I was also. The ships are super clean with low time and coming up on 12yrs, like Goldy mentioned, hence the bargain. That coupled with instrument r22s is a pretty good $$ saver. I got out with a little over 200hrs, 0-CFII, for just over $50k.

Yeah the r44 goes for $300/hr (wet, dual) 25hr block price and $350 otherwise where I was also. The ships are super clean with low time and coming up on 12yrs, like Goldy mentioned, hence the bargain. That coupled with instrument r22s is a pretty good $$ saver. I got out with a little over 200hrs, 0-CFII, for just over $50k.

Wow thats great! Where was this at?

I got my Private in just over 40 hours helicopter 37 current helicopter flying hours had a flight here or there over the years and finally decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I have just over 100 hours fixed wing time I am told that it is really odd for someone to finish training with this low of hours even having other types of flying experience I also took the money and just tried to do the training as fast as I could 3 hours to private in 2 and a half weeks I'm a field mechanic for a helicopter company so I have a break schedule and I was able to come home on a break and just get everything done I flew at Jerry Trimble helicopters in mcminnville Oregon great place to fly I would love to do the rest of my training there but I have the GI bill so I need to go to a 141 school the rates were 184 an hour solo and add $30 for dual the FAA examiner was $600 I paid just over $8,500 for everything but this is not the norm

I used the GI Bill to get my PVT, I think it was around 20-22K for upper 50s lover 60s and that includes the checkride (all of my training was 141). Ended up having to fly more than was expected (was put up for stage 3 at 53ish hours). That being said, the school I'm at is on the high side for average costs.

Getting the private rating done between $9k - $12, or even $15k ...just baffles me. :blink:

Let me assist.

Let's say, just for ballpark numbers $200 an hour solo, $250 dual.

30 hours dual @250

10 hours solo @200

This puts you at $9500

Add $150 for written test, $100 for books, and the total is still under $10,000

This leaves enough room for 10 more hours of dual, checkride price, new Bose headset, new pair of aviators, kneeboard, and enough money for a keg and strippers for the post checkride party and still be under $15,000

• Like 3

This leaves enough room for 10 more hours of dual, checkride price, new Bose headset, new pair of aviators, kneeboard, and enough money for a keg and strippers for the post checkride party and still be under $15,000

Now that sounds like a plan! B)

Let's say, just for ballpark numbers $200 an hour solo, $250 dual

And to think I've been paying $260/hr just to rent (and that's down from the $275 I was paying at the previous place)!

No strippers for Butters? :unsure: :o :rolleyes:

Today, the flight schools offer such a wide range of programs and accompanying price ranges, its difficult to estimate the final cost of a Private Certificate. Especially, with these VA programs which appear to be excessively high in hours, and dollar per-hour rates.

With that, Id say;

40 hours is the goal.

50 hours should be considered average.

60 hours is excessive but not alarming.

70 hours indicates a problem and a conversation with the CP needs to happen.

80 hours indicates training should cease and a conversation with the owner is appropriate.

90 hours something is flat out wrong and reconsideration is necessary.

100 hours flying a helicopter is not for you.

Considering the above, the target for full-time training would be 25 to 30 hours a month.

Edited by Spike
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at 45 hrs with these guys in the 22/44's. The stage check instructor seems to fly more textbook perfect while the check ride instructor thinks a bit more out of the box from what I can tell. Both are solid pilots through/through, but to me: red flag. Coupled with 45 hrs and not having taken the stage 2 check(!)...I know it's not that flying isn't my thing, I'm at least (emphasis) average. I can't help but think I'm getting soaked. I say it because instructor meetings had been touching on the fact that they'd like to start trying to see students get through PVT by 70 hrs and were thinking I might be the first!?

Question remains then (or maybe doesn't at this point): assuming the above true, is tis school a joke/too much so for-profit? I think I might go with my gut and move somewhere fly the Schweizer through instrument - then finish commercial back in a 22...

Anyway, this has been great feedback so far!!

Do you have a copy of your syllabus?

You should have your completion standards clearly listed there. That should be what your instructors are using to compare you against.

Part of the instructor/student relationship should be trust. If you have concerns, bring your sillabus with you and have your instructor explain in their opinion what part or parts of the standards that they feel that you need more work on. That might be a very enlightening experience.

If you think that you are being milked for hours, one option might be to go to another school and get a second opinion about the level of your skills.

I definitely plan to do that soon - problem is Idaho doesn't have many more than the one, so I'm thinking of heading down to Henderson NV or an Oregon school (winter weather on the coast is the only concern with training there) and getting up flying for a couple of days like you mention.

My CFI I trust completely and have a lot of respect for. He's a great pilot, really, but I was his first full time student and I think he wants to be sure I do well. Problem is potentially that he might want for/expect of me to perform at the ~100-125 hr average skill level when in reality I think that'll take me 75-100 hr to attain. I think it is a good school (I think) but its hard to get over the feeling of being lead to believe that $16-18k was about average to complete the PVT rating and currently at the tune of about $17k and nearing end of stage 2. I guess I'm to blame at the negligence level to be fair, but ~$20k is what I had saved up to make it prior to having to go for a loan...bummer knowing full well that that part was made clear, thought to be understood, and generally reassured multiple times. And now I'm taking downtime after just having begun transitions into 90/180 autos; not sure I could've picked worse time if I tried. I've just can't break that habit of learning the hard way I guess!

Thanks Pohi - I'll make it a priority to grab a second opinion and get a feel for another outfit's operations as soon as I can.

-n

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a rough time, hopefully there is a good reason why things are delayed. An instructors first student can be a little stressful.

It's been cold and windy here in Vegas, but no snow so that's a bonus. Which school were you looking at in Henderson?

Thanks, but oh well what can you do. I didnt realize you were down there. The weather is pretty attractive there! I was looking at Vegas Air Service, which I just saw is actually in Boulder City...I like that they have both Schweizer and Robinson ships.

Are there any in the area that I may not have seen or that you think I might also want to consider?

Thanks again!