how valuable is this experience?

ill keep it short sweet and to the point here: would an employer look at cherry drying time in a dinosaur of a helicopter such as a S-55 / S58 ect. more valuable than Robbie driving or ferrying a turbine? why or why not?

Generally, most operators don't care too much that you did cherries, specifically. But it can't hurt. It shows that you're willing to "pay your dues" and find work where it's available. No one gives two craps if you have zero or > 10 hours of turbine. Hell, I might even say > 100. If you can fly and start an old radial 55/58, you can fly a turbine. They will care more about your attitude, meaning how much you want to learn, how smooth you are, and how well you deal with customers.

In any case, tell Dave and Dan I said hi!! ;)

ill keep it short sweet and to the point here: would an employer look at cherry drying time in a dinosaur of a helicopter such as a S-55 / S58 ect. more valuable than Robbie driving or ferrying a turbine? why or why not?

Before this thread implodes, I’ll ask. “What” employer or, what “type” of employer are you suggesting cuz if it’s an operator who operates an S55/58 who conducts cherry drying, then yes, previous S55/58 drying experience would be viewed as more valuable…….

Plus, what is your definition of “Robbie driving”?

Ferrying a turbine is only valuable if it’s free. Otherwise, you should be paid to do it…….

Robbie driving: instruction

and any other job besides cherry drying or instruction, such as tours or hook swinging operators.

and all the turbine ferrying has been free thank goodness :)

FauxZ: no Dave here and Dan has been gone for a few weeks now...sorry :P

What are your other options? If you have other job choices, they might be better for building time and possibly better pay(I say this only because you might fly more). I don't know how that operation pays but I do know that cherries aren't typically big time builders. You could get lucky and have a good rainy season though. If you don't have any other options the go dry some cherries. It's better then a blank spot on the resume. If you do have other options then it depends what they are.

In my opinion/experience, hands down, flight instruction will be viewed as more valuable.

Why? Flight Instructors repetitively teach different maneuvers day-in-and-day-out, including emergency procedures. Plus, CFI’s are responsible for the student i.e. another human being who in theory, is trying to kill them….. Employers I’ve come across value this experience….

Well its medium sized helicopter time in a wire environment. It can't hurt, but then again out side of where you are who else operates those machines? Then there is nothing wrong with getting to fly radial engined aircraft. Not many get to fly one these days. Enjoy it for what it is, and getting a pay check besides. Not a bad deal in this tough economy.

I dried last year, and, I'm drying this year. It didn't do much for my resume but, get me called crazy a couple times and, added more PIC time. The low, slow, wires, houses, fruit pickers, rain, wind, lots & lots of wind, has made me a better pilot tho. I'm not getting rich, but, I'm flying & we've had lots of rain this season. If you can get a job instructing, take it !!!

• Like 2

I dried last year, and, I'm drying this year. It didn't do much for my resume but, get me called crazy a couple times and, added more PIC time. The low, slow, wires, houses, fruit pickers, rain, wind, lots & lots of wind, has made me a better pilot tho. I'm not getting rich, but, I'm flying & we've had lots of rain this season. If you can get a job instructing, take it !!!

Lots of rain this year, that figures! I was supposed to be up there myself, but well,...sh*t happens! Damn!

I got about a week of drying in this year (our contract pilot bailed for a tour job and I had to fill in). Didn't do anything for my paycheck or my logbook, but I did get some valuable experience doing "work" other than instructing. Flying in those winds sure taught me a lot! That's for sure! And watching those wires literally popping in and out of sight right in front of me (depending on lighting conditions) sure was a wake-up call on how easy it can be to lose them if you are not completely alert to their position at all times. I would say, a very valuable experience. But is it going to set me apart from my peers farther on down the line? Probably not unless I am applying for an Ag job.

thanks for all the input. i do agree that it has opened my eyes to the "commercial world". i enjoy flying the beasts and being in the HV curve as much as that sounds crazy. for anyone considering it, my personal opinion is it is valuable experience. i had a dual Tach failure today, and i could just imagine how a fresh comm. pilot with 150 hrs would totally freak out at the situation not having a governor. flying a helicopter that isn't shiny new off the factory floor has shown me that a issue like this isnt a huge deal. just stay calm listen to what the ol girl is telling you and set her down in a calm manner. i do feal that the situations this job has put me in is molding me into a better airman. and in the long run that will help my career.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you actually flying the S58 or are you tagging along with the pilot/owner so he can stay awake? It would be fun. heck, Id do it. But I don't know that I would do it over anything where I am the sole PIC making my own decisions. There really is no "Cherry Drying" section in the regs. But there is X-Ctry, Night, IFR currency. Anything you can use to work your way towards getting the basics built up should take precedent over hovering. But if your sitting around with nothing to do and it comes up, sure....do it. An hour is an hour.

• 1 month later...

it was at first but you get used to it really quick. setting them down its like being in a 15 ft hover in an R22....and thinking "ok im still up here a ways" THUMP!..."hmm that must have been the ground" :P

it was prety awesome flying them, i listened to alot of CCR and Die Walkure just for the nostalgia .only thing i didnt like about them is the greasing after every flight...oh the greasing! 65 grease zerts every flight...gets prety messy

it was prety awesome flying them, i listened to alot of CCR and Die Walkure just for the nostalgia .only thing i didnt like about them is the greasing after every flight...oh the greasing! 65 grease zerts every flight...gets prety messy

Sounds like a CH-53D.