WOFTApp Intro / Progress

Remember, its just your packet at rucker to get accepted so its gonna need all it can get to be competitive

This is exactly why I got all 6 LoRs. Why settle for the minimum? If I want to stand out, might as well do the max on everything possible. I can't imagine thinking, hey, the GT cutoff is 110, I hope thats what I get.

I am doing the same for the resume. The one I put in the package is my own format. I was better able to highlight my "selling" points.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys at Rucker. I read that one must pass a basic swim test as part of Dunker training. I am not what you would call a fish. Any insight on what the swim requirements are? I have implemented swim training into my workout and just need to know what the goal is. Thanks!

You jump in the water in a flight suit, boots, and a helmet, and you have to tread water for a bit of time, and then swim the whole outside of the pool.

There is remedial swim training if you have issues.

And you can do remedial swimming for weeks if you have to. There is remedial dunker if you fail that as well. I passed the swim test but failed my first time through dunker. The remedial training is actually pretty fun, and the people that run dunker are cool.

Lots of people had trouble with the swim portion, and there were guys who had never really swam before, but everyone made it eventually.

Sounds like a lot of fun, swimming in flight gear! WooHoo! Hopefully I can stay out of remedial training by working on it now. The dunker videos look pretty fun. How does one fail and how is that avoided?

I did "remedial" training for a week. It is not viewed as a failure or looked on with a negative light. The simple fact is, some people are not comfortable underwater with breathing devices. I AM a strong swimmer but had trouble with the breathing device (compressed air) and navigating underwater with blind out goggles on.

Dunker training is a pass now/or pass later deal. Meaning you are required to have it completed prior to flying. There are individuals that go through remedial training for 3-4 weeks prior to passing (guy couldn't swim at all, staff had to teach him). So worst case scenario, it just slows you down.

It DOESN'T affect your OML and I have never heard of anyone going home or getting the boot for not being able to make it through.

Sorry, my previous post was not worded the way I intended to convey my question. I am trying to get a grasp on what is to come. I am not worried about pass/fail or OML. I am asking questions to know how to prepare to become a competent aviator. If I have idea of what the training is focused on I can begin learning now, which in the end will give me more time to focus on the areas I cannot prepare in advance for.

Thanks for the help. I know I have weaknesses in the water and I am working to expand my "comfort zone." Personally, I like to breathe, so not breathing has a tendency to make me nervous. My will to survive overpowers my brain and forces me to surface when I try to swim underwater for very long. Knowing what is coming gives me an idea of what to correct in my head.

I'm not worried about Dunker as much as I am worried about SERE, is SERE a pass now or pass later deal? How does SERE school work has anyone gotten dropped from the Army not passing SERE?

My neighbor in flight school quit SERE and became a civilian. It is nearly impossible to fail SERE withou quitting. 99% of people get through it fine. At some point most everyone will have a moment in SERE when their brain says "Why are you doing this? You don't need this #%!$." Don't listen to your brain, your brain is stupid.

• Like 1

I was told you sign a non disclosure agreement there and also that is why you must have a clearance (at least an interim) to even apply for WOFT. Supposedly, it changes so often what you may hear now could be completely different when you go.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a while:

Did an APFT retest: 290

PU - 80 (in 1:15)

SU - 73

Run - 13:02

My packet is complete and going to the battalion today.

My recruiter is trying to get my battalion interview scheduled ASAP.

• Like 3

I can honestly say I have no idea how the board schedules work.

We have been working towards the last message of a Sept 4 cutoff Sept 10 board. Now, I was just informed the cutoff is Sept 14 with a Sept 21 board and they working on getting the battalion board scheduled for me.

It sounds as if the Sept 21 date is a USAREC date. I don't know! Who's on first!

Just got off the phone with my recruiter. The Sept 21 date is the battalion board. Then next USAREC board I will be eligible for is in Nov. He got this from the Sergeant Major in his battalion who is over the WOFT process. Apparently the SIFT is not going to affect us civs like it does the AD guys.