Frozone's progress

Wow, what a wealth of information here! I first want to take the time to say thanks to those who have provided the knowledge and information on here and to those who have documented their journey to WOCS.

A little information about me, I have always dreamed of flying, but the family business absorbed me and I became pretty much complacent. I've found out the hard way that while the pay is great and the job has a lot of perks, I'm not satisfied, and have often regretted my decision (even though I manage a section of the business and have watched it grow tremendously). Every time I see a service member around, I often am very appreciative of their dedication and service for my freedom, and wish I could in some how also contribute. I've have now finally made that decision, and I'm ready to apply for WOCS, to pursue my dream of being a pilot.

I have a family... Been married for almost 6 years, and have two beautiful kids. One is turning 4, the other just turned 1. Being surrounded by cousins and other family members who have been in the military, I'm aware of the difficulties that are associated with being in the service, but my wife and kids are on board and are fully supporting me in this endeavor.

I do not have a college degree, but have accumulated approximately 60 credits while attending some college. I wish I would have finished the degree, but was going through an unresponsible time in my life and chose the easy route... Chose not to continue college and work for the family business.

As for my physical abilities... Well let's say they are not what they once were. I played soccer in middle school, show choir in high school, hockey in college, and some pick up games of football. Im not fat or heavy by any means, but I'm at 160 lbs. and my wife is satisfied with what I've become. For the longest time (all through high school and college) I couldn't break 130-135, but I guess getting married will do that to ya ;-) I have a Cannondale bicycle I have logged almost 600-700 miles on this year (a lot of 20-50 mile rides), but yet when running, find myself gasping for air... I have a lot of training to do and just started earlier this week with my regimen. So hopefully over the next month or until I take my APFT, I'll achieve the scores I'm looking to obtain for WOCS.

Being surrounded by family members in the military has had its benefits. Both of my grandfathers were military, a couple of cousins are Marines, and a few in the Army. My cousin's best friend has flown Blackhawks for years and is now training for the Apache. One of my other cousins married an Army Career Counselor and after my talk with him a few days ago, he can put me in contact with the right people to help put my packet together. As for my letters of recommendation, my wife worked for our county Veterans Service Officer who most likely will find time to write a letter, I have a mentor from church who was an E-8 in the Air Force, I have an acquaintance who is a Command Sgt. Maj., and a good friend who is a First Sergeant.

Kind of lengthy introduction, but I look forward to keeping up to date on this forum, providing insight and hope to those who apply for WOCS in the future. I also look forward to following those who precede me.

They might give you a hard time for not having flight time or a degree yet. Stay persistent with them. We have basically the same stats so far... Check out my other thread on my progress so you can be informed of my headache thus far.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I've done some leg work, have a sample packet (which seems old), but oh well... Anyways, I saw somewhere on this website a link to everything I would need to submit my packet to USAREC, but I can't find it anywhere. Is it everything in the downloads section of USAREC's site, or is there more? I just want to make sure I fill out everything I need. Thank you!

Yamer - Staying persistent to get over this hurdle. I've been working on my physical standards, and reviewing for the ASVAB seeing how it's been 10 years since I've been out of school.

I would suggest finding a recruiter that has worked on a WOFT packet before. There is very little of the paperwork on the USAREC webpage that you actually have to fill. My recruiter took care of getting it filled out with the information i supplied. Start there...a good recruiter will make a big difference in my opinion.

I second Av8r's suggestion. The knowledge and commitment levels of your recruiter are going to make a massive difference.

I lucked out - the recruiter who picked up the phone the day I called just happened to be an incredibly squared-away Soldier who knew what had to be done and believed wholeheartedly in my chances. His dedication to my cause and his willingness to work much harder than required for an Enlisted-grade package made all the difference. I literally owe the man my career.

Make sure you choose your recruiter wisely, is what I'm saying.

~V

• Like 1

And don't feel bad about asking the recruiter if they have worked on a WOFT packet before, just be respectful. the first time i met with my recruiter, i think he was trying to size me up a little, to get a feeling for how serious i was about this.

Go in and be confident of what you want to do and that will say a lot to the recruiter i think. Good luck.

Also, in case you haven't found this already, the USAREC page for civilian applicants is here:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml

Thanks for the link! I just got back from the recruiter, and kind of got the impression he wasn't willing to do the WO packet... He kept telling me he'd have to refresh up on the packet stuff, and the last guy he talked to about it (who was 18 & had fixed wing hours) didn't even get picked... Kept trying to talk to me about enlisting.

When I also mentioned my vision having uncorrected acuities of 20/100 in each eye (corrected 20/20), he immediately went, you won't get in as a pilot...

He's gonna call back tomorrow evening to check up on me and my decision, but I know my wife won't want me to enlist unless I enter into the WOCS...

Any suggestions about the eye issues? I know there's PRK, but as a civilian... I don't have that to spare right now. For some reason I thought my eyes would pass the physical...

You need 20/50 uncorrected in each eye. You can either get PRK/Lasik or give it a try as is, squint really hard, and give the 20/50 line your best shot (Should be the 4th line down with 4 letters). Most eye examiners will let you make a few mistakes on it before telling you to read a different line.

WOFTApp - There was a "Server Error/File Not Found" with that link... Did you post the correct link?

D10 - That shouldn't be too bad. I guess I'll find out when I get to MEPS...

Lets say I get picked up for WOCS, can I have PRK surgery done immediately when going off for basic so by the time I hit flight school, my eyes should be back to perfect?

Lets say I get picked up for WOCS, can I have PRK surgery done immediately when going off for basic so by the time I hit flight school, my eyes should be back to perfect?

Yea pretty sure that would never happen. You would have to get it done now, then wait six months and have the army check them.

Actually, since you are just getting started it won't set you back too far. I have been working on my packet since May and will not be on a board until Nov. The process is long. If you knock out the surgery now then start working on your packet you will be squared away in no time. You'll be surprised how quickly six months go by while you are getting everything else done you can.

Giant wheels turn slowly.

Each step by itself is not long. Getting everyone lined up and on the same schedule is what takes so long. For example: getting letters of recommend - identify 3-6 people you want to write your letters. Ask them, some may require an interview, i.e. a CW4 pilot you don't know. Give them time to write it and then send it in. This whole process can take over a month.

Take a look at the link av8rnik posted and you will get an idea this whole process takes a while. It has taken me almost 5 months to get a complete packet, and that is pushing hard the whole way. Plus I didn't have to fool with the SF86 and security clearence parts since I previously had these.

If not already, start busting your butt to get the best APFT score you can. This you cannot cram for, months of prep are required to get competetive scores.

Agreed. Along with the time it takes to get stuff done that you can work on (LOR's, studying for AFAST/SIFT), things move at the pace the Army wants to move. That has been my experience anyway. You can't rush getting things scheduled. Where I did my flight physical, they only do them on certain days, same with the AFAST. That is another reason why having a good recruiter matters, they can help manage all of those things. I think I have been working on my packet since late April and planning to get in the Sept USAREC.

If you aren't a patient person already, you will either learn to be one or you will not get through the application. Again, just what I think from my experience so far.

• Like 1

Haha, ok, well I'm feeling more optimistic now about the eye surgery and having time. I'm a little frustrated that my local recruiter wants to push me into enlisting first, but maybe I'll get lucky and find one not too far away that is willing (and knows) to help me along the way. My cousin has since been transferred to Florida (this week), so getting any more help from him is a bit out of reach. He did have some guys in his office though he might be able to hook me up with to continue the packet.

Now how old are you guys? By the time I finally submit this, I'll probably be 30 (ugh)... I know the cut-off is 33, but honestly, how many get picked up at this age vs. younger candidates?