What are my chances without a college degree ???

Just wondering how much its going to hurt me NOT having a degree.......and does being prior service in aviation really help that much ?

i know everyone asks, so i guess i will too.

What are my chances ????

I understand its anyones guess but wouldn't mind anyone throwing thier thoughts out there.

Here are my stats so far

30yrs old

Prior service- NAVY (E-5) 5 years active duty (aviation background as stated above)

High School - Graduated

College-

UNLV student (Mech. Engineering)

84 credits in my major (110+ credits total which include my stuff from the military and other colleges)

PRK- done by the Navy

LOR(s)- (4 total)

(1) Commander rank O-5 (2) Lt.Commander rank O-4 (1) Chief petty officer retired rank E-7

AFPT- did not complete yet, but i have done a practice test recently...i am probably about a 230 right now, im going to keep working out and will improve on that score a bit.

Almost everyone I know who went street to seat has at least a 4 year degree.

That said, I don't have a degree and I made it. Your chances are as good as you can write an essay, put together a resume, get awesome letters of rec, blow the aptitude test away, blow the ASVAB away, pass the physical, do on the APFT, look good in your DA photo, etc.

Im taking the SIFT next month.....already sent my PRK paper work and that took almost 2 months to get approved, so atleast thats out of the way.

I wonder how much an aviation background helps....i been through a bunch of aviation maintenance courses which are all listed on one of my transcrips so they will see that for sure. I just really want to get accepted and this month all 19 out of 33 people had degrees which is why i was asking.

thanks for the input

Oh by the way.... i have 900+ flight hours as a backseater in the Navy but i doubt they care about that

flyc2a

The last WOFT selection board was held 2 weeks ago. Below are the stats for civilians/prior service applicants.

33 boarded, 19 selected, all but one had either a bachelors or a masters. The other selectee had a 2 yr AS dgree.

Is it possible? Possibly but why swim up stream. Complete the degree with over a 3.0 GPA and then apply if time permitting.

I agree with Lindsey. I don't know why people would not even submit a packet for fear that one thing may not be looked at favorably by the board. Just submit, you get 2 free looks, and if your not selected, keep trucking away at that degree.

• Like 1

Yeah....i am going to apply while finishing my school, which i think will take me 2 more years. Thats puts me at 33.

I personally know of 2 people from las vegas(where i live) that had gotten accepted in jan.2011 without a completed degree(one had 80 college credits, the other had 35 credits) and they didn't have prior service under thier belt.

IMO...that was then, this is now. 2011 was a GREAT year to apply, now were at 2013(fy2013 starts oct 2012) so well see.

I must add that one of my letters is from an 0-5 commander who works in the Pentagon....and my LOR had a header from "DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, pentagon drive address" So i am hoping that my prior service, my college thus far and really GOOD LORs(3 higher ranking Navy officer pilots, and 1 ret. upper enlisted) will put me over the hump.

Some people said, LORs are probably equally as important as college....others disagree. I guess im going to find out pretty soon (dec/jan) either way.

So who is taking the SIFT the first part of OCT ???????