Cross country flight on 9/28, R-44 time $225 per hour Wisconson to Utah or make me an offer

Jeff L.

I am a CFI and will be doing a cross-country flight from Wisconsin to Utah most likely be Friday 9/28 and Saturday 9/29. I am looking for someone that would like to build 44 time.

If you are interested, the price will be $225/hour. Or you can tell me how much you are willing to pay per hour, I have to get the chopper to Utah anyway.

You will get the PIC and cross-country time and maybe some night hours plus high density altitude hours over Colorado and Utah.

It will be roughly 16-20 hours total time. Or if you have a buddy, I'll take the two of you and each of you can split the hours.

You would need to find a way to get to Wisconsin and a way home from Utah. Also you would need to provide for your own food. If we need to stay overnight we could split the cost for a hotel.

If interested, call me @ 435-668-4185

• Like 1

You said the helicopter has to get to Utah... So $225 is a little steep for instruction! How about you charge for your time at a cheaper rate, since once again " the helicopter has to get to Utah anyway". I bet if you lowered the rate you might get some bites... And if somebody does pay that rate there a fool.

You said the helicopter has to get to Utah... So $225 is a little steep for instruction! How about you charge for your time at a cheaper rate, since once again " the helicopter has to get to Utah anyway". I bet if you lowered the rate you might get some bites... And if somebody does pay that rate there a fool.

Why should anyone have to pay for HIS time? He's the one who HAS to get the helicopter there! How about you pay for MY time? I'll only charge 100 bucks a day!

Here's a thought for all of you time builders out there who take these offers. Take that extra $4500 you have just lying around and use it to get your CFI rating in a 300, and say "To Hell" with this building to 200hrs Robbie requirement!

Great advice.

Eagle... That's exactly my point. Pay him a really discounted rate. I have taken former students, friends etc... When I had a long ferry. The last time was from Cali to Montana in a L3. I asked the boss got the blessing. After the second fuel stop had the student starting the aircraft and flying the entire time. I was the navigator, radio tuner. The flight was free for both actually free for me. He bought my lunch and dinner. Got a free ride in the company airplane back home. These people who charge for this type of flight should be shot on site. All this does is drive the industry in the hole! It makes me sick

Previously posted in the "Ferry Flights" area.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:23

To All,

For 25 years on my relocation flights for my employer/private individual bearing the expense of moving a turbine helicopter across the US, here is what I offered.

First I realized that the flight times from South Florida to California, Idaho or British Columbia and back were too valuable to waste by not having an up and coming CFI/CFII fly the routes.

I confirmed who would be flying with me, gave them airframe information for flight planning and all the sectionals and FDs with a suggested route, over night locations, etc. They were told to act as PIC and move the aircraft to the desired location and arrived on the requested date.

Did I charge for the flights in B206, B206L, B407 or EC120? Yes!

The helicopter flight time was FREE. I picked up meals and hotel costs enroute over the three or four days. What I charged for was my Instructor time($25-$100). Those of you that flew with me know that I only flew when you requested a short break. You got to fly 2,000 to 3,500 mile cross country and received a make/model and a RR 250 series or Turbomeca-Arrius transition. Most of you left with a Factory Pilot Transition notebook and a Turbine Transition Course book.

We did not vary from my schedule/route to visit your friends or relatives. You got to start the helicopter, run it up, depart and basically fly as PIC relocating a helo as a mission.

During the summer after the helo was out West but needed a shorter reposition, I would find local CFIs that got to do 4 to 6 hours free.

I felt I should be paid for my Instruction but that I could help develop pilots without gouging them for flight time and just holding onto a stick!

To the original post, $400 is ridiculous and much good advice has been given to not waste this money for "Turbine Time".

Of the 55 pilots that flew with me, so many have benefitted from an opportunity, advanced in many career positions and a few have even already retired.

If I can offer any advice about "Turbine Transitions", it would be to possibly attend a ground school but not pay for costly flight time. Yes, I do offer these ground schools occasionally and I do get paid for them.

Best Wishes,

Mike

Edited by Mikemv, 13 June 2012 - 07:06.

• Like 1

Sounds like some people need to study up a bit on the art of negotiation. Maybe watch a few episodes of "pawn stars", "American pickers", or any of a handful of shows out there. Those will be watered down versions, but it's a taste of what can be done.

Paying for ferry flights, like mini coopers, alcohol free beer, and prostitutes, are not for everybody. There are, however, lots of people who pay for those things, or they would no longer exist.

Can't quote because I'm on my phone but... What sounds better is for you to offer up the flight like this. I have a helicopter flying from wherever to wherever on this date. If you want to go I will charge a daily rate of $50 or heck $100. Im a CFi and the person going can log the time. You pay airfare,food, hotel.

You said so yourself the helicopter is going anyway. You shot yourself in the foot! Its a ferry flight so how much instruction is really going to happen? Maybe a few autos, Hyd off, governor off. So tell me what is the $225 an hr really paying for besides trying to recoup some of the cost of the ferry?

Like Mike said the helicopter time was FREE and he charged a small fee for his instruction heck he even said he picked up meals and hotels! I would bet those pilots who flew with him bought or tried to buy a meal or two. And they got a transition, books and a wealth of knowledge, again tell us what the $225 an hour is gonna pay for? Hopefully you will be flying solo...

Besides that, I'll be posting for a pilot position soon and the person flying with me will have a great opportunity for first in line.

Back to buying a job, are we? Sure you don't work for Boatpix?

I'll tell you what its going to pay for... a little bit of the hobbs time and a little bit of fuel.

Until you own a helicopter company, you may not understand the real cost of flying.

Cry us all a river.

A little bit of hobbs time is right.

You were making the flight anyway. It's your business expense. You're trying to get someone else to pay for it, for you, and now you're doing it under the guise of selling a job.

Other reputable and respectable folks have offered a lot more for a lot less.

You're getting a tax deduction...and making a profit off it. How about that?

Why pay a pilot when you can get one to pay you, right?

Pathetic.

Until you own a helicopter company, you may not understand the real cost of flying.

There are many here who fully understand the real cost of flying without being owners. Just because you own a helicopter company, doesn't necessarily mean you should......

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

There are many here who fully understand the real cost of flying without being owners. Just because you own a helicopter company, doesn't necessarily mean you should......

Haha, you made me spit coffee all over my phone. You are so right on that one, I've met a few people who are the living proof of that statement.

• Like 1

Pretty bold statement there Jeff! I am well aware of the costs associated with flying. If you don't like the costs associated with flying then don't. You sound like somebody who has a little money and think you will make allot of money... Sorry but that's not the case. Like Spike said just because you can doesn't mean you should. So tell us about this wonderful job your going to be offering? I'm dying to hear what it is.

While training at my flight school. I have gained around 25 hours, and flew 4 different helicopters, for free. In that 25 hours I have been able to gain experience doing frost patrol (5-6 hours), formation flying day/night (2-4 helicopters), plenty of off airport landings, and basic cross country ferry flights. Also I was able to be signed off in the R-44 with only paying for 1 hour of flight time.

Take a well deserving student up for some free experience, they will be more than happy. Its just good business. I have volunteered to help load/unload passengers, give passengers briefs etc when my school needed help, I also help clean the helicopters whenever needed. IMO If you treat your students good they will show the same appreciation back.

• Like 3

Jeff,

I have a great offer for you, and I usually don't offer to do this. I will waive my salary/hourly rate and fly your R-44 to Utah for you; and just to sweeten the pot, I will pay for my way up to WI and back from Utah, my hotel room, and my food. This is a great deal! Because when you are good at something you do not do it for free, and as you know, you make investments to make money. This is true whether it be purchasing a helicopter or getting you commercial pilot certificate. In fact, that is why I made the investment to become a commercial pilot (to let someone pay me money to fly not me pay someone to let me fly). Furthuremore, it will only benefit you to let me fly your R-44 to WI. Infact, you will get it done for free and you will not lose revenue on commercial ops due to the aircraft not arriving at its next duty station, because as we all know an aircraft does not make money sitting on the ground. If interested, let me know because this deal want last for long, especially since I get paid (during and after the job training) to bring my current employers equipment back.