So uh...yeah the dunker..

So I was at a buddy of mines house watching football today and literally out of nowhere he just says "Man wait a minute, don't they like dunk a cockpit in the pool with you in it during flight school? How are you gonna do that when your a$$ can't swim lol?"

I kinda never really thought about that until then. I read online that you have to do a pre screen where you tread water with flight gear then swim the length of the pool and do some shallow end drills. But I can't tread water, I can kinda swim while moving but I can't stop lol.

I know they do remedial training for those who can't swim too well but is there a limit on how many chances you get or how much time they will spend trying to teach someone how to swim?

Im pretty sure I could swim out of the mock cockpit, but I can't tread water in just swim trucks, let alone with gear lol.

• Like 1

You will be fine. Or you will take remedial swim training and be fine.

Dont forget the joy of SERE.

I'm not too worried about SERE, I know its psychological and physical hell but after the battlefields of Kandahar Afghanistan I've convinced myself that I can do pretty much anything.

I understand that I will likely be doing remedial swim training. My question is that will they just work with you until you finally get it or is there a time when they give up on you.

I've been trying to learn how to tread water for 25 years. And for some reason no matter who tries to teach me I just simply can't get it lol.

• Like 1

Teaching someone how to tread water over the internet isn't the easiest thing to do. Ill give it a try though, when treading water put your fingers together and pointed straight outward. Then when moving them back in fourth in the water create "positive pitch" with your hands for the direction of travel, therefore you will have to change the "pitch" of your hands each time your going the other way. With your feet just go back in forth with them. Come on guys its basic aerodynamics :D . Once you get good, you can tread water with just your feet/hands.

I've seen people spend months in remedial as well. They get you through the swim test and then get you through dunker. It just might not be a 2 day affair. You don't have to look pretty doing it.

For the treading water portion you can move around and move forward. The dunker people are super cool, too.

We lost about 50% of our class to failing Dunker.

Wait, actually nobody has ever failed flight school because of Dunker. You could be the first.

I know someone from my WOCS class that was eliminated because she couldn't swim at all. She spent two months trying to pass the preliminary swim test. Another warrant from my class spent nearly the same amount of time in remedial training, but he made progress and didn't get recommended for elimination.

I know someone from my WOCS class that was eliminated because she couldn't swim at all. She spent two months trying to pass the preliminary swim test. Another warrant from my class spent nearly the same amount of time in remedial training, but he made progress and didn't get recommended for elimination.

Holy sh*t, could you imagine getting eliminated for that?

Sounds like a good thing. My 8 year old daughter went from not swimming at all to being able to swim in 6 weeks of classes. Frankly, if she can't pass that easy azz swim test after two months I can't imagine her being able to learn to fly in that amount of time.

There are plenty of swim coaches, classes and public pools around....it'd probably be better to take the initiative and strengthen your weakness on your own terms as opposed to doing nothing and hoping they'll walk you through it. Just saying...WOFT is a great opportunity for a select few, I wouldn't jeopardize that for anything. Especially something you know can be improved if you get on it now.

• Like 1

I had never been able to tread water until I went through flight school at rucker. The swim coaches were very helpful and understanding. It took about forty minutes of training to get me to pass the swim test. I actually retained some of the training too. I was able to easily pass a swim test again a couple weeks ago. My whole unit is going through dunker re-qual so I'll actually spend a couple days at rucker in Nov. It is fun as long as you have a good regulator. I swallowed half the pool last time and my wife said my face was literally green when I got home. Yuck. The pool has tons of clorine in it. Your eyes will be burning for a couple days.

• Like 1

It was hi 60s low 40s here when we left, hi 80s and low 70s there. It was awesome and a good time was had by all. Well, except for the few people I saw from my balcony getting pulled out by the rip tide.