Ferry from Medford, Oregon to Miami with ATP, $200/hour

Boatpix

Tom will be at Heli Success with many of his CFIs. You will have a chance to talk to him and them face to face. You may be able to go to dinner with them and many others.

Would someone please ask him why he won't hire a commercial pilot (even if he has more than 300hrs) to do photo flights in an R22 (something countless low time pilots do every day for other companies) unless he buys 100hrs from him first. Yet he thinks its acceptable to post ads on the JOB boards of VR, JH, and JS Firm, as well as set up a booth at JOB fairs!?

I didn't have the balls to. :unsure:

That's an easy one to answer. It wont make him as much money.

Why give a job when you can sell one?

In the end entry level aviation sucks. Look at the dudes flying Beech 1900s for $18,000 a year or the guys flying beat up Senecas across the Cascade mountains in the middle of winter landing with an inch of ice on the leading edges all so they can ferry money orders around for the same pay I was making putting gas into their birds.

Do what you can to put yourself ahead so you can avoid jobs like Boatpix. I'd rather spend two years working as a janitor flying here and there to build hours than to spend my money buying a job that gets me no further.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

Apologies for sticking to the original thread subject, rather than the unrelated, off-topic, boatpix bashing: As the 17,000-hour ATP/CFII in charge of that ferry flight, who would be providing dual XC and IR instruction all the way across the country, and not all of it in a straight line, either, I can report on the plan of action for the flights and the validity of the learning experience.

PA34...you took the pseudonym of a light fixed-wing twin engine airplane, in a helicopter forum. You've got twelve posts to your credit, and your'e a seventeen thousand hour ATP...who's ferrying an R22 across the country?

You're not who you say you are. Several posters with very few posts are all cropping up at the same time to testify on behalf of boatpix. Miracle of miracles.

These differing posts, most likely by the same poster (boatpix) under different names do nothing but undermine what limited, if nonexistent, credibility he might have hoped to have.

A student is going to be 2/3 of the way through his instrument training by virtue of accompanying you on this trip? One would hope not. Perhaps it's time that your instructor certificate was subject to surveillance.

An autorotation at every stop. Wow. What a remarkable, intense level of training. That's almost better than staying in the pattern, isn't it?

• Like 2

www.havasunews.com/news/helicopter-crashes-in-lake-havasu-saturday/article_6d3f04ea-2259-11e2-9db9-0019bb2963f4.html

You can make out TPIX if you look close enough. So who was saying more autorotation practice would be more practical? Not a bad idea since it went under after splashdown. Not the first time I've seen these types of news flashes with the same operator. Oh and how many jobs have to be sold to buy the replacement for $180,000?

(My hats off to the pilots aboard that survived- good job!)

Edited by HeliFun
  • Like 1

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20121027X02310&key=1

www.havasunews.com/news/helicopter-crashes-in-lake-havasu-saturday/article_6d3f04ea-2259-11e2-9db9-0019bb2963f4.html

You can make out TPIX if you look close enough. So who was saying more autorotation practice would be more practical? Not a bad idea since it went under after splashdown. Not the first time I've seen these types of news flashes with the same operator. Oh and how many jobs have to be sold to buy the replacement for $180,000?

(My hats off to the pilots aboard that walked away uninjured- good job!)

With out talking to the pilot directly we may not know until the final NTSB report comes out.

What I have seen in the past (perhaps not what happened here) is as a pilot heads into the wind at low speed and altitude then starts a turn and picks up a tailwind he losses ETL and the aircraft settles. The low altitude gives the pilot very little time to recover, assuming he has the power to do so. The wind in Needles,CA was reported to be 15knots. The power required for low speed flight with a headwind of 15knts will vary with that required for a 15knt tailwind.

Photo and survey type flights can really catch a pilot off guard. It is natural to be in a compromising position which leaves little room for error. If the pilot doesn't maintain situational awareness then an accident will happen. Knowing where the wind is at all times is so important with these flights. As is knowing what will happen as you turn a head wind into a crosswind or tailwind.

Again, I am not saying that is what happened here but it is a comon cause of accidents during photo/survey flights.

• Like 2