Video: R22 saves RC plane from tree tops.

Joe Blow

I recently read the book No Easy Day about the OBL mission. Contained within is a description of analysts whose job was to put together a list of items needed for a given mission. Of course, the list contained every possible item due to the “what if” factor that the operators had to whittle down to lighten the load and base the list on reality of the mission. The operators called these analysts the “Wish Fairies”. Helicopter Wish Fairies are propagating this industry and cheating the new generation of what it’s like to become a pilot.

Sadly, the pussification of this industry is being generated by the “what if” minority. From what I’ve seen, these individuals feed the “most dangerous occupation” propaganda to the non-aviation managers. These managers bring this propaganda to the operation and are backed up by the lazy or scared. After that, it becomes an uphill battle to even do the job…

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

Thats what I was originally getting at with the bumping the controls comment. It seemed like what iffing it too much. But then I thought some people do some amazingly stupid things so maybe its not unreasonable so I figured why not open the rabbit's hole of how far is too far for it.There has to be a line and its going to be subjective based on the individual. It's interesting though to see some replies that aren't just saying take the safety culture as far as you can like most seem to.

Guess you negative posters never seen the guys that work on power lines with these amazing machines, it's really nothing bad at all. I'm hearing a lot of defense mechanisms......intimidated???

For the record, no one but the insane would do powerline work in an R-22 or an R-44 for that matter.

The 500 is uesd because its more stabe, more reliable, and far more crashworthy.

I dont have a problem with what you did...

• Like 2

http://youtu.be/1HCFIuwy1m4

He is a very experienced, and highly skilled pilot. But I agree with both angles. ADM and RM are very important. In his defense, he is a very good CFI... I'm not affiliated with him in any way, but I've watched his students videos on youtube. He ingrains very important skills that some CFI's overlook.

Edited by Joe Blow
  • Like 1

Oh boy... Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but here we go!

Lighten up on me guys...Im a fellow chopper pilot. I do agree the mouth was out of control, but all the throwing me under the bus is uncalled for. Its no different than taking off or landing in a confined area......HELL, THAT IN ITSELF COULD BE CONSIDERED BAD JUDGEMENT. Were not flying cessna 150's here guys, although it sounds like some of you should be......your in dead mans curve every time, or like hanging a platform off your skids with a guy sitting on it fixing high voltage wires, Oh...and the smokie treat I was having is an electronic cigarette, trying reAL HARD TO QUIT! I do respect all of your concerns and some of your comments.....but what really sucks about all this negative feedback is lack of knowledge on your part. You guys that think im just a crazy pilot that should have his wings clipped should relax a little and not be so judgmental ....I have invested hundreds of thousands in this business that i am so passionate about and probably one of the happiest and content human beings on the face of the earth........I hope for you guys spurting off negatives that one day after you have spent enough hours in these amazing machines to truly realize the many dimensions and capabilities choppers have to offer, you can realize that the guy that saved the RC airplane from the tree wasn't so bad after all! QUIT BEING SO UGLY!!!!! FYI.....I didn't post the video.

Look, here's the deal. YOU allowed that camera to be mounted in your helicopter. YOU allowed the video from said camera to leave your direct control and subsequently be posted in the public domain. This ABSOLUTELY gives us the right to comment on it. If it's uncomfortable being under that bus, then maybe you should not allow things like that to be posted.

Or...things like this?

http://youtu.be/a8KW9bgRJGQ

Hey, nice departure! In the name of God, what are you teaching your students?? I'm...I'm appalled. Who do you think you are, the Chuck Aaron of the Robbie world?

And I'm not some low-time pilot. I've been flying these contraptions for over 30 years and unless you report more than 10,000 hours on your flight physical apps I've got more time than you. And so I'm quite aware of their capabilities, thank you. You on the other hand quite obviously have not been in this industry very long - we can tell that. You may love helicopters and love what you do, but your judgement is *seriously* in question. You'd be wise to take the advice of old-timers like me. (That advice would be to grow up and start acting like...and flying like...and adult.)

We talk about how we pilots need to self-police so the FAA doesn't come and do it for us. Well here's your wake-up call, man. This particular pilot (meaning me) does think you're crazy and should probably have his "wings clipped."

Hey, you may like the adoration of your students as they kiss your ass and tell you what a great pilot you are, video evidence to the contrary. Me, I don't share that opinion. And I worry about Rich Ogy and the other students who are going to graduate from your school(?) and then go out into the world thinking that the way *you* fly is a good and acceptable way to fly. Because it is not, no matter how much fun you think it is, or how much enjoyment you get out of it.

You're reckless, man. And you need to bring it down a notch. Or two.

P.S. And after watching your little hot-doggy departure from that guy's house in your R-22, I'd bet real money that it's you as well in the R-44 doing that little airshow that was posted here in this thread. You know the one...where the R-44 guy did the downwind auto and almost balled it up? It's either you or one of your graduates.

• Like 2

Look, here's the deal. YOU allowed that camera to be mounted in your helicopter. YOU allowed the video from said camera to leave your direct control and subsequently be posted in the public domain. This ABSOLUTELY gives us the right to comment on it. If it's uncomfortable being under that bus, then maybe you should not allow things like that to be posted.

Or...things like this?

Hey, nice departure! In the name of God, what are you teaching your students?? I'm...I'm appalled. Who do you think you are, the Chuck Aaron of the Robbie world?

And I'm not some low-time pilot. I've been flying these contraptions for over 30 years and unless you report more than 10,000 hours on your flight physical apps I've got more time than you. And so I'm quite aware of their capabilities, thank you. You on the other hand quite obviously have not been in this industry very long - we can tell that. You may love helicopters and love what you do, but your judgement is *seriously* in question. You'd be wise to take the advice of old-timers like me. (That advice would be to grow up and start acting like...and flying like...and adult.)

We talk about how we pilots need to self-police so the FAA doesn't come and do it for us. Well here's your wake-up call, man. This particular pilot (meaning me) does think you're crazy and should probably have his "wings clipped."

Hey, you may like the adoration of your students as they kiss your ass and tell you what a great pilot you are, video evidence to the contrary. Me, I don't share that opinion. And I worry about Rich Ogy and the other students who are going to graduate from your school(?) and then go out into the world thinking that the way *you* fly is a good and acceptable way to fly. Because it is not, no matter how much fun you think it is, or how much enjoyment you get out of it.

P.S. And after watching your little hot-doggy departure from that guy's house in your R-22, I'd bet real money that it's you as well in the R-44 doing that little airshow that was posted here in this thread. You know the one...where the R-44 guy did the downwind auto and almost balled it up? It's either you or one of your graduates.

I have to say, the first video didn't get me too worked up. But man, all sorts of red flags go up with that one. Complete and total lack of ADM, CRM, professionalism, and safety. Sure the guy is his friend. How about the neighbors? Would they appreciate a rotor blade decorating their living room in the event of a major mechanical failure and subsequent impact? I'd hate to see the consequences of a crash in such a populated area, with people outside and watching.

• Like 1

Nearly Retired said it all......I put together a meeting last Monday with 17 FAA people and our local pilots. Everything helicopter pilots do is under scrutiny, and not just in Los Angeles.This kind of flying, whether it is right or wrong, is not what we need to present to the public.....the same public that is screaming at Congress for more helicopter regulation.

• Like 2

I have to agree. I didnt really have n issue with the "fishing" video but the second one is a bit much.

I am one of those powerline pilots that has those "guys" sitting on a platform working. Those "guys" are highly skilled and qualified linemen who know all about the limits of the aircraft, physical clearances, etc. We rely on them just as much as they rely on us. There is a huge difference between being a cowboy and working on powerlines in the "dead man's curve" (I hate that name). Our work is very calculated, precisely planned and if there is even a question of clearances, physical or electrical, or weather related issues, then we don't fly or attempt it.

We don't hang a platform off the skids either. It rests on the skids and the cargo hook takes most of the weight!

Edited by Trans Lift
  • Like 1

I agree with Nearly Retired. This guy is ridiculous! Very, very unprofessional! The pilot/owner said in one of his posts that he has 6k + hours. I would bet 5k + of his time is as an Airline Captain. No offense to Airline guys but I have just seen so many of those guys that get bored pushing buttons so they learn to fly helicopters so they can have fun flying again. Bottom line is that he is very unprofessional and he's teaching these guys that flying like that is ok. Its really scary that we could be sharing the sky's with pilots like that! I feel sorry for his students that think he is cool. I'm sure this pilot/owner does not have a 141 school or is even professional enough to want to operate or teach to higher standards.

Or...things like this?

• Like 1