Army OCS

If any of you were thinking of going the OCS route now may be the time to do it. They just got rid of the USAREC board for OCS. In order to get an OCS contract you only have to be recommended at the battalion level.

I know this isn't most peoples first choice because you are not guaranteed flight. If you were a non-select this may be a good opportunity.

Holy sh*t.

Here's the message, guys:

USAREC MSG 13-066

051000 February 2013 (EST) USAREC MESSAGE 13-066

To: All Recruiting Personnel

SUBJECT: Suspension of USAREC OCS Board Requirement.

1. This is an IMMEDIATE MESSAGE. Deliver to all recruiting personnel.

2. The requirement for the HQ USAREC OCS selection board is suspended until further notice. Selection and contracting is based on the approval of the Recruiting Battalion OCS selection board. This applies to Regular Army and Army Reserve applicants. This change does not affect the boarding and selection requirements for the WOFT Enlistment Option Program. Applications for the WOFT Enlistment Option will be forwarded to USAREC G3, Special Programs and Boards for boarding and selection. This policy will remain in effect until further notice.

3. Processing instructions and information for Recruiting Battalions:

a. BNs will continue to conduct OCS boards as needed. Board procedures will be conducted IAW UR 601-91 with the exception of the requirement to forward applications to USAREC G3, Special Programs and Boards. BNs will ensure that all applicants boarded are fully qualified for OCS IAW AR 601-210 and UR 601-91.

b. BNs will ensure that all documents required for OCS are completed and scanned into the applicant’s GCRc record. Required documents are listed in UR 601-91, Figure 4-1, page 9.

c. The UF 136 will be signed by the BN Commander or the BN Executive Officer and will be scanned into the applicant's GCRc record. No other BN staff is authorized to sign for the Commander unless under orders as the acting Commander during absences of both the Commander and the XO.

d. The BN OCS Board must consist of a panel of three commissioned officers. Warrant Officers or Non-commissioned Officers are not authorized to be board members. At least two of the three commissioned officers must recommend the applicant for enlistment into the OCS Enlistment Option Program. Applicants not qualified for the OCS Enlistment Option will be advised on other opportunities of the RA or AR.

e. Waivers for the OCS Enlistment Option Program are processed IAW AR 601-210.

f. Recommended/qualified applicants will be scheduled for contracting within 10 days of selection at the Military Entrance and Processing Station (MEPS).

4. Processing instructions and information for Guidance Counselors:

a. Conduct QC check of all OCS applications to ensure all documents listed in UR 601-91, figure 4-1, are scanned into GCRc. Verify enlistment eligibility of applicants as prescribed in AR 601-210 and this message. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements established in the 'QUALS' for MOS 09S (QUALS are listed in REQUEST). Waivers for enlistment and waivers for the OCS Enlistment Option must be completed prior to enlistment in the Future Soldier Training Program (FSTP).

b. Contact the Recruiting Operations Center (ROC) for OCS reservations. Applicants will be placed in the first available OCS class seat.

5. Program Qualification Considerations. The below listed qualifications must be met to be considered by the Board:

a. Regular Army:

1. RA NPS personnel entering OCS are fully eligible for enlistment if they ship to training on or before their 30th birthday. Age waivers will be considered only for applicants who are 30 years old provided

they graduate from OCS and accept commission prior to age 32.

2. RA PS personnel entering OCS must not have more than nine years of Active Federal Service and must enter Active Duty or ship to training on or before their 30th birthday. Age waivers will be

considered only for applicants who are 30 years old provided they graduate from OCS and accept commission prior to age 32.

Army Reserve:

AR NPS and PS personnel entering into OCS must enter Active duty or ship to training prior to their 33rd birthday. RC OCS candidates must graduate and accept commission prior to age 34.

b. Applicants must meet the height and table weight of AR 600-9, regardless of enlistment category; PS, NPS, Glossary NPS and must be able to distinguish vivid red and vivid green (AR 40-501).

c. Minimum GT Score is 110.

d. Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen.

e. PS applicants with over 12 years of active federal service (AFS) must have an AFS waiver approved by CG USAREC prior to enlistment.

f. All waivers required for enlistment (administrative, conduct, and medical) must be approved prior to enlistment.

g. Applicant must be eligible for a SECRET clearance. UF 1227 must be completed and applicant found qualified for a SECRET clearance by the Security Interviewer. Applicants not qualified for a SECRET clearance are disqualified.

h. RA OCS applicants must have completed a degree from an accredited college or university. RA College seniors that have completed 90 semester hours may be boarded and contracted into the FSTP providing they are enrolled in a degree producing program with a projected degree completion date of less than 365 days. Applicants that are considered degree pending must provide documentation (See note below) indicating the intention of accomplishing degree requirements prior to reporting for active duty.

Note: Documentation must be provided in the proof of official transcripts accompanied by a letter from the college indicating applicant is enrolled in a degree producing program with a projected completion date.

i. Applicants processing for enlistment into the AR OCS program must have, at a minimum, a Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university in order to attend OCS for the purpose of earning a

commission as an AR Officer. Exceptions to the education requirement will not be considered.

6. Processing procedures for USAREC G3, Special Programs and Boards:

a. Provide production status reports to the USAREC Command and Staff for the OCS Enlistment Option Program for both RA and AR as needed.

b. Submit residual packets to HRC-Alexandria on all contracted RA OCS applicants for branch consideration. Submit residual packets to HRC-St Louis on all contracted AR OCS applicants.

c. Provide regulatory guidance to the field on the OCS Enlistment Option program.

7. References:

a. Army Regulation 601-210, Active and Reserve Component Enlistment Program, dated 8 Feb 2011 with Rapid Action Revision (RAR) dated 4 August 2011.

b. Army Regulation 40-501, Standards of Medical Fitness, dated 14 December 2007 with Rapid Action Revision (RAR) dated 4 August 2011.

c. Army Regulation 350-51, United States Army Officer Candidate School, dated 11 June 2001.

d. Army Regulation 140-50, Officer Candidate School, Army Reserve, dated 15 October 1999.

e. Army Regulation 600-9, Army Weight Control Program, dated 27 November 2006.

f. USAREC Regulation 601-91, Officer Candidate School and Warrant Officer Flight Training Programs, dated 31 January 2005.

g. MILPER Message 12-380, Regular Army Federal Officer candidate School Program Supplemental Board and Requirements for FY 13, dated 30 November 2012.

h. USAREC Message 13-053, Age Policy Changes to include OCS/WOFT (Updated), dated 11 January 2013.

i. USAREC Message 12-082, Reinstatement of USAREC Regular Army Officer Candidate School (OCS) Board Requirement, dated 7 February 2012 (Updated). (Rescinded)

j. USAREC Message 11-143, Army Reserve (AR) Officer Candidate School (OCS) Degree Requirement, dated 20 April 2011.

Applications for the WOFT Enlistment Option will be forwarded to USAREC G3, Special Programs and Boards for boarding and selection. This policy will remain in effect until further notice.

This sentence makes me wonder if it will change for WOFT too...

Guys, if your ultimate goal is WOFT, don't go for this just become it has become significantly easier. It is damn near IMPOSSIBLE to get an AV slot at OCS, and take a look at Velocity's post down in the "Medevac Hours" thread for an idea of what you are in for as an Commissioned Officer versus Warrant Officer. They are just different. Do what suits you best personally, not the easy route, no matter how tempting this may be.

That said, if your goal is OCS anyway, this is phenomenal news. Jay1829, I'm looking at you.

• Like 1

I hope it does.

I'm confused on why they are doing this. For being on a draw down they are making it easier to get into OCS. It just seems backwards to me.

I'm not sure either, doesn't make sense to me. Waiting for someone over at ArmyOCS.com to weigh in and explain the "why."

• Like 1

Very unexpected turn of events. Could be very useful for those turned down from WOFT...plan B perhaps.

Yeah that's pretty much why I threw this out there. I always planned on perusing OCS if I was turned down for WOFT. I figured other people would have that as a plan B also.

• Like 1

Interesting read.

But one can only wonder, if an applicant didn't get selected as a Warrant, what makes you think he/she'll get selected as a Line Officer?

I'd imagine that eliminating the USAREC board requirement simply makes this much less competitive than WOFT, increasing an individual's chances.

Read this as an attempt for DA to fill commisioned officer jobs that they can fill through the normal selection process. read; they probably suck. When it comes to branch selection, West Point has the first and largest pool of aviation slots, followed by ROTC, then OCS. If you're primary goal is to be a commisioned officer and a leader go for it, if your heart is set 100% on flying you're rolling the dice.

Mike-

• Like 1

I personally know one guy, now an LT flying 60s, that was a two-time non-select for WOFT.

Another good friend of mine who was putting his OCS packet together with the same recruiter I was using branched aviation and now flies 58s out of Hawaii.

Before you ship to basic have a full flight physical done and smoke the SIFT. It will help.

My recruiter keeps pushing OCS on me, he has had two people denied WOFT and went OCS they both branched aviation He is telling me if I show up to OCS with a full flight physical and the SIFT done I should be good.

However after serving six years in the Marine Corps and hearing all the stories of people getting promised things that they never got. I know better to count on anything that is not in the contract.

I wish the Army did things like the Marine Corps and I could get a guaranteed flight contract through OCS, I would like to be a CO some day and I wouldn't mind flying less than the warrants. If selected for WOFT I still plan on submitting an OCS package as soon as possible after flight school.

Tone - are you still active and applying for the WOFT? I might have some questions for you Devil...

No sir, I got out about 6 years ago. I didn't like civilian life so I decided to go get my degree go for Marine OCS. I ended up not being able to get an age waiver to fly so I decided to try WOFT.

No sir, I got out about 6 years ago. I didn't like civilian life so I decided to go get my degree go for Marine OCS. I ended up not being able to get an age waiver to fly so I decided to try WOFT.

Gotcha. And no sir, at least not yet, I'm still just a lowly SSgt. haha

There is more than one way in being branched an Aviation Officer.

1) WOFT (competitive)

2) ROTC (extremely competitive)

3) USMA West Point (extremely competitive)

4) OCS and submit an OFT packet by the 3rd week in OCS
(Have Flight Physical & SIFT done prior to BCT/OCS)

5) Apply to OFT as a 1Lt prior to the Cpt selection board - max age 32
(Last year 2012, 11 only selected)

6) Lastly, revert from LT/Cpt to WO for WOFT.

None are easy obviously, but available for those who wants that PILOT seat.