Cherry Drying in Columbia River Gorge

jslider

Oops. Wrong! "That woman" publicly stated she does not believe in a Creator/God. I do. That is the extent and source of my "heartburn" with her as you call it.

And I really don't have "hearburn" with her for being an atheist, I merely disagree with her belief system which causes me to doubt her (or any atheist's) intelligence and ability to reason logically. And I (perhaps erroneously but I don't think so) connect the dots to her behavior and unpleasant demeanor and the constant strife and drama that seem to follow her around like a rain cloud.

That position is justifiable with respect to dealing with others actions outside the doctrines of Christ (can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit). If he’s a Christian, He should not have any dealings with such people, other than guide them to Christ.

Some of the posters have turned 180 and are now in opposition to this mans free exercise of his religion.

Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

2 Corinthians 6:14

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

2 John 1:9-11

For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain. Do I not hate them, O Lord, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

Psalm 139:20-22

Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law— a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household. Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it. Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.

Matthew 10:34-40

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Matthew 7:16-18

Edited by iChris

And I really don't have "hearburn" with her for being an atheist, I merely disagree with her belief system which causes me to doubt her (or any atheist's) intelligence and ability to reason logically.

shaking-my-head-picture.gif

NR I think it's great that you want to emulate Christ and do good in this world, but the comments above are starting to rustle my jimmies. The fact that you keep saying atheists are not intelligent, aren't logical, and on top of that, are selfish, bitter, and overall bad people because they aren't Christian or accept a God is astounding.

Are you saying Stephen Hawking isn't intelligent and can't reason logically? What about Carl Sagan? Or even Warren Buffet?

What about the huge portion of the scientific community who identify as either atheist or agnostic?

If we're talking about generosity then:

"Who's more generous, religious people or atheists? If you guessed believers, you're wrong, according to a new study conducted at the University of California, Berkeley. Researchers found that atheists and agnostics were actually "more inclined to help their fellow citizens" by, say, giving food or money to those in need, than were people who identified as religious. The study's authors, who surveyed 1,300 Americans, suggested that non-believers may be driven by emotions like compassion, whereas religious people may be motivated by "doctrine, a communal identity or reputational concerns."

there-be-a-shit-storm-a-brewin.jpg

• Like 2

I can't believe this thread...

...They dry cherries with helicopters? How can that be cost effective?

Nice E6/B confuser for your avatar !

Edit for clarity

Edited by aeroscout

Oops. Wrong! "That woman" publicly stated she does not believe in a Creator/God.

Big damn deal. Seriously.

Who cares (other than you)?

I do.

I'd rather not have known your beliefs, actually. I didn't have a lot of respect for you previously. Now I have none. In fact, you've come across as a bitter fruitcake, and the fact that you call yourself a "Christian" yet profess what you do makes it all the more bizarre and confusing. Creatively modified partial Christianity, possibly, with your own rendition of what constitutes the Christ.

That is the extent and source of my "heartburn" with her as you call it.

And your vitriol, as we have seen.

So you're wrong, Avbug.

No. That doesn't happen.

If I do have any "hearburn" at all, it's because she publicly stated that she deliberatly does *not* help out younger helicopter pilots who are trying to break into this cherry-drying business.

Again, big damn deal. Is she under some kind of obligation to mentor people? I've made the same statement on this very web site. I'm not here to mentor anyone. I don't, either.

You're getting this material from her blog? HER blog? Why don't you stop reading it? Perhaps you'll have less heartburn.

And I (perhaps erroneously but I don't think so) connect the dots to her behavior and unpleasant demeanor and the constant strife and drama that seem to follow her around like a rain cloud.

You made wild, baseless assumptions and denigrated the woman based on your perception of her belief system. More to the point, you denigrated her because she doesn't believe as you do. Most confusing of all is that you take her to task for her failure to be a Christian, when your own brand of what you perceive to be Christianity is not in step with Christianity in general, not in keeping with a follower of Christ (even in the section of scripture to which you do ascribe), nor do you observe the basic tenets Christ taught as you sit in judgment, condemn, denigrate and ridicule.

You may be better off doing less dot connecting, worrying about the mote in your neighbor's eye, and concerning yourself more with the beam in your own.

You have to be careful about that word atheistic. It doesn’t mean lack of Spirituality.

Spirituality means something different to everyone. For some, it's about participating in organized religion: going to church, synagogue, a mosque, etc. For others, it's more personal: Some people get in touch with their spiritual side through private prayer, yoga, meditation, quiet reflection, or even long walks.

Research shows that even skeptics can't stifle the sense that there is something greater than the concrete world we see. As the brain processes sensory experiences, we naturally look for patterns, and then seek out meaning in those patterns. And the phenomenon known as "cognitive dissonance" shows that once we believe in something, we will try to explain away anything that conflicts with it.

Most of the Organized Religions have hijacked truth Spirituality, which was spoken to in Revelation 12:9, That's one reason for atheists skepticism.

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Revelation 12:9

Here’s one atheistic view point:

I cannot imagine being happier than I have been already. I live a very spiritual, fulfilling life, and am filled with an abiding love of being and thinking. I find love, reason and a practical, humble approach to life to be more than enough for me.

I believe in many things. I believe in the potential of humanity, in the power of reason, in the comfort of love, and in the value of truth. I also believe in the beauty and joy of human experience, and the nearly unlimited power of the human will to endure almost any hardship or solve almost any problem.

I believe that faith can mislead people into falsehood, and that we need reason and doubt as necessary checks against our capacity for error. I believe that we need to allow our fellow human beings to make choices for themselves and to live the life they wish to, in mutual peace and goodwill.

I believe that political negotiation and compromise -- fuelled by an honest measure of respect for different opinions, beliefs and lifestyles -- is the only way the world will find universal peace and goodwill, and that using the scientific method is the only way the world can arrive at an agreement on the truth about anything.

I believe that it is better to preach the gospel of "be good to your fellow man, and love each other as life itself," than to preach the gospel of "believe in our religion or be damned." For it is better to be good to each other and to build on what we all agree to be true, than to insist that we all think alike.

Edited by iChris

With regard to mentoring. Polls taken of the elderly asking about their regrets show that the 2nd biggest regret was not taking enough risks. Number four was not being affirming, or affirming enough. Take a risk, be affirming. Be a mentor, knock 2 of the top 4 regrets right off you list !

I don't believe in risk. It's foolish and idiotic.

Mentoring isn't exactly a risk.

I've been in all the major combat zones around the globe and many of the hot spots, extensively. I've been shot at and stabbed. I've been run over. I've walked into burning buildings. Been married twice. Ate breadfruit. Went back to school several decades later. Parachuted, more than a few times. Sat in a dentist chair. No regrets.

Mentoring probably won't be one of those regrets. No desire, no need. Not really an adventurous risk. More like an annoyance. Nobody mentored me. Didn't need it. I won't be mentoring anyone else. The world will continue to spin on as if nothing has changed, and in truth it won't have.

Well, since we're now even off the off topic, I may as well throw my hat in.

There are three gas stations at the corner, 76, Chevron, and Shell (all full up with cars)! Why, is it that there are so many people willing to pay .22 cents per gallon more to go to Chevron and Shell than to just cross the street and go to 76?

Gumby, I don't know about the southern part of the state, but I do know that up in the northern part (Lake Chelan and Brewster) both of the established companies, Versatile and Golden Wings have openings and will be hiring. So yes there is room for more pilots, but I can't be sure if there is room for more aircraft. There is a certain amount of demand, AND there is usually never any shortage of people with aircraft who are looking to put them to work...which is why helicopters come from all around the country (mostly on trailers) to do a couple of months of cherry-drying.

But it's hard to commit the assets necessary to put a ship in a remote field for an extended period where it and its pilot can do *nothing* but sit around on standby and wait for it to rain. And sometimes it doesn't rain very much. But you can't be out hopping rides or doing charters on clear days. When a farmer is paying good money to have a helicopter sit in his cherry orchard, by God he wants to see that helicopter when he drives by!

The rate for standby is one thing, but the real money comes when you fly, obviously. If you have a relatively dry season (like 2011 was), then flight-time revenue (and therefore profit) is thin.

On the other hand, if you have a ship that's sitting around doing nothing but costing you money every month and some broker calls you and says, "Hey, you interested in coming up and doing some cherry drying in Washington State for the summer?" you jump on the opportunity. So you pack up and head north-by-northwest. And when you get there you start wheeling-dealing with the farmer to whom you're assigned, trying to get him to cut out the middleman and just hire you directly. That's how a lot of the fly-by-nighters do it, and it is what the female pilot/blogger is afraid of.

Oh wait...that's what *she* did... And now she wants to keep everyone else out.

Yeah!

Cherries suck! Let 'em split! Hell, I don't even like cherry flavored medicine!

Come to think of it, almonds suck too,...and fish!,...BLAH!

Cherry drying, frost patrol, and tuna spotting,...three very dangerous jobs pilots need not risk they're lives on! Cattle mustering on the other hand? A cheeseburger,...now there's something worth risking my life on!

Anyone know how to get into that?

How does one go about drying cherries? Do you hover over a section at a time? How do you know when to move on?

It seems like there ought to be a more efficient way to do it; not that I'm trying to take jobs away from anyone.