OH-58F takes flight

Who knows. We have shot it before from the KW but its actually a prohibited rocket for us.

I wasn't kidding about the 160lb savings. Won't have to trade gas for bullets or vise versa.

Who knows. We have shot it before from the KW but its actually a prohibited rocket for us.

I wasn't kidding about the 160lb savings. Won't have to trade gas for bullets or vise versa.

Yeah I would think that 160 lbs in a place like Afghanistan would come in handy. You think she'll get a few more knots with just the nose sensor and the MMS removed? Edited by Velocity173

FWIW if we're going to bust tanks we have to trade bullets/rockets for hellfire/TOW. So I can't laugh too hard.

Why are we posting this about RC helicopters in the military forum :D

Because unmanned aircraft are the future of military aviation.

One time a KW parked right next to me. I forgot to clear the APU and when I cranked it the exhaust flipped him over.

Sorry Akscott, I couldn't help myself. :)

Edited by Velocity173
  • Like 2

We dont need two engines or IFR or complex systems. A super advanced scout will defeat the real strength of the 58. Super high optempo and OR. We are always flying.

• Like 1

We dont need two engines or IFR or complex systems. A super advanced scout will defeat the real strength of the 58. Super high optempo and OR. We are always flying.

Yeah I suppose they're luxuries and not necessities. It's similar to the HEMS community. They are talking about taking our VFR 407 and replacing it with an IFR EC-135. IFR would only work on a small fraction of the flights. I can't shoot a GPS to a road intersection. Just like in combat I couldn't shoot a GPS to a FOB in an IFR 60. People wonder why 58s and most 64s aren't IFR. Well, they simply have no use for it. It's just the nature of tactical helicopter flying. In combat, 60s and 47s have no use for it either. Only thing we use it for now is to file to some civil airport, get a courtesy car and have lunch. :)

Two engines would be nice though. Give me a little more piece of mind when flying over mountains or wooded areas. If one was shot out you got the other one also. I suppose it mostly comes down to operating costs.

Edited by Velocity173

Until you get briefed down to half a mile on a supply run because the apaches didn't tie down their blades ahead of a sandstorm. Double IMC on the way back means impact handshakes for the whole crew. Ballad tower would like to know why we're squawking emergecy if we're IFR capable. Because we dont do it regularly and we couldnt get a hold of anybody...a-holes.

Until you get briefed down to half a mile on a supply run because the apaches didn't tie down their blades ahead of a sandstorm. Double IMC on the way back means impact handshakes for the whole crew. Ballad tower would like to know why we're squawking emergecy if we're IFR capable. Because we dont do it regularly and we couldnt get a hold of anybody...a-holes.

Lol! "Mortaritaville." Good memories. The dust usually was the worst around that place.

Edited by Velocity173

Lol! "Mortaritaville." Good memories. The dust usually was the worst around that place.

I was there as well (April 04-Oct 04) but I was usually guarding all the toys (Air Force Security Forces at the time). Definitely some memorable times there; Still have a lot of the pics.

Ok cool, because supply runs are a huge part of our mission :rolleyes:

I have yet to cancel a mission that could have been done if we had been able to go IFR. The only thing that came close was trying to self deploy, and even then there was icing so it's not like we could have made it anyway.