R44 vs R66

Hi all,

If you had the option to build hours in either the R44 or R66 and money was no concern, which would you choose and why? Also, you have less than 300 hours total time. Would one or the either benefit better in setting you up for success as far as getting a job later down the road?

JMO but I would take the 66 for the turbine time. I had just over 300 when I applied to a tour operator, and zero turbine time. First question he asked was "how much turbine time ya got?" I think it would have made a difference if I had 20 or so hrs of turbine time, but who knows.

It depends on a few scenarios. Are you currently employed as a pilot? Your first job will probably involve 44's and not 66's. With that amount of TT it is unlikely that you would get a turbine job, not impossible though. Many operators instruct and do tours in the 44 which would most likely be the first job you get. Some of those operators may also have a turbine ship for future advancement.

Do you already have the SFAR 73 sign off in the 44? If not, that would be priority #1 along with attending the Robinson factory course.

If you do have the SFAR 73 R44 endorsement, attended the course, and have 100 or so hours in the 44, then in my opinion you would be "qualified" for a first job in 44. I would then get the extra time in the 66 to diversify your resume.

JMO but I would take the 66 for the turbine time. I had just over 300 when I applied to a tour operator, and zero turbine time. First question he asked was "how much turbine time ya got?" I think it would have made a difference if I had 20 or so hrs of turbine time, but who knows.

Which tour operator asked a 300 hour pilot how many turbine hours he has?

Edited by eagle5

Your question is too vague...

Are you a CFII? If you are, with 300 hours, why build time? You should focus on finding a job, not building hours. However, as a CFII with money to burn it becomes moot. That is, it doesn’t matter what type of machine you fly as long as you have time in the Robinson products and the S300.….

If you do not have a CFII, you should concentrate on attaining this goal because this will be your best shot at entry level employment. Furthermore, it’s a false notion to believe you can pay your way into a professional pilot gig….. While it's not totally impossible, it's just not probable…

In short, no matter how many hours you have or what type of machines you fly, you’ll need to be qualified for a job before you can get a job…

Edited by Spike

What type of jobs is the R66 doing, and how are pilots getting into them? Answer that question and then I'll pick which one to get some free hours in.

Fontana PD operates a R66 and the pilots get into them one-leg-at-a-time…. Therefore, based on your experience, pick a machine and articulate why……

• Like 1

Hi all,

If you had the option to build hours in either the R44 or R66 and money was no concern, which would you choose and why? Also, you have less than 300 hours total time. Would one or the either benefit better in setting you up for success as far as getting a job later down the road?

A lot of times this question is posed, but really if money wasn't an issue we wouldn't be having this conversation, you would be buying your own helicopter:) I will admit there are occasional lucky individuals that land jobs in less common manners, but it is not wise to think that you may be the exception to engineer or pave the way into landing a job in a unique way. This industry has seen it all and the basic building blocks of jobs is pretty straight forward and has been discussed several times in these forums. (Again there are exceptions, but plan on the basic route and hope for the best, but be prepared for the basic route). I think the enthusiasm and desire you have is great and will help you in your future endeavors in this industry. My 2 cents is take a conservative approach, get the hours and piston experience and then do a turbine transition if that is what you are looking to do by standing out and already having the turbine experience. Most companies will give you that transition based on your hard work and dedication to professionalism IF you are PATIENT:)

• Like 1

Hi all,

Be careful of listening to folks who’ve never been "down the road” and subsequently provide a prospective based on their opinion……

Employment starts with being appropriately qualified for the job. After that, it’s mostly about PIC time and attitude. Entry level jobs are recip jobs and this is what entry level employers will want. That is, recip PIC time. DOWN THE ROAD, entry level turbine employers will look at total PIC time and your attitude. Understand, low-time is low-time no matter the type of engine is turning the blades and no matter what some people will say, 1500 hours IS low-time for the entry level turbine market. To believe otherwise is naïve ….

To wit; I landed my first turbine gig with zero turbine experience (emphasis on experience). After that, each and every additional position was gained without any experience in the specific machine operated. Simply put, the employer provided the transition (B206BII/III, B206L3/4, B407, MD500C/D/E, AS350BA/B2/B3). Or, better said, they didn’t care if I had time in a specific type of machine because they only cared about my total PIC time and my attitude….

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the great answers and advice and for being patient. I'm very new to the industry and still trying to figure out my path.

I am aiming for my CFII. All together, I'll have my instrument, commercial, CFI and CFII before this time next year.

Spike, I think I understand what you're saying now. I guess with my extra extra low hours, it shouldn't really matter for my entry level job since other jobs down the road will help my transition to whatever machine I will be operating with. I guess I'm just over-analyzing. I have the option to split my time during commercial and CFI and CFII to either the R44 or R66. I think that's what I'll do and break the hours even to both aircraft.

• Like 1